For the sake of doing something different

David Dalton

Reaction score
Is there an angling method you use now and again just for its novelty value? When I fancy a change from my usual float fishing and legering, I go plug fishing for chub. It's probably never going to catch me a specimen, but that isn't the point. It's just such fun to wander down the river with a light spinning rod and a few Rebel Crickhoppers, catching a chub here and there, with the odd perch or jack pike for variety.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Is there an angling method you use now and again just for its novelty value? When I fancy a change from my usual float fishing and legering, I go plug fishing for chub. It's probably never going to catch me a specimen, but that isn't the point. It's just such fun to wander down the river with a light spinning rod and a few Rebel Crickhoppers, catching a chub here and there, with the odd perch or jack pike for variety.

Be carefull with those lures mate, they are addictive ;)

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lure fishing for Chub is very effective - dunno why I've never tried it:confused:
Perhaps its on the to do list next season!!

Christian,
if you decide to give lure fishing a go then take a look on the agm angling web site, they sell loads of very good quality lures at superb prices and have loads that are a suitable size for Chub (and perch) The average price is about 25% lower than most other sites and top brands too!!

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Good advice, but too late - I've got drawers full of the things, some I've had for years and never yet used...

Same here mate, but they look nice, especially to a tackle tart like me ;) Just don't mention collecting centrepins, you will have the whole world and his dad advising you on which is the best...Or not :)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Not used much at all these days but a few years back I bought a dapping line and went dapping for Dace or anything else that would take a surface fly.

It was a lot of fun on the Hampshire Avon and come to think about it; I must give it another go when the river is back to its' normal self . . . . .

terry m

Reaction score
Whilst I never purposely target chub with lures, I have nailed a few decent specimens whilst river piking with large jerkbaits and 5 inch shads. It is surprising how they will go for such large lures!