Big pike-- repeat captures

flightliner

Reaction score
Has anyone here experienced or know of pike anglers who have had experience of "BIG" pike being caught twice or more in the same day.
By big I mean at or around the twenty pound mark.

B

binka

Hi Mick,

I don't know if it's any use as a generalisation as the lake it happened on was a private estate duck decoy which had never been fished but I had one just over eighteen some years ago and caught the same fish about sixty yards out in the same place as first caught around fifteen minutes after releasing it.

There were no too ways it was the same fish at the same weight as it only had one eye!

Just for the record three of us fished for three and a half hours and took twenty nine pike between us with me crabbing the biggest at 27lb 4oz.

There was also a pike feature recently in the Dangler's Mail and a guy caught the same pike on a gravel pit a few hours apart, if I remember correctly around 16lbs.

flightliner

Reaction score
Thanks binka, interesting stuff.
I,ve had several species more than once on the odd occasion but never pike to the best of my knowledge.
If there was a league table for the one that would win the duffers prize I reckon it would go to the Barbel--- much as I love em.
what bemuses me with the pike however is that when they really get a feeding head on it would seem that they are almost suicidal but I,ve never had one more than once in a sitting--- curious really.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Flight,

I've thought long and hard on this aspect of pike fishing, even consulted my old fishing diaries. Having logged up a few thousand pike including a number of biggies, I can't recall repeat captures on the same outing. But I stress ''can't recall'', but I'm sure as I can be, that in my own particular case, had there been more than an isolated example it would have been noted.

Theorising for a moment on a water with low densities of prey fish it might be possible. But then would such a water be capable of turning up fish in excess of twenty pounds, maybe not. :D

Reaction score
Had a nineten three times in an afternoon on a fen drain a few years ago. The final capture was a few hundred yards away from the first. This year although not the same day I've had the same twenty two days running.

john step

Reaction score
There is a near 30lb pike in my local club lake that has been out 3 times this year. The last bloke who caught it has been back trying to catch it again. Why I ask myself. Is it to give it a NAME like the carpers do?
About repeat captures on the same day.. I once returned a small jack caught on worm whilst chub fishing in a low clear stream. It lay in the edge sulking as they do and then I was amazed to to see it dart out and take a worm again a few minutes later.

flightliner

Reaction score
Amazing contrast there in peoples experience, to some its its a "may happen again" for others maybe or never.
Co- incidentally I picked up an old copy of a pike/predator mag today while on the bankside and there inside is a pike man saying how he had a repeat capture of a twenty plus pike himself.

ps, Derek, any chance of asking Gordie next time he's round at yours????

micksmith39

Reaction score
Had 4 trips to a local 6 acre pit ,each time i fished a different swim,and each time i caught the same 2 pike,not a good sign imo,not gone back since.

terry m

Reaction score
A 21lber was caught two swims apart on the same day at a local pit two or three years ago.

It is not a common occurrence but it does happen from time to time it seems.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Amazing contrast there in peoples experience, to some its its a "may happen again" for others maybe or never.
Co- incidentally I picked up an old copy of a pike/predator mag today while on the bankside and there inside is a pike man saying how he had a repeat capture of a twenty plus pike himself.

ps, Derek, any chance of asking Gordie next time he's round at yours????

Flight, he's due over any time, and I'll certainly ask him. It should make for an interesting afternoon debate, though I suspect I already know his answer.

I'll let you know the outcome.

philblakey

Reaction score
I've had a small jack, put it back then it's took the same lure the next cast. Truth be known i've had that happen twice (possibly happens with small jacks more often, but we don't notice?), never had it happen with anything decent though.
I've twice had a double then caught it the following day, once from a reservoir. The other was on a river.
From memory that's about it for me, i don't recall any more.
Phil.

rubio

Reaction score
I don't do much piking myself, but a polish bloke I saw on the local river said he'd NEVER caught the same fish more than once.

flightliner

Reaction score
I've thought long and hard on this aspect of pike fishing, even consulted my old fishing diaries. Having logged up a few thousand pike including a number of biggies,

Derek, are you sure you looked thro volumes 4/5/6 of "twenties only" could be you,ve missed a few ?????:wh;):D

nicepix

Reaction score
I don't do much piking myself, but a polish bloke I saw on the local river said he'd NEVER caught the same fish more than once.

Funnily enough the Latvian angler who lives near us has never caught the same catfish twice.

Mr. Flightliner, I once witnessed a guy fishing near to the caravan site at Stamford Bridge, East Yorkshire who hooked the what looked like the same pike three times in less than half an hour. He lost it every time, but it would have pushed 25lb had it seen the scales.

p.s. If you want some big pikes have a trip out to that place I mentioned last week. The water should be running clear by now. ;)

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Derek, are you sure you looked thro volumes 4/5/6 of "twenties only" could be you,ve missed a few ?????:wh;):D

Funny you should say that Flight, I spent much of last night checking the photo albums, starting with the old black and white pictures from around 1966 up to the present day. Checking the wrist tail patterns of the fish,(probably the most reliable method of identifying big pike), sad old sod eh. Still reckon I'm more right than wrong though, but three more albums to go.

Oops, best pull up the drawbridge now. ;) :D

Reaction score
I was there today, witnessed the probably tenth catching of a mug twenty since Christmas, at least it looks well. Sad thing was the captor said one of his mates had had it and he was disappointed he hadn't. I took the pics for him and he went home happy. Fair do's.

The saddest thing I ever saw was a fish not far south of forty being introduced ito a small syndicate carp pond.. Within weeks it wa several localnglersPB regardless if they[d never fished for pike before,the place was surrounded,the first time it came out I was havng a walk round and netted it for somewhone, whoeveverit was, hell of a fish at that size but not real. It was a duck shoot. When the syndicate lader declared on the first capture it was a great day in English pike fishiing history I cringed.

flightliner

Reaction score
Oops, best pull up the drawbridge now.
Share this post on Twitter
Share on Facebook
| Like [/quote

]Only one or two could storm your ramparts Derek and still wouldnt make much of an impression on them.

Nicepix, Sure thats good advice but I think my currant plans will be taking up whats left of my time with the remaining few weeks of the season.
I havent dissmissed the venue tho--- my kind of place for a nice surprise.
Hope yours ends well.

Graham D. --- really sorry tale , piking does'nt get any sadder than that .

Last edited:

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Fishing in Marlow weirpool a couple of years ago, my mate hooked a pike which broke him. Literally within a few minutes my DB was away and lo and behold same pike with my mates hooks in it. About 15lbs, disgorged and slipped back.

A very hungry (and lucky!) Pike.

Stu