Travelling (the cost of fuel)

monty

Reaction score
With the price rises in fuel that seems to increase weekly, i find that i am starting to keep the distance i am prepared to fish down to minimum.It cost us around £50 to fill the car with diesel and that is not really using the car every day.So if you use the car for work and fishing god knows what the bill would be.It will soon be a case you can afford to fisht but cannot afford to get there.If i need to go to a tackle shop for anything it is a round trip of 40 miles to peterboro.

Do any of you start to question whether you should fish certain venues because of the distance involved because of fuel costs,where as a before you never gave it a second thought.

Deanos

Reaction score
I have certainly started to look at my own fuel costs monty.

As the new river season starts I shall be doing alternate (his car one week, mine the next) sessions with a mate to help with the fuel costs.

One venue I really wanted to "campaign" on will have to be tackled over longer sessions, but less frequent visits if that makes sense.

It comes home to me these days when you put £20 squids of diesel in the car, and the needle hardly moves.

Of course this is only the start of things to come, future aint too rosy.

I am lucky that I COULD walk to some of my local venues if I travel really light, and may well do so over the summer months.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
It cost me £65 to fill up on unleaded the other day.

Usually I don't give it a second thought doing a 200+ mile round trip for fishing, but seeing as I only get 30-35 per gallon out of my Laguna on a good day I've started to feel the pinch!

So yes, I'm sure in the future as the price of fuel continues to rise I will become more selective of the venues I am actually willing to travel to.

The FM fish-ins will always get priority though.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Indeed, it costs me a good £10 more to fill the tank now than it did a mere 4 or 5 months ago.

Problem is buses don't tend to drop you off with all your tackle at that overgrown swim 3 miles from the nearest main road do they.

I am lucky in that I have some great fishing on my doorstep, well a very short drive from my doorstep anyhow.

If I bought a travel rod I might even be able to cycle to a few spots.

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
My "local " spots have turned into the ones that I pass on my way home from work. I drive 50 miles a day to get to work and back and im lucky as I have a choice of about 4 different style venues to target. That said, my fishing has now become short 3 or 4 hour sessions with minimum kit. It makes me think harder and work harder to catch which is great.

Dave Smith

Reaction score
Been thinking about this for weeks now, when I started working in leics £40 would get me to work for 4 days, and I' still have a little left for fishing locally.

now it's costing me £55 each shift and theres nothing left, so any fishing means more fuel in the tank.

I've a lake 10 minutes from me that I haven't fished for years... fished it last week will be fishing it again this week and it will probably make up a fair amount of my fishing this year.

Any trips involving any distance will be for longer sessions to make the travelling costs less painfull.

BTW it now costs me £80 to fill up!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
My usual fishing trips entail a round journey of at least 100 miles and much further in a lot of cases so I am now thinking to myself that it is becoming a very costly days fishing. I run a 2 litre Mondeo and even though it is diesel it is still costs me between £12 and £15 even for my nearer places. Add £5 for a dayticket £2.50 for a pint of red maggots if I take them and suddenly I am looking at £20 plus for a days fishing,thats a lotof money for a days fishingisn't it?

There are a couple of venues in the local area but to be honest I wouldn't enjoy fishing them so its a case of fork out or don't go, not much of a choice really so I pay up and look big. If I was an MP I could claim these trips as expenses so I'm considering standing for parliament now /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

J

john conway (CSG - ACA)

It's not going to get any better, I've also got to make a 40 mile round trip to my nearest tackle shop which is not in the direction I go fishing and even if it was it's not open after work hours or at 3-o-clock in the morning. Unfortunately, it will have to be the internet for everything andTesco online for cheap bread and sweetcorn etc. My trips down to the Ribble, 80 mile round trip, will have to be less frequent but longer, like Friday night through to all day Saturday etc.

I've not passed that one passed our Lass yet./forum/smilies/eye_rolling_smiley.gif

BTW my average fishing expenditure over the last six years has been about £30/week of which 28% was fuel. Average mileage 110 miles/week. I fish all 52 weeks of the year coarse and game which is at least local.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
usually at this time of year fish for Tench but as its a 100 mile round trip for 4 hours fishing i have knocked it on the head this year.

F

Fred Bonney

Get yourselves a Skoda Octavia 1.9 diesel I get 60 mpg, so my round trip to the Trent, 90 miles round trip less than a tenner, lob worms & PLM.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
I have to admit the next time i change my car. It will be driven by the milage from a gallon of juice.

Upgrading at present would save me on juice at present but would cost me more with trade in value against the cost of the new car.

stephen webb

Reaction score
As someone, who is visiting different fisheries for a website, the rising cost of fuel is really hitting me (if any fuel companies read this, and wish to supply a tanker to follow my Grand Voyager).

It now means I have tothink about longer sessions in some places.

www.accessibleangler.com

Dave Smith

Reaction score
To be honest it makes you think about the waters you have on your doorstep. the water close to me has (I found out last week) produced a 10.11 Tench and Bream over 12. I last seriously fished it 15 years ago and then a good fish was a 6. and as the rangers very rarely check tickets it's almost free. even buying a season ticket only costs £25. and it's only a 6 mile round trip! the down side is the idiots... not such a problem as I'll be fishing it mid week rather than weekends.

My river fishing (not that I do much to be honest) means a round trip of about 80miles. minimum.

Odd sessions arn't a problem but any type of campaign really needs weighing up.

I'm off to North Yorks next month for a NAC fish-in, £40 fuel bill + £20 tickets for 48 hours. expensive without bait etc....

Andrew Huxtable

Reaction score
LPG gents and ladies, i`m in the process of tryin to convince the G/F to get it installed, up here in scotland we can get a grant to cover, i think 80% of the price or around that mark and its currently under 40pence a litre for LPG, it does use more though, around a third so your looking at 53pence a litre to run your petrol. Only problem is that it doesnt work on oil burners

B

Bob "chubber"Lancaster (ACA)

suppose i,m lucky then i have around5 rivers to fish and that lets me have around 8 or 10 different venues , around ten or twelve pits and lakes and 4 tackle shops all within ten miles radius , bloody hell i'v won the lottery, well thats what it feels like. And i do sympathise with you all fuel costs are terrible.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I am thinking of getting a diesel Citroen C2 or the new VW Blueline 3 cylinder 1.4 diesel which according to reviews does 78 mpg all round cycle and will turn in 100 mpg on the open road at a steady 60 mph.

Ford Mondeos and such are not very economical - 35 mpg is crap!

E

EC

I moved last year and now have severalrivers, canals andstillwaterswithin reasonable distance. I'd be knackered now if I hadn't moved, without doubt my coarse fishing would definitely have suffered. In 'the old days' everysession entailed a 60 mile round trip on average, and if I went to the Severn you could double that.

Oil companies, governments, OPEC..........raus!

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
The problem I've got Ron is that I usually need to get three sets of fishing gear into the car, so I need a fairly big hatch back or estate.

And when I stick the top-box on that dents the consumption even more.

It's digraceful how the oil companies can name their price and the Gov't aint complaining cos they're raking it in!

J K

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Ford Mondeos and such are not very economical - 35 mpg is crap!</blockquote>Ron I've got a mondeo diesel which averages about 48mpg. Attending the Clattercote teach in it averaged 55mpg. But I'm lucky where I live, my club ticket gives me fishing on the Trent and Dove, canal, gravel pits and pools all within a 20 mile radius.