Purely For Pleasure

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Anybody else got any experience of fishing with these new, longer rods?

J

Jason Blackwell

I`ve used one for fishing deep river swims,on the R Trent & Bristol Avon:- I still prefer my shorter rods for normal stick float/trotting applications...whatever people say they are heavier/more unwieldy than 13/14 ft rods.
I`ve also used it for margin fishing for Tench:Excellent at reaching over lily`s and weed to drop your bait in:- You`ll have to see it to believe the bend in them when you hook a decent fish:- Landing a double figure carp was a hilarious experience!!

J

Jason Blackwell

I`ve used one for fishing deep river swims,on the R Trent & Bristol Avon:- I still prefer my shorter rods for normal stick float/trotting applications...whatever people say they are heavier/more unwieldy than 13/14 ft rods.
I`ve also used it for margin fishing for Tench:Excellent at reaching over lily`s and weed to drop your bait in:- You`ll have to see it to believe the bend in them when you hook a decent fish:- Landing a double figure carp was a hilarious experience!!

J

John Toohey

I bought the same MAP 18-20' rod five weeks ago and it still has not seen water.I lost count how many times I have put a reel on it in the house just trying it for feel.I bought the rod for the likes of the County Ground and Quarry on the Severn but I will also be using it on a lot of other waters,one thing is for sure it is going to be a useful tool. I might get to use it on the Ribble tomorrow as the river levels are looking very good.
John.

C

Carp Angler

Yeah, I've got a 20footer.
Fantastic in the correct situation, definitely takes a bit of getting used to.

M

Mike Fidler

I've got one too, Fantastic for fishing a pole float on places like Drayton resevoir. I've landed many good carp to 14lb on only 4lb mainline as the rod is sush a great shock absorber. So good that I found I had to backwind to let fish have line instead of coming off the clutch. I've been very happy with this rod and have put it to many different uses and it has always come through well.

A

Alan Cooper

I've got one - an Annex Excel - which I have yet to use. I will post report when I've given it a test.

Alan Roe

Reaction score
I had one of the Silstar 20 footers to be honest I found it to be a cumbersome thing and a swine to keep anything like steady in a wind!!It wanted to play spin the angler!!
Needless to say I have since flogged it..

C

Carp Angler

Mine's a Silstar Traditional.
About 5 odd years old.
Bit heavy, but not really a problem for a bloke my size.

G

Goose Ganderton

I?ve got one of the map 18/20ft rods and I must admit that it took a little getting used to. The first time i used it at 20ft i could?nt believe how far away the tip was I was fishing a canal and could nearly pick the nose of the guy on the opposite bank. It is great for fishing down the margins or float fishing in deep water. I have used it a couple of times at 18ft for long trotting and it feels good and takes line off the water like a dream.

P

Paul Rhodes

what you should remember as well is that a 10ounce roach feels like a 2pound chub when useing 18-20 foot rods.My advice is when you get one is to fish it as often as you can and you'll find it gets a lot better with practice.