Hello! Luke with a centerpin

tramp

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm luke from Rotherham, I started fishing around two years ago after my father-in-law took me to a local pond. I have very little practicle fishing experience and have only fished commercial ponds mostly with a pole.
I work at Cottam Power Station on the river trent, the station has a private section of bank and this year me and my father-in-law are going to get permits (through the stations sports and social club) and fish it, I'm looking forward to it as I have never fished flowing water before, Also Im excited at taking on some wild river fish (fish that have spent their lives swimming against the current). For christmas I got a center pin reel so I'm hoping to do some serious trotting, in fact centerpin advice is what has brought me here,
I have no experiance at all using the center pin reel and what little im finding on the internet seems to be aimed above my ability. What I'm looking for is advice on is Equipment (what rod would be best suited?) line (what rating mono or braid), rigs, set up & methods. This will be on the rver trent and although I don't really want to come accross any big fish yet I think I aught to be prepared for them. So ANY advice would be greatly recieved

Cheers
Luke

B

binka

Hi Luke and welcome to FM.

The first thing to consider is forget everyone else and can I have a permit too please? ;)

Seriously though it sounds as though you are in for some great fun... does the power station discharge warm water into the river, I know they used to but not sure nowadays but if it does I would step up the standard trotting gear as you will be encountering some good fish.

I always used to fish a 3-4lb mainline and hooklinks down to 1.7lb with a size eighteen hook under a stick float and maggot which would see you bagging all day but the river has changed in my parts and silver fish are not as prolific anymore, standard gear for the larger stuff is now 6lb mainline fished straight through or a very slightly lighter hooklink if I know there are snags and if i'm targeting Barbel I won't go below 8lb bare minimum.

Can't really be of help on the centrepin but somebody will be along shortly :)

All the best and tight lines :w

tramp

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, Im looking forward to getting started, I suppose the center pin reel will be a learning curve, I'll see how I get on with it.

As for discharging warm water, we do discharge water from our on site drains but its all closely monitored by the EPA (We have strict guidelines to follow) so I'm pretty sure it isn't as warm as it used to be. We do take water from the river as well. We seem to get plenty of eels in our cooling system and we get the odd bream that makes it through the pumps too!

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hi Luke and welcome to FM.

The first thing to consider is forget everyone else and can I have a permit too please? ;)

Seriously though it sounds as though you are in for some great fun... does the power station discharge warm water into the river, I know they used to but not sure nowadays but if it does I would step up the standard trotting gear as you will be encountering some good fish.

I always used to fish a 3-4lb mainline and hooklinks down to 1.7lb with a size eighteen hook under a stick float and maggot which would see you bagging all day but the river has changed in my parts and silver fish are not as prolific anymore, standard gear for the larger stuff is now 6lb mainline fished straight through or a very slightly lighter hooklink if I know there are snags and if i'm targeting Barbel I won't go below 8lb bare minimum.

Can't really be of help on the centrepin but somebody will be along shortly :)

All the best and tight lines :w

Can't argue with any of that, binka's bang on.

aebitim

Reaction score
Rod depends a bit on budget. If you are looking for 1 rod for all situations and can spend £60 the diawa proteus 14 or 13 ft might fit the bill, I have never fished the Trent so cant really advise. Which centerpin have you got?

tramp

Reaction score
Nothing fancy just the TF Gear classic with line guard, I know in terms of centerpin reels it isn't an expensive one but hopefully it will good to learn the techniques on (& not so cheap that its unusable) since I started fishing I've always fancied a center pin they just look better and seem to be closer to the roots of fishing, simple & elegant.
Thanks for the rod advice, yeah a good allrounder is what I'm looking for, I think ill opt for the 13" to help with casting, when using a centerpin is it best to use mono or braid? I have no braid experience at all!

Cheers
Luke

The Sogster

Reaction score
Hi and welcome Luke.

Line choice is down to personal preference, I use drennan floatfish/ beyer perlon on my pin.
The important aspect is that the line should float.

Try not to use too light a float with too heavy a line - better to have a heavy float as they are easier to control if new to the method.

Tight lines.

tramp

Reaction score
Thanks!
6lb drennan floatfish ordered, what would your thoughts be on good simple trotting rig? I really appreciate all the advice & can't wait to get started! Id love to catch a bigger fish than my father-in-law, its all about the friendly competition, last time we went fishing he got the edge over me by soaking his luncheon meat in sweetcorn juices (sweetcorn was banned) he just kept pulling fishes out while I had very few bites!

Last edited:

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
While you are learning to use the pin whip a second butt ring as close as you can to the first. This will allow you to pull off twice as much line as you normally would and double your cast.