Fishing blogs

theartist

Reaction score
Not got one myself but wondering if it is an avenue worth going down to get exposure

So has anyone got a blog, if so how many visitors does it attract?

Cheers
Rob

ravey

Reaction score
I don't have one myself, but enjoy reading other people's. Rufus (Idler's Quest) has one of the best going, but due to the rotten weather and river conditions (and season in general for me), even he is starting to run out of things to report on.

jimlad

Reaction score
I have a blog.

It's getting around 75 visitors a day at the moment, which is good but I know others get a lot more. quite interesting to see where these cone from as well. A lot are from forums, but many stem from google searches or links from other blogs. Also, quite interesting to see worldwide where the views are coming from.

www.jimmysfishing.blogspot.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theartist

Reaction score
Thanks guys i'm guessing a blog has to be updated for people to stay interested and keep coming back? I like the diverse fishing on your one Jim and it looks like you have some beautiful rivers up there mate.

jimlad

Reaction score
Aye, regular updates provide a jump in visitor numbers.

The northern rivers are cracking, a bit in the wild side at times!

B

binka

I enjoy reading a good blog, the only trouble is finding the time to do it.

Rob... what are your reasons for wanting exposure?

I might be wrong but if it's linked to your artistry I'm wondering if there might be more direct areas that you could visit or maybe just networking through angling related sites and forums with something to view if you have something that you would like to bring to their attention?

If you do, can we have a shufty? :)

no-one in particular

Reaction score
A bit off topic but, I think there are too many fishing forums - blogs. When you type in fishing forum into Google you get hundreds of thousands entries. So many to go round and many forums/blogs bite the dust. I know of one that has given up and another that is suffering through lack of input lately and this happens all the time. It is a shame when someone puts a lot of effort into something and it does not get off the ground just through too much choice and a bewildering amount of diversity. I often wonder if there was a way that some of these forums and/or blogs could join forces. Choice is a good thing but, too much choice isn't.
Would half a dozen super forums/blogs all housed under one roof be a good thing.

theartist

Reaction score
Jim, Nothing wrong with wild river fishing thats how i like it too

Mark, the cream will rise to the top surely, good writers can make a name for themselves like good artists its just selling yourself thats the hard bit

Binka, I have got a fishing project i'm working on that will make a great blog/book when finished but yes my initial thoughts at the moment will be to get people looking at my art.

I'm on many forums and i love talking fishing so my signature leads people to my ebay site where they can see my work if they want, but if i randomly post drawings up i tend to get modded as tackle traders usually grass me up as they are not allowed to 'advertise'

Like i said if you click on my username then my homepage you should see my stuff, i can try putting a drawing up on here but it may get removed.

Last edited:
B

binka

Very nice drawings indeed Rob, i'm moving house in the next few months and I think a few of those will be finding their way on to a wall or two.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I often wonder if there was a way that some of these forums and/or blogs could join forces. Choice is a good thing but, too much choice isn't.
Would half a dozen super forums/blogs all housed under one roof be a good thing.

I agree that blogs do seem to have fragmented forums to the point where they are almost on the edge of extinction. People prefer blogs because they give them an editorial control which a forum by it's very nature doesn't. This is good for the individual blogger but imo stifles any meaningful discussion as the owner of the blog can choose to only show comments which agree with his own and in certain cases even edit contradictory arguments to make those who hold them look stupid.

Your question about a about a place where these forums and/or blogs could join forces under one roof already exists, it's called facebook, love it or hate it it is the future...........At least it is for now.

Frothey

Reaction score
I have a blog.

It's getting around 75 visitors a day at the moment, which is good but I know others get a lot more. quite interesting to see where these cone from as well. A lot are from forums, but many stem from google searches or links from other blogs. Also, quite interesting to see worldwide where the views are coming from.

I think you'll find most of those are crawlers collecting web data..... the ones to really worry about are the Chinese ones!

jimlad

Reaction score
The majority come from people clicking the link on forum posts

Frothey

Reaction score
Crawlers will follow links on bigger sites - that's how they end up with email data, etc.

If you have access to SEO software like Google analytics for the site the blog is hosted, you can see how long each "person" stays on each page, if indeed they make it past the home page. If you are really getting 70+ real different individuals hitting your site every day, you are doing pretty well - a lot of commercial sites would kill for that.......

jimlad

Reaction score
Many of the other hits come from google searches, examples such as "river tees pike" or " chub on steak". Tagging things in posts helps with this. Other hits come from the more popular blogs, where they have my blog on there reading list. As an example, by the way, putting the link above hot 30 hits in 2 hours

---------- Post added at 12:50 ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 ----------

If I stop posting there is a decline in the amount of hits.

One of the more popular posts recently was a review of some budget barbel gear....it appears budget gear is sought after

theartist

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys.

The way i see it now is that a blog is handy as you can have your url at the bottom like you do jimlad as its not a commercial site. If i was to put my ebay url as my signature i'm sure it would get modded.

Blogs look good although i bit of work i suppose i'm surprised there aren't more about as i think you can make some money through advertizing space. Never quite got facebook though although i think i'm alone on that one.