Greys G-Lite 6' Spinnig Rod 4 - 8lb

B

binka

I've had my eye on one of these for a few weeks and wondered if anyone had used or waggled one of them, it looks ideal for small Mepps and micro plugs which I intend on giving a go this year.

I'm looking for a compact, ultra light and ultra slim rod for perch mainly.

Anyone got any feedback?

Cheers fellas.

Deecy ACA

Reaction score
I am using the 8 - 12 lb version 6'6" with 3 - 7 gram jig heads on the local canal for Perch using braid. If it is half as good as mine you won't regret buying a Greys , like all the Greys rods I have I think they are excellent.

B

binka

Thanks for that, much appreciated..

I've got a couple of Greys for other disciplines and pretty much of the same opinion, i'm really looking forward to having a close look at one of these.

Cheers :w

B

binka

Well I like the look of the rod and just read 16 reviews all of which scored it five out of five with the exception of one four so i've taken the plunge and ordered one.

Not the riskiest thing i've ever done at under seventy quid including p&p :)

If anyone's interested the reviews I read they are here: Review Greys G Lite Spin | Harris Sportsmail Reviews

Deecy ACA

Reaction score
I would appreciate your opinion of the lighter rod , cheers
Dave

B

binka

No worries mate, will do... it might be the middle of next month before I get to whip the water to a foam with it but as soon as I do i'll drop you a line with the feedback :)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Binka i've had one for a few years now and it's excellent. I've mainly used it on the canal targetting perch but have had pike to 11lb with it and had a few chub on the river also. I fish braid (power pro) in 8 to 15lb breaking strains. Any small fixed spool will be good, I use an okuma vs 30 (a brilliant little reel) and feels spot on on the rod.
My opinion is it's a super little rod and i'd deffo reccommend it.

B

binka

Thanks tigger, i'm really looking forward to using it.

I've not really toyed with spinning too much in the past but there have been times recently when i've just fancied it and I like the idea of being able to keep some compact stuff in the boot of the car so I can have a go on the spur of the moment if I want to.

I was lucky enough to win a rare auction for a spare spool for the TDX on Fleabay last week so I think that this will be the reel to accompany the rod and i've got the ideal place to try it lined up right on Mark's manor... I might see if he's up for a session but he's not allowed to bring a centrepin! :D

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks tigger, i'm really looking forward to using it.

I've not really toyed with spinning too much in the past but there have been times recently when i've just fancied it and I like the idea of being able to keep some compact stuff in the boot of the car so I can have a go on the spur of the moment if I want to.

I was lucky enough to win a rare auction for a spare spool for the TDX on Fleabay last week so I think that this will be the reel to accompany the rod and i've got the ideal place to try it lined up right on Mark's manor... I might see if he's up for a session but he's not allowed to bring a centrepin! :D

I usually use a mepps, small spoon etc and it realy is great to use...i'm sure you will like it :).
What !...you won't let him bring a trent along to show off the drag system ;):D

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have been a fan of Grey's spinning rods for sometime now as I love the quality for the price and the G-lite is one of my favourite rods, even a 8oz perch puts a bend in the rod and a smile on my face :)

If you have never used Sportsmail before you won't be disappointed. I have spent hundreds with them and never had a problem and love the quick delivery times too :)

Try Tackle UK, I have just started to buy a few bits from them and I have found the service superb!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have been a fan of Grey's spinning rods for sometime now as I love the quality for the price and the G-lite is one of my favourite rods, even a 8oz perch puts a bend in the rod and a smile on my face :)

If you have never used Sportsmail before you won't be disappointed. I have spent hundreds with them and never had a problem and love the quick delivery times too :)

Try Tackle UK, I have just started to buy a few bits from them and I have found the service superb!

Got mine off evilbay for 25 ripp's :D

B

binka

Well thanks for that Mark, i've just checked out and am now the thick end of a couple of hundred quid lighter! :eek:

Still... should have a good assortment of different weight jig heads, hook sizes, body sizes and patterns to have a good go at, I was a bit confused with it all to begin with but really looking forward to experimenting with 'em now :)

B

binka

As an aside and with reference to the Savage Gear lures i've brought has anyone else searched for "soft 4play" and clicked through to include adult orientated search results? :) :) :)

Edited to add: Is someone at Savage Gear having a laugh?

I've just noticed their "swim and jerk" lures... I ain't even gonna search on that one, i'm bad enough trying to swim with two arms let alone one!

Last edited:

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
As an aside and with reference to the Savage Gear lures i've brought has anyone else searched for "soft 4play" and clicked through to include adult orientated search results? :) :) :)

I've just noticed their "swim and jerk" lures... I ain't even gonna search on that one, i'm bad enough trying to swim with two arms let alone one!

Mate, have a look at the savage gear 3D pray, they are great little lures and they really do look like real fish especially the Rudd 71 version, nearly to nice too use ;)
Also a site I have found that do cheap lures is AGM LURE FISHING SUPPLIES. They have loads of rubbers and hard baits and apart from their own brand HRT Lures (which are good by they way) they also stock Storm, Heddon and other top brands but you have to be quick as I think they just buy in what the companies are clearing and when they have gone there gone!

Did you manage to get to billy Clarkes? he stocks loads of lures, especially Savage gear...love them, very good quality lures IMO ;)

Last edited:
B

binka

Hi Mark,

I managed to keep away from Billy's but i'm back in Sheffield on Monday, having spent a small fortune in Lanes of Coventry today I might try and refrain again :eek:

Thanks for the info, I was home this afternoon to receive the rod but have to collect the Savage Gear stuff from local depot tomorrow (different carriers) and i'm well chuffed with the rod and the matt finish :)

It balances lovely... Is this rod and the TDX made for each other or what?

IMG00859-20130228-1822_zpsd76b5687.jpg

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I use my Shimano Stradic 2500 front drag with mine mate and they go together like peas and carrots!

---------- Post added at 07:45 ---------- Previous post was at 07:42 ----------

has anyone else searched for "soft 4play" and clicked through to include adult orientated search results?

A mate of mine once did a search for a recipe for Peking Duck and got a site for a Brothel in Manchester! :)

valleybrown

Reaction score

Bushwhaker anyone :eek:mg:

---------- Post added at 06:14 ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 ----------

Bushwhaker anyone :eek:mg:

Then there was that Savagear rod called a Boner....:eek:
Apparently "Strong back bone, super stiff, and yet sensitive"

B

binka

Then there was that Savagear rod called a Boner....:eek:
Apparently "Strong back bone, super stiff, and yet sensitive"

It's all starting to stack up... i'm even viewing the "Dirty Roach" in a different light now :D

B

binka

I would appreciate your opinion of the lighter rod , cheers
Dave

Dave... I used the rod for the first time today and whilst very nervous to begin with I finished very pleased and much more confident that it would handle doubles ok.

On the brief connection with a nice double on the river the rod went in to "hyperloop" mode with the tip extending beyond the short butt but I never really felt out of control, the fish was being played quite hard under the rod tip until the jig shot out!

I did wonder if maybe the rod was a little soft on the tip to set the hook properly but I guess you can't have everything... and it could have been just one of those things.

One thing that did surprise me was the casting weight... I found that casting much heavier jigs of more than double the 15grm recommendation that Greys state was a piece of cake and you didn't have to be careful doing it either, I was whipping 'em out seventy yards plus on the stillwater with ease.

The perch were a delight to catch on it, the takes and the playing experience were very well transmitted through the rod and I would have no hesitation in recommending it as an effortless to use, good feeling little rod for light lure/jig work that is capable of getting you out of an unintended but always likely emergency.

It also whipped out the very light micro plugs which I brought and are about the size of a penny a good thirty or forty yards.

Hope this helps :)

valleybrown

Reaction score
Hi everybody, thanks for all the info so far.

Has anybody used a Savage Gear Bushwhacker XLNT Tournament series and the Greys G-Lite?
I was wondering how they compared.