what's the best part of fishing for you

C

chefster

That split second when the float goes under and you strike !

barbelboi

Reaction score
Being there..........it used to be where the hand of man had never set foot but it's becoming increasingly more difficult.
Jerry

terry m

Reaction score
For me its watching the float dip.and bobble at little before a carp or tench takes the bait and the float sails away , it the anticipation of the bite

Completely agree. The float bobbing, the bobbin lifting or dropping, the rod hooping around. Actually watching bites 'develop' rather than out and out screamers do it for me.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Yep...just being there does it for me, preferably with the place to meself. I love early morning sessions though I find them much harder to get up for than I used to. Tench fishing at dawn on a summer's morning....fantastic.

As Jerry says though you're lucky to get an hour or two to yourself nowadays.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The take is the buzz in all forms of fishing that rush that you get when you first conect with the fish and you do not know whether it is big or small the buzz is the same. On top of this we have all the other aspects of our sport it has so much going for it and is so varied you can never cover it all in one lifetime.

Bluenose

Reaction score
...it used to be where the hand of man had never set foot but it's becoming increasingly more difficult.

I think you can still find the solitude to some extent lads. It just depends if you're prepared to walk a fair distance, or if walking long distance is difficult then maybe fish less trendy venues, such as canals or less popular stretches of river.

I like the anticipation beforehand, and the moment when you know/feel the float will disappear or that the tip will pull round any second. Also the 'wow' when a decent fish ends up in the pan. Then there are the surroundings, wildlife, friendships, camaraderie.. even the arguments.

It's all good really isn't it.

If I had to name one thing, it would be a dawn start in early summer, regardless of species.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Mist at first light, stillness in the gloom, a tench roll here or there not too far from the baited area..or better still on top of it..and the masses of bubbles near the float. Even without the bite or the hooked fish it works for me.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I think you can still find the solitude to some extent lads. It just depends if you're prepared to walk a fair distance, or if walking long distance is difficult then maybe fish less trendy venues, such as canals or less popular stretches of river.

I like the anticipation beforehand, and the moment when you know/feel the float will disappear or that the tip will pull round any second. Also the 'wow' when a decent fish ends up in the pan. Then there are the surroundings, wildlife, friendships, camaraderie.. even the arguments.

It's all good really isn't it.

If I had to name one thing, it would be a dawn start in early summer, regardless of species.

That was a little tongue in cheek Eddie, still got a couple of syndicate river stretches virtually to myself/whoever I'm with with at the time and most of the club waters are bursting with elbow space.
Jerry

Keith Speer

Reaction score
The anticipation at first light, I almost always get on the river an hour before dawn, just to see if there is anything moving, I find I learn a lot about a water just sitting and watching.

So I sit and pour a cup of Tea and watch the river, I have always loved watching a river as it awakes at dawn.

I know that probably makes me look a bit of a plonker but if I need to de-stress that is the way I start the day, for some reason the world and all its problems dwindle into insignificance at first light.

B

binka

Very much being on a water at first light be it a river or a stillwater, all the better if the mist is rolling off the surface :)

B

Berty

All of it is good but that split second the float sinks, the indicator starts to rise or drops off or the rod top starts to move all condense so much into such a small nano second of time....it's just magical.

maceo

Reaction score
Agree with the summer early morning lovers. Nothing like being out at 4:30am on the river when there's nobody else about.

Strangely I also quite like baking hot stifling summer afternoons when nothing much is happening.

Sit back in the chair half dozing, half sun bathing.

Luvverly.

theartist

Reaction score
The variety, ive listed but a few that inspire me

Long trotting for dace and grayling on a fast river
Catching under the rod tip
Finding new rivers to fish
Tench bubbles around the float
The rod getting whacked around by a barbel
A hot flask of Ovaltine on a cold winters day
Floater fishing for carp
Planning a fishing holiday
Testing a new rod
Day trips to the chalk streams
Red letter days
Kingfishers
Winter chub fishing on local urban rivers
Feeding the robin with my maggots

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
What does it for me?

Hhhhmmm, the Solitude for starters from a rather hectic working life . . .

The Silence only broken by a bird's song or the ripple of the river . . .

The Success of having lured a fish or two from its habitat . . . .

So, I guess it is those 3 "S's" for me

I don't care if I'm trotting a float on a river, tipping on a lake or sat behind a long pole or a matched set of 3 Carp rods, its all the same to me . . . . . as long as I achieve those 3 "S's" that is . . .

And I have to say that enjoying a cup of tea or coffee and a packed lunch is all part of the day out for me too

Last edited:

split shot

Reaction score
This bit.

0692.jpg

nicepix

Reaction score
For me it is the anticipation of the first fish from a new venue especially a totally un-fished venue or from an area overlooked by other anglers.

Last summer I found a pod of large carp in a small bay of a huge public lake. The area had no signs of having been fished and I never saw another angler in the three months I fished it. That first big carp made all the hard work and research worthwhile.

This spring I'll be concentrating on a deep channel at the other end of the same lake, 4 km from the other swim. I'm already excited at the prospect of a three figure catfish coming out. :)