Licence review

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
The EA are looking at changing some things with the licence.

Although information is sketchy, one of the things they are considering is a change in the number of rods per licence.

Is there anything else that you would change?

Please keep it reel[sorry, I just had to:eek:] things like number of rods, closed season - things like the price and effectiveness of the EA go hand in hand so there's no need to comment on that.

C

chefster

will there be a price increase due to it covering 3 rods?:confused:

B

binka

I do know that the EA were toying with the idea of an annual licence from the date of purchase as opposed to the 1st of April every year, i've not heard anything about the number of rods per licence though.

C

chefster

I do know that the EA were toying with the idea of an annual licence from the date of purchase as opposed to the 1st of April every year, i've not heard anything about the number of rods per licence though.

That would make a lot more sense .....

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I read in the Angling Times this week that they are looking at all the options this coming year and if they come up with any changes they will not come into effect till 2014 season at the earliest. I am sure there are some on here that can remember one rod per licence perhaps they will go back to that format as you only pay for what you use

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
Annual from date of issue would make more sense, my daughter is just about to need a licence, but her birthday is in March, so do I buy a years licence for a few weeks?

I suspect the licence will go up, but as I say that's another issue really, at the end of the day we should be prepared to pay for what we want.

I had a small thought about day tickets having something like VAT added which would then go to the EA - Fishing Added Tax 30% for not producing the licence, this could be bar code scanned for proof - we live in a thechnological world now where a fishery owner / shop-keepr / baliff can carry a mobile phone with a bar code scanner on the camera image. Those who hold season tickets would only pay in the same way, this will need abit more planning, but in principle it makes sense.

split shot

Reaction score
One license per angler, sense at last. We might end up with accurate license sales figures, if a large proportion of us aren't double counted anymore.

I don't mind the amount I have to pay, but why should I subsidise whose on waters that the EA spend our money on?

A single license at about £40 would be fair to everyone.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
One license per angler, sense at last. We might end up with accurate license sales figures, if a large proportion of us aren't double counted anymore.

I don't mind the amount I have to pay, but why should I subsidise whose on waters that the EA spend our money on?

A single license at about £40 would be fair to everyone.

Please explain why you think that.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Everyone should pay the same. That's fair isn't it?

That is not a explaination for a very broard statement where do you get £40 pound from and should the person that uses one rod only pay the same as someone who uses two or more rods.

split shot

Reaction score
You pay for the right to go fishing. The number of rods you are allowed to use is for the water's management to determine.
£40 is a guess at the amount they would have to charge to make the same amount as they do now. Anyone know?
Personally I think the £55 I pay now is ok, if we all paid that, we'd have a properly funded EA.

I just hope this review looks at a lot more than this one issue. What he money is spent on is a far more important debate.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You pay for the right to go fishing. The number of rods you are allowed to use is for the water's management to determine.
£40 is a guess at the amount they would have to charge to make the same amount as they do now. Anyone know?
Personally I think the £55 I pay now is ok, if we all paid that, we'd have a properly funded EA.

I just hope this review looks at a lot more than this one issue. What he money is spent on is a far more important debate.

You do not pay for a right to go fishing it is a rod licence and gives you the right to use a fishing rod or rods it is a tax levied by the government on fishing with a rod. It was the case untill about twenty years ago that you bought one licence per rod and then it was changed to one licence for up to two rods for coarse fishing . Since the use of three rods became popular the EA have been under pressure to reajust the system again. it is not a fishing licence it is a rod licence. It is clear why you reckon £40 would be fair it would cost you less as at this time you have to buy two licences at a cost of £55. How the money is spent is up to the EA and the government . people pay all sorts of tax and get no say so in how it is spent that is the way it works we put a government in power and they govern.

Last edited:

agamemnon

Reaction score
personaly im pretty happy with the way things are. but then living on border of anglia and thames water and being of an age i can remember paying for 2 licences to 2 different water boards.
idealy to make things fair maybe have a single rod licence and then pay a small supliment for a multi rod licence allowing you to use 2-4 rods rather than having a seperate licence per rod

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
They need to get rid of the silly paper ''card'' and use the plastic ''credit card'' format to make it waterproof!

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
personaly im pretty happy with the way things are. but then living on border of anglia and thames water and being of an age i can remember paying for 2 licences to 2 different water boards.
idealy to make things fair maybe have a single rod licence and then pay a small supliment for a multi rod licence allowing you to use 2-4 rods rather than having a seperate licence per rod

Very true in the 70s you had ANGLIAN. THAMES,SOUTHERN, WESSEX, SOUTH WEST.WALES,SEVERN AND TRENT, NORTH WEST. YORKSHIRE , NOTHUMBRIAN and prior to this there were over twenty different licences, thank god today we only have one national licence. It was very expensive to be a traveling angler.

split shot

Reaction score
It is clear why you reckon £40 would be fair it would cost you less as at this time you have to buy two licences at a cost of £55.

Not at all, if I could choose, everyone would pay £55, as I said we'd then have a better funded EA.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Not at all, if I could choose, everyone would pay £55, as I said we'd then have a better funded EA.

But why should anglers who use one rod pay the same as a angler who uses two or three. If you have one car you pay road tax for that car if you have two or three you pay tax on each or do you think everyone should pay the same no matter how many cars they have.:wh

B

binka

I have to say that I usually fish with one rod, two when i'm piking and I don't like the idea of a higher flat rate to subsidise those that want to use more.

Is it one o'clock yet... I want to go fishing :)