Polaris Sidewinder

Reaction score
I'm considering getting one of these for my lad to use with his 1.75lb tc rod (no quiver tip).

I notice that the eye on the end is a spiral rather than a gate lock type.

How do you cast with these things?

Do you cast with the line threaded in place or do you have to unthread and re-attach after casting?

Thanks

J K

Reaction score
Sorry about that. Before I bought one I watched a video on, I think,the Polaris site much longer than the one they're showing now and I'm sure it was always connected when casting. I always leave mine connected when casting. The good thing is you can change the indicator without having to alter any of the other part of the setup. Hope this helps.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I have used the sidewinder for over 15 years now and I find it a brilliant piece of kit. It is extremely sensitive, shows pulls and drop back bites equally well andit isn't affected by either wind or tow, what more do you want from a bite indicator. It can also be attached and detachedafter setting up your rod but with todays thin blanks you may need to put a few turns of pvc tape round the bit where it sits to avoid slipping.I have never ever had a problem casting with it either long or short castsand no Matt you do not need to detach the line when casting.

Ihave just been on the phone to Terry Smith, the ex Sheffield tackle shop owner who designed the sidewinder for use on the Irish lochs and his design is far superior to the one that was supplied through Anglers World holidays.He tells me he has retired completely now and sold the rights to another manufacturer and he thinks they are distributed through Leeda but he assures me they are available in some shops. His design included a nut to enable the indicator to be adjusted, something the commercial one wasn't able to do.He also tells me he has some of the adjustable parts minus the actual fibre glass arm butincluding the clip in his workshop and will supply these, I have his phone number if you need it but I won't put it on here obviously.

Reaction score
Thanks chaps. All makes sense now.

One of my local tackle shops sells it - although I am not sure what version.

The one I saw includes a rubber block that the indicator pushes into. The rubber block is TAPED onto the blank rather than clipped.

The Website that JK links to also sells them. The version 3 is shown (with a clip).

The ledgering floats look quite good too.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"I used a butt indicator once and that became uncofortable after a while."

Slimey,

That is because you are supposed to place that indicator on the rod!

B

Bill Cox

Just like to reiterate what everyone else has said, been using mine for over a year now and it has never caused me any problems casting with it set up. Super sensitive as well for once something that really is as good as the hype./forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
I got one a year or so ago,tried it once and for some reason i really struggled with it . I put it away in the back of my tackle cuboard,never to be used again.

In all honesty i don`t know why i did struggle,perhaps i`m too old school and am so used to watching the normal quiver tip on the end of a rod.

Perhaps i shouldn`t be too hasty and give it another try some time ???