Wobbling dead baits

Andy M

Reaction score
Hi, was wondering what is generally considered to be the best rig for wobbling dead baits. Have some small horse mackerel and a few smelts (too soft for this technique?) and would like to give it a go tomorrow on a large clear lake. Have heard of using standard two treble rig but suspect hooks might pull out easily on the cast, have also seen a rig using a large single hook for the top hook which goes through both jaws, with lower hook treble hooked in about half way down the body.

jimlad

Reaction score
Two treble rig works fine for me. Knock some ssg shot on to help it sink. Hook the bottom hook in the take, all the way through, and put a bait flag on which helps keep it in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 04:47 ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 ----------

Two treble rig works fine for me. Knock some ssg shot on to help it sink. Hook the bottom hook in the take, all the way through, and put a bait flag on which helps keep it in place.

Well *knick and *tale are a couple of words that should have been in there!

B

binka

Hi Andy,

I've found smelts are ok if you've got a rod soft enough at the tip so as not to cast the hooks out and they seem to be really limp on the retrieve which can give them a great action.

Mackerel are very tough but a bit stiff and lifeless on the retrieve, i've found sprats to be much tougher and more suitable if frozen first and then thawed before use... try hooking them through the eye socket instead of the jaw.

There's many variations on the two hook set up for both single and treble or a combination of both but i've always got on well with trebles for a moving bait, I sometimes use singles on a static.

Last edited:

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Use a single treble and a baiting needle start at the tail end push the baiting needle along the centre of the bait and out the mouth . Get your wire trace and slide a shirt button or flat bead down to the hook to prevent the hook pulling into the bait connect to the needle and pull the trace though the bait add lead if needed and connect to reel line. Bait will cast well and it will stay on .

terry m

Reaction score
Deadly method Andy.

I use a single through the lips - secured with a red bait flag and a treble half way down very very lightly nicked into the skin.

Personally I use very little weight, the bait falling and twisting under its own weight is fantastic for inducing takes, even when it is brass monkeys like it is at present

I have lost count of the bonus fish I have taken whist deadbaiting by retrieving very slowly when I want to recast.