The Big One

terry m

Reaction score
I went to the Big One fishing show in Farnborough yesterday, it was absolutely heaving with people, you would not have thought there was a problem with the economy!

Generally good, lots to see and a long list of 'celebrities' if that twists your lemon. Porter, Brown, Nudd, McMillan, Ringer, Hearn blah blah.

But the best by far was Jeremy Wade who was signing his River Monsters book. Had a decent chat with him - real top guy.

Why is the catering at those events so Godamned awful?

Anyone else go?

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I went to the Big One fishing show in Farnborough yesterday, it was absolutely heaving with people, you would not have thought there was a problem with the economy!

Generally good, lots to see and a long list of 'celebrities' if that twists your lemon. Porter, Brown, Nudd, McMillan, Ringer, Hearn blah blah.

But the best by far was Jeremy Wade who was signing his River Monsters book. Had a decent chat with him - real top guy.

Why is the catering at those events so Godamned awful?

Anyone else go?

I think Mr. Wade is a good guy, but he seems to get tared with the same brush as Gobson Greed because of his TV shows! Jeremy Wade is nothing like the above, a really genuine bloke.

frothy

Reaction score
As much as I love angling I couldn't think of a worse way of spending one of my days off, I'll stretch to the local tackle fair when it's in town but the thought of one of these big shows just turns me cold...am I alone?

sam vimes

Reaction score
the thought of one of these big shows just turns me cold...am I alone?

I very much doubt it. However, I doubt I'll ever find out what they are like. The northernmost show is too far away for my liking. If I were going to travel as far as Doncaster, I'd travel a bit further (Newark(ish)) and actually go fishing in preference to wandering around a big shed. The only thing in a similar vein I have been to was one of the trade only shows (a mate is a tackle shop proprietor). There weren't huge crowds and there was nothing on sale, as such. Judging by the forum chatter, it would seem that many folks only go in the hope of picking up freebies or bargains.