Hook arrangements on jigs/lures

B

binka

I'm about to embark on a bit of a spree to buy some jigs and lures to go with the new rod and have picked a few out but the one thing that confuses me is the different hook arrangements?

I've seen a single large hook that stands proud off the back of soft lures, a single treble mounted just under the head on swimming lures and some with a "stinger", an additional hook at the rear end of the lure which I would have thought would be favourite given that a take would likely come from behind?

Does anyone have a favourite arrangement for increasing the hit to hook up ratio or does it not matter as long as there's something sharp sticking out of it somewhere? :confused:

aebitim

Reaction score
The ones with the hook out the middle of the back are great for bouncing along the bottom, The jig heads are usefull for fishing weedless. The light lures with a treble underneath and behind tend to tangle for me. Plugs and spinners are pretty straight forward, ignore the humble mepps at your peril. Hook position doesnt seem to be a huge factor with smaller lures.
Not sure this helps much, most of my lure fishing is done in salt water, but it might encourage someone who knows to give us a few tips.

B

binka

Thanks Tim... it does help and the humble Mepps, especially in the tiny size, is already a firm favourite ;)

The single hook on the back stands to reason for bouncing along the bottom but i'd simply looked at it from a hook up point of view without considering this :)

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have only got into jig and soft bait fishing a couple of seasons I use the american and japanese sites and youtube have a look at Sebile innovative fishing. Texas and carolina rigging there is masses of very useful information on these sites

B

binka

Thanks tiinker, i'll have a good look at those sites :)

This was one of the clips that wetted my appetite in the first place, I think this is filmed in Holland but the action of some of these jigs is incredible in my opinon...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uL_f4ZvnlU]Soft 4Play Perch Instructional Video - YouTube[/ame]

barry h

Reaction score
hi binka you dont say what sort of venues you are going to try i fish all of my local canals with soft plastics i find on canals 2 inch kopyto shads 2/1/2 inch kopytos work well for me if i am fishing for loads oftakes i go as small as 1 inch all kopyto relax in yellow or green for perch and chub 3.5 gram jig heads size 2 or 2/0 for the 2 inch 2/0 for 2/1/2 size 6 finness hooks from agm good prices best service on the net kopyto relax from lure world also very good be warned this sort of fishing uis addictive and the size of your wallet will never be the same lot cheaper than the savage gear as well good luck barry

shortpaul

Reaction score
It's strange. Jigs and plugs can have the most wonderful look and action in the world, but a Mepps style (I use cheapies) just always seem to do so well. So do plain spoons, too.

Not that I've had any luck whatsoever this season thus far...

B

binka

hi binka you dont say what sort of venues you are going to try i fish all of my local canals with soft plastics i find on canals 2 inch kopyto shads 2/1/2 inch kopytos work well for me if i am fishing for loads oftakes i go as small as 1 inch all kopyto relax in yellow or green for perch and chub 3.5 gram jig heads size 2 or 2/0 for the 2 inch 2/0 for 2/1/2 size 6 finness hooks from agm good prices best service on the net kopyto relax from lure world also very good be warned this sort of fishing uis addictive and the size of your wallet will never be the same lot cheaper than the savage gear as well good luck barry

Cheers Barry, thanks for the info mate... I've been fishing everything from lakes to canals and rivers.

I've been jigging for several months now since the original post and it is addictive alright... I've been using anything from 70mm bodies to 190mm and more recently been experimenting with mounting them on large un-weighted Aberdeen hooks instead of weighted jig heads and fishing them really slowly which has resulted in a fair number of fish, I think this is why I like the Savage Gear as they do look quite realistic even at a really slow retrieve.

I've not tried the lures you've mentioned but will keep my eyes open as i'm always on the lookout for something new to me these days.

Out of interest, do you have a poor hook up ratio with the weighted jigs?

Back in the winter I found mine was as low as one in five...

stillwater blue

Reaction score
Out of interest, do you have a poor hook up ratio with the weighted jigs?

Back in the winter I found mine was as low as one in five...

I'm another fan of the kopyto shads, they're my most successful shad by along way but I'll add the caveat that I've only tried a handful of different shads. I don't buy lures for the sake of it, when something works for me I stick to it.

On the kopyto *
8947-170-11.jpg

I have the jig hook coming out of the body just before the tail section starts. I'm fishing the smaller shads but I use a 1/0 with a 2" shad. A go up a hook size per inch. I also make sure alot of the hook is exposed and don't seem to suffer problems with hooking.

When I fish for zander I add a stinger on shads over 4". It helps the hook up rate but you also loose the snag proofness, :eek:mg:, of shads, so it's not something you can do everywhere.

Last edited: