7lb 10oz Tench

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Nicely treated catch there. Might be worth photographing one at a time next time or at least laying them on an unhooking mat if you have to do it... /forum/smilies/i_dont_know_smiley.gif

Grumpy Git @

Reaction score
Whoa !!!!

A man with only three fingers on each hand? /forum/smilies/sick_smiley.gif

Get your hair cut and put that fag out and get them there fish back in the water /forum/smilies/sarcastic_smiley.gif

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Luckily the grass looks quite soft......

A fine catch, but think about the fish mate /forum/smilies/sad_smiley.gif

Rickrod

Reaction score
they also look abit far from the waters edge

Struckanov

Reaction score
Very very very nice catch..!

But what made you think it was okay to treat the fish like that..?

I surely hope they survived the photo session as they are very beautiful fish those..!

Morespiders

Reaction score
EHHMathew , your fag's gone out, any tip's for Sywell?. Besides throwing the fish up the bank.

Show some respect Matthew, please.

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist (SAA) (ACA)

I have yet to see anyone substantiate thatwet padded nylon is better for a fish than soft wetgrass ?

Barry and Bryan shame on you for being personally abusive to this young angler. If you disagree with his actions then explain why.

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

There could be a twig, dry straw, or hook buried/hidden in the grass, just waiting to poke the fish's eye out.

Unhooking mats for specimen fish are a must.

Bill Maitland

Reaction score
Fair comment Andy, butwe should be encouraging anyone to use decent landing mats as standard!!

Reaction score
The man has 9 or 10 tench which have been held in a keepnet or keepnets for some time , the biggest going 7 lb 10 oz I would think , for me , I would have weighed them individually ,taken a photo and returned them , for me , the time on the grass is less of a problem than the keepnet (s ) .

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Ok Andy

1 the fish are to far from the water how did they get there. Carried in the keepnet crushing one anotherand how are they going to get back same way no doubt or carried in the hand. How long would that take.

2 How can you smoke a fag and look after the fish. There is always the chance of a hot end dropping while holding the fish. Always put the fag out when i smoked before handling the fish.

3 The fish are all over the place how did they get there. Dumped from the net or flapping about on the bank

I have nothing against keepnets as long as there large enough and agree wet soft grass does no harm.

BarryC

Reaction score
If a couple of those fish start thrashing about there is no way he could subdue them. By the very nature of so many fish most must have been rested and ready for action. I dont suppose you want to know my opinion of keeping them all in a net for a glory shot.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
It's easy to criticise guys, but we were all young once!

Hopefully Mathew will learn from the advice given from us all and think about it in the future.

Don't jump on him and slag him off.

Fine catch Mathew, just think about the fish next time mate.

stephen webb

Reaction score
I agree with the comments about the safety of the fish. But shouldn't we all be trying to educate the lad, rather than just all jumpimg on his back!

Sadly though for all of the sound advice we give here, it is quickly undone by some of the celeb fishermen on the TV. I had just read some of the comments on here, only to turn on the TV and see a certain celeb lay a carp straight on to a wooden platform without an unhooking mat in sight. This celeb is supposed to be the best all round angler in the country, yet you rarely see him use an unhooking mat!

I am a great believer in making sure you have the right size landing net for the venue you are fishing (in some case having 2) and in having an unhooking mat and container filled with the lake water next to it.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Soft wet grass is equally as good as an unhooking mat, I agree with Andy on that one. As for the use of a keepnet to retain the fish,Idon't have a problem with thateither it is a perfectly safe and acceptable method of retaining fish providing the keepnet is big enough and that it isn't overloaded.

I do however have a problem with his choice to tip them all out onto the grass whilst he photographed the largest one, that was totally unnecessary and certainly not an advert for good fish handling. Hopefully he will have learned that now and maybe his next report will say I had ten tench ranging from 4lbsup to 8lbs and this is a picture of the largest one and richly deserve the accolades he will get for it.

MJ

Reaction score
Hi Christian,
Well done on a great catch! There are some lovely tench there. I hope you are not discouraged to post on this thread / site by some of the negative comments here. <blockquote class=quoteheader>Bryan Baron 2 wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Not even worth talking to idiots like this.</blockquote>

Byron, I notice in some of your other posts that you are interested in becoming an angling coach. If your comment (above) is referring to Christian as the 'idiot', then I would have a think about why you want to become a coach, because there are so many reasons why you should be talking to people who you think could improve their angling techniques.

I took the qualification because I enjoy helping people. There is no 'instruction manual' when you become a coach. Fishing is an infinite and ever-expanding sport. I learn something new myself every day. Everyone has different standards, and this is no 'wrong or right way' to do anything, just some things work better than others, and some make more sense for fish welfare.

Looking at Christian's other picture (a nice catch of bream and hybrids on a wet sack), then I would say he has a fair idea about fish welfare. Sure, we can all improve, I know I can. So perhaps try offering friendly advice if you feel strongly about it.

Not worth talking to? I fundamentally disagree. I reckon I could learn a lot from Christian - I have never had a tench haul like that. And if I could help him out in return, then it would definitely be worth it.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
MJ get your facts right before you start your post.

Christian started the thread and did not take the photo's