How to Make Paper floats

D

david bruce 1

Interested in trying this. Still using some elder pith floats from 20 years ago.
What's the bouyancy like? Cork, balsa or what?

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

I wanna know what does the little scroll wheel do on your Fujitsu CTM5010 monitor?

S

Sean Meeghan

That brings me back Steve! I can remember doing that around the time Eddy retired (early 70's)

/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
David,

I tried making them bu thought them not very bouyant. The original Zephyrs were hollow and very light (and now rare and expensive).I'd stick to balsa.

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
<blockquote class=quoteheader>david bruce 1 wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Interested in trying this. Still using some elder pith floats from 20 years ago. What's the bouyancy like? Cork, balsa or what?</blockquote>

the shotting capacity is dependant on the stem material used and number of wrappings used ,but i'd say its generally lighter than balsa wood & cork ,styrofoam bodies but each one is different so it's mostly a case trail & error to get the shotting right .The tissue paper ( quilted kitchen towel ) does give better shot carrying capacity due to its extra buoyancy

The zephyr / chubba is the hardest one to make ,i did it in stages i did the upper winding first then a slightly smaller one lower on the peacock quill i used then back filled (reversed wrap) In between . I also added smaller off cuts to get the right body shape .due too the tapers of the body shape ,the paper did go askew a few times ,but its easy to ,as soon as it starts to go off track to tear / cut it and restart with re-aligned piece of paper.while i let the top layer to skew on purpose to get a smoother lower body shape.Once its painted or varnished its hard to tell

This article was done partially in response to threads about float-making and old floats recently .I'll add some others soon on other floats like the topper haskins type styrofoam avons.

timothy rayner

Reaction score
Ace article. My Son and I have only just taken up fishing (I used to do it when I was... ooh..10.. which is the age my Son is, almost)

We sat there last night with a handful of stolen BBQ wooden Skewers (nobody tell the missus) a roll of Greaseproof paper and a bottle of PVA glue. Great times had by all, we're now looking forward to trying out our creations along the River Cam.

Thanks for that article, it's definately ignited both our interest in fishing so much more than just sitting on a riverbank with readymade kit. What next.. Hmm.. I fancy making some flies or my own ledgers..