Anyone fishing this weekend? Or will you...

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
... be sitting in the warm with your pin, gently caressing and spinning it, with a box of tissues to hand? Or actually getting out and using it?

I did dig my Okuma Sheffield out today and chucked it the car along with a 15ft float rod. My intention being a long trotting session on a local stretch of the River Colne. Then the cloud cleared and the sun was so bright, I put them back and stayed put.

I am booked on the open at Stanborough lake tomorrow, then Sunday, a silvers only match at a venue in Essex.

Whatever your intentions are for the next 4 days, I wish you luck, let us know your plans, and of course how it went, see Binkas thread on Sunday evening...

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Not this weekend Simon, but next weekend we have the annual End of Season dinner and fishing weekend so I'm really looknig forward ot that.

Saturday fishing on the Hampshire Avon, Saturday night dinner and skittles in my local pub and Sunday a Trout day on Avon Springs.

Can harldy wait . . . . . great company, maybe some good fishing and a damn good dinner and fun with the skittles.

jasonbean1

Reaction score
definitely not....will be fishing in the golden triangle that is bromyard ugh?...no golden quadwangle or however you want to spell it!

over the last 8 years i've had the tradition of heading that way for the last full week.

used to be me alone..but were up to 4 now...

all angles covered

teme
severn
wye
lugg...and probably a few more tributaries from all those

what more could you ask for...and the weather is looking spot on for everything from grayling to barbel

happy days!

good luck to you all...get out there!

flightliner

Reaction score
Would have liked to travelled further today but had some retail therapy to indulge in so packed a bag of bits n a rod and went on the river Don near Sheffield city center, trotted maggot in the shallow water and had four lovely grayling with the best on the lb mark.
Lovely in the sun.

redfin123

Reaction score
Would have liked to travelled further today but had some retail therapy to indulge in so packed a bag of bits n a rod and went on the river Don near Sheffield city center, trotted maggot in the shallow water and had four lovely grayling with the best on the lb mark.
Lovely in the sun.
Very nice to hear of some nice grayling still in the river after the recent floods, I hope you used your CENTERPIN for trotting your maggots:D:D:D:D

aebitim

Reaction score
Staying in Penarth Fri and Sat, my chance to Mr Crabtree for a couple of hours with the grandson dangling worms in the briney then off to the Wye Sun and Mon with tent, might do Tuesday as well if it suits.

B

binka

Definitely out on Sunday and can't wait, everything's shaping up perfect... wish I could do both days but have to get the "tackle wall" organised in the garage of the new house on Saturday, amongst other things :)

Looks like the Trent, i'm not getting a minutes peace after introducing a fishing mate to piking but at least I can take the barbel gear if I fancy a change.

Might even see if I can remember how to run a stick float through...

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Was out today trotting and had the best part of 20 chub up to approx 3lb :).

maceo

Reaction score
If my manflu has eased I shall be taking my Heritage down to the middle Trent or the Upper Witham for a trotting session tomorrow.

Similarly.

With the way I'm coughing and spluttering and snotting everywhere at the moment, I'd scare every fish within five miles away.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Well Simon....

I've got 3 days on the Severn Friday, Saturday, Sunday. Packed the 501 for trotting :wh

I have got a centre pin in the bag in case I do a bit of barbelling.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
To actually use my new center pin would be sacrilege, so I have built a shrine to it in my living room and will be worshiping to it every Sunday from now on. I feel this is the right thing to do.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
I'm afraid not Matt. It has Mordex Industries Sheffield in the back. :eek:

I suppose I'm going to have to go under cover now in case the centre pin police are after me. What with them and the barbel police I have to do a lot of sneaking about when I'm fishing.

---------- Post added at 08:25 ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 ----------

I found an old poem the other day:

'Twas brillig and the Lythey coves did gyre and gimble with their pins.
One posted an opinion and the mome wraths outgrabe.
Beware of the pinny trolls my son. The Brailsford's teeth
They tear and bite. And the Tiggerwock soon joins the feast
So think you long before before you you post.

With apologies to Lewis Caroll

guest61

Reaction score
I can't make it out this weekend but I'm thinking of taking the bearings out of my centrepins and fitting oilite bushes to create 'true pins' and make them even more beautiful, this or climbing a tree and masturbating.

reeds

Reaction score
Yes, I will actually be out fishing rather than arguing about centrepins, which is about as interesting as arguing about rod rests.

I'll let you know how it goes, assuming the topic isn't locked by then...

la_

Reaction score
Would like to catch a chub before the season ends so hopefully nick a few hours on the river saturday afternoon/evening