Closed season

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
Do sea fish have prefered conditions for mating?

Would sea anglers accept a closed season if one was imposed?

What would the effects be if one was introduced or ignored?

chav professor

Reaction score
Sea fish migrate to spawn..... there must be triggers or preferred conditions - they have to come together at the same time in the same place.

As a now occasional sea angler (used to sea fish to the point of obsession) - I could see no rhyme nor reason to a close season for sea fishing on a recreational basis. Different times of the year bring sea fish in-shore (would be looking to the spring run of cod followed by Bass). Pleasure anglers actually create little pressure on fish stocks.

Far better would be for an inshore exclusion zone to reduce commercial pressure in sensitive areas.

Sea anglers do have size limits regarding the size of fish that can be taken for the table. Sport fishing for Bass ? There is an increase in catch and release being adopted.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Do sea fish have prefered conditions for mating?

Would sea anglers accept a closed season if one was imposed?

What would the effects be if one was introduced or ignored?

The new conservation areas are a form of control and as long as everyone respects them it should be beneficial to everyone

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm not certain but I think there are exclusion zones for nursery areas in the North Atlantic and the north sea.

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
So what the sea fishing fraternity do is let the fish get on with it and leave them alone; however; money is money and the commercial fisherman need to get something to put on the table.

So are there lessons to be learned by inland anglers?

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So what the sea fishing fraternity do is let the fish get on with it and leave them alone; however; money is money and the commercial fisherman need to get something to put on the table.

So are there lessons to be learned by inland anglers?

One of the reasons that the north sea and what is called the Dogger bank became the most prolific fishery in the world was because of the suspension of fishing during the two world wars it lost its reputation by the seventies though over fishing with the new technology.

chiggsy

Reaction score
Sea Fishing in the UK started to seriously deteriorate in 1973 when our waters were given up to Europe and the voracious foreign trawlers.
Today commercial fishermen net to within 50 yards of the beach, they trawl to within 200 yards and are relentless - their livelihoods depend on them catching fish to put food on the table, pay the mortgage etc. but the impact on recreational fishing is massive.

The point about the War years above is correct, if we could stop commercial trawling for 5 years and then re-introduce it in a more managed way with no discard madness etc we would see change but it will never happen.

As far as stopping recreational anglers fishing by having a 'closed season' I doubt if every fish caught in a day by every single angler in the Country whether fishing from shore, pier, private or charter boat would equal a single haul by one of the larger trawlers.

Just a thought.

Tim R

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Top charter boats out of plymouth in the eighties would bring in a 1000 pound of gutted fish a day per boat off the wrecks and 2000 pound withthe right anglers on board fact.

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
There is some really good information on this thread, thanks guys:)

It's ironic that we (as a species) have become so efficient in taking fish out, that we haven't bothered to make sure there are enough left to be as efficient next year; if a farmer does not make sure his fields are capable of producing a crop next year, he goes hungry.