Barbel in commercials

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Given the amount of bait going in on a weekly basis how big will barbel in commercials grow?
Will be see double figure barbel in commercials in a few years or will the carp eat most of the bait
We know all the pros and cons of barbel in stillwater so let's not turn this in to barbel should/should not be in stillwater debate.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Given the amount of bait going in on a weekly basis how big will barbel in commercials grow?
Will be see double figure barbel in commercials in a few years or will the carp eat most of the bait
We know all the pros and cons of barbel in stillwater so let's not turn this in to barbel should/should not be in stillwater debate.

Would that count as a record , if the barbel was big enough ?

I am convinced that you can get massive roach i.e. over two pounds in commercial carp fisheries where most people target the carp.

My son deliberately targeted them at hamstell and has some cracking fish including several over 2lbs , sadly when I repeated this on gofishing it resulted in one of "those threads" and I did a bit of a flounce. Still I am convinced that its the case for large roach to become more common on these carp type waters.

Would the same be the case for barbel ? Would they get a look in with the carp there ? I assume so.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I can see that barbel will grow on the amount of pellets and boilies put in comemrcial, then there is meat and sweet corn

I can't see there ever getting to a size that would get near a record unless someone stocked barbel in a syndicate carp water that was lightly stocked

There a topic for another thread - gravel pit syndicate barbel waters

guest61

Reaction score
Would that count as a record , if the barbel was big enough ?

People were excited enough when this happened, plenty of time out of the water to get photos too..

[ame=http://youtu.be/sjzmUQMppA4]Alan Stagg with his massive 5lb 4oz perch - YouTube[/ame]

sam vimes

Reaction score
I know of a gravel pit with the odd barbel in it. No one seems to know how they got in there. Unless they came in with other fish species, they haven't been deliberately stocked. If anyone does know, they aren't admitting to anything. However, it is in reasonable proximity to the river and there is some inflow, especially during big floods. There have been barbel out of this gravel pit that have come very close to the local river record.

I can't see a commercial barbel threatening the river record. I can easily see them breaking double figures on a regular basis though.

dangermouse

Reaction score
IIRC Matt Hayes caught his largest ever chub from a gravel pit. As others have already pointed out commercials are producing large roach and perch and a mate of mine reckons the next record eel will come from a commercial. I don`t see any reason why a commie or gravel pit couldn`t produce a very large barbel, maybe even a record fish one day.