boddington and clattercote

jasonbean1

Reaction score
this is highly classified news....

due to environmental reasons beyond the canals and rivers trust's influence these resevoirs will be drained within the next 3 years and all fish stocks will be removed and re-homed in suitable local waters.

how do we feel about this?

C

chefster

Absolutely gutted if its true,they,re both seriously good ,popular venues......

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
Drained again :confused:

I know there're problems with the Boddington Road flooding.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I have just been speaking to a friend of mine who works for the Trust. He told me there is only one body (The reservoir inspectorate) which can make a decision to carry out any major programs on these waters. My friend is in regular contact with the team of 6 who make up the Inspectorate and told me he has heard of no such plans....

C

chefster

I have just been speaking to a friend of mine who works for the Trust. He told me there is only one body (The reservoir inspectorate) which can make a decision to carry out any major programs on these waters. My friend is in regular contact with the team of 6 who make up the Inspectorate and told me he has heard of no such plans....

I hope youre right mate ,as both these waters have had their fair share of problems over the years but are at their peak at the moment...Cheers Gaz

jasonbean1

Reaction score
peter,i do have to admit to being a bit naughty here...basically i just made it up.

i do however have concerns in these resevoirs and how they're used though. as you may know these resevoirs are feeders for the oxford canal. you may or may not know that the river cherwell for most of it's length runs beside the canal. at various points the canal takes water from the river should it need it.

my problem is..... these resevoirs are now commercial fisheries and ran along those lines to make maximise profit. thats why they stuffed them with carp and shoved as many pegs on them as they could. so in the summer when the cherwell is running at low flows and the CR't want to keep running the resevoirs as fisheries and protect there stock and profits they are reluctant to release water from them...understandable i know but it adds to the damage that the cherwell suffers nowadays.

As chester knows the cherwell around banbury dries up in the summer and any water the canal needs is abstracted from the cherwell just north at cropredy...so it's simple the less water that comes out the resevoirs the more water comes out the cherwell.

what you have to remember is..the resevoirs were built to keep the canal running not as fisheries.

the CR't are no way interested in river conservation...they have the law on there side to seriously damage rivers by abstracting as much water as they want from rivers to keep canals running and at the moment they plan to finish the cherwell off by building a massive marina close to oxford. if it was to go ahead the massive jump in lock movements would drain further water out of the cherwell at shipton...finally putting the nail in the last few barbel that just about hang on that strectch and below.

so personally i would like to see this resevoirs along with wormleighton drained dry at the end of a long hot summer because at least i woud know they have been used for what they were built for and the CRt had caused the minimal amount of damage to the cherwell.

C

chefster

peter,i do have to admit to being a bit naughty here...basically i just made it up.

i do however have concerns in these resevoirs and how they're used though. as you may know these resevoirs are feeders for the oxford canal. you may or may not know that the river cherwell for most of it's length runs beside the canal. at various points the canal takes water from the river should it need it.

my problem is..... these resevoirs are now commercial fisheries and ran along those lines to make maximise profit. thats why they stuffed them with carp and shoved as many pegs on them as they could. so in the summer when the cherwell is running at low flows and the CR't want to keep running the resevoirs as fisheries and protect there stock and profits they are reluctant to release water from them...understandable i know but it adds to the damage that the cherwell suffers nowadays.

As chester knows the cherwell around banbury dries up in the summer and any water the canal needs is abstracted from the cherwell just north at cropredy...so it's simple the less water that comes out the resevoirs the more water comes out the cherwell.

what you have to remember is..the resevoirs were built to keep the canal running not as fisheries.

the CR't are no way interested in river conservation...they have the law on there side to seriously damage rivers by abstracting as much water as they want from rivers to keep canals running and at the moment they plan to finish the cherwell off by building a massive marina close to oxford. if it was to go ahead the massive jump in lock movements would drain further water out of the cherwell at shipton...finally putting the nail in the last few barbel that just about hang on that strectch and below.

so personally i would like to see this resevoirs along with wormleighton drained dry at the end of a long hot summer because at least i woud know they have been used for what they were built for and the CRt had caused the minimal amount of damage to the cherwell.

They do use Clattercote and Boddie for topping up the canals hence the low water level last year

jasonbean1

Reaction score
with reluctance and prompting from the EA and anglers further down the cherwell.

but still not nearly enough

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
I take my dog round Boddi on a regular basis and must say that you can walk across Boddington (eat you heart out dynamo) at certain times of the year, the reservoir has not been this full for so long in a long time.

I agree that something needs doing though, but this is not new and all the flood prevention work they have just done to the A361 I think is also or has also included work concerning the Cherwell.