There’s Nowt So Funny As Fishermen

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
I’ve just ready your article Graham in its entirety and I couldn’t agree with you more, although I’m guilty for some of the lets say ‘pointed remarks’ I do find the forums a valuable source of information and an excellent place to stay ahead of the rest.

Family commitments will dictate the amount of time I can spend on the banks these days, however, being part of this site as I am and feeling privileged to belong to such a wonderful and free club such as it is, has taught me to enjoy my fishing whilst not actually fishing too.

Some fool once referred to these forums as ‘clicky’ and to be totally honest, that couldn’t be further from the truth. Of course you will get the occasional drifter who’s looking for continuous prissy dialogue with a complete lack of ‘the human touch’ but you’ll find these visitors become short lived in these forums. But if you’re looking for a copious amount of friendly and supportive advice covering every fishing topic under the sun and you’d like this information fed to you in a productive manner with a touch of good humour, then you’ve just found home my friend!

Unfortunately life can be far too serious at times and stepping out of reality from time to time can do wonders for the soul and I’m proud to say that I’ve established some excellent relationships with many of the great anglers on this site, some of which have become great friends too.

I congratulate you Graham on your editorial prowess and of course your own creative licence for developing in my mind one of the best community hubs in our wonderful world of fishing.

Written with Sincerity
Stuart Dennis

P.S. Was that allright for you Graham? If so, you know where to send the cheque again don’t you?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Thanks Stuart, appreciated, but if you think that's enough to prise open the infamous wallet...........

R

Rodney Wrestt

Stuart,
You've hit it on the head mate (the nail that is), the more I read your postings the more sense you make........I am begining to worry about Cakey now. ;o}~

J

John McLaren

Well put in every respect Graham. I don't regard myself as any one sort of angler, most of my fishing these days is after Chub and Barbel with the odd carp session thrown in, but I also enjoy the occasional "tiddler" bash. On the other hand, there is a real danger for any angler to fall into the trap of fishing in one style or another and when you stop thinking about your approach then fishing can even start to become a bit boring!

I don't get out anything like as much as I would like and I have realised recently that my approach is starting to become a bit one dimensional, because of the temptation to stick with the tried and tested in an attempt to guarantee fish - but it doesn't always work. Next season is definitely time for a change - John Conway's bream sound very inviting as does the River Dove - which I now realise is about the same journey time as the Severn stretches I visit. Time for some disciplined changes of scenery and approach.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Rodney, don't you be worrying about cakey mate, he can look after himself, at least I hope he can as we're gona be mud-wrestling for the best swim in the morrow!

Gonna be some double figure ass kicking! (probably mine though), the last time we went fishing, me and Rik blanked and that old git managed to catch a 4lb trout on boilie. No doubt he'll pull out a brace of dolphins tomorrow!

R

Rodney Wrestt

Hope it goes well and he takes it easy on you.

Good luck to the three of you.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
There's only two of us tomorrow, Big Rik's doing his nails, unless of course you include cakeys mysterious rubber trout!

Thanks for you well wishes!

C

Curly

Read the article and Stuart's thread with interest. The one interesting point to me was, I quote Graham "The forum is especially useful to me because it gives me a great insight into how anglers think".

Here's my thinking......I want to catch something, I want to catch something now and if I don't, I will scream. {:eek:)~

C

Cakey

Rodney
Im worried about me !!!
Im meant to be fishing with Stuart tomorrow on his home turf ,then again it could be awind up after the Shrek and Brains affair.
If you dont hear from me by 8o/c (pm) auction off my tackle and send the proceeds to my wife.

Graham
have you some reels for me (tried to e-mail but your server blocking)?

C

Cakey

Your only after me rods !!!!
I'll explain to the others when I get back unless Rik beats me to it!!!

R

Rodney Wrestt

Tell you what both of you send me all your tackle then fight to the death and I'll keep it and the good lady can carry the tackle to my swim....how does that sound? ;o}~

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
What a day, got set-up by about 9:30, dead quiet until 11 am then all hell let loose. Cakey had a screamer and netted a mirror about 15lb, then my rod doubled and bolted for the rushes and I had a common but a bit smaller, then cakeys went off again and he was into another mirror. So three fish within fifteen minutes.

All quietened down until about 3pm, then BANG, my rod went off again to a powerfull bolt round to the right. Again headed for the rushes and this time I couldn’t stop it, just before it got there, my braid hooklength snapped in the middle (??).
All quiet again and then Cakey had a ghost Koi and then another mirror. All good fun! Excellent little venue of about three quarters of an acre (if that) and some stonking little scraps! (No Pi$$ taking whatsoever – honest!)

Until April Cakey!

C

Cakey

Stuart
I told you "fish tremble at the sound of my name" !!!!
and I never mentioned your rods all day !!

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Craig, I’ll see if I can get Cakey to send you some tips on:

-How to leave your buzzers turned off!
-How to sit there jawing and miss runs!
-How to leave half your tackle in the car!
-How you get other people to make you aware of the fact that your reel is spilling off loads of line for five minutes whilst you just sit there!
-How to be sexually frustrated by passing joggers (male or female)!

C

Cakey

Craig,I'll see if I can get Stuart to send you some tips on:

-How to urinate in public!
-How to catch the smallest fish in a lake!
-How to take the pi55 out of passing anglers!
-How to play fish into snags and lose them!!