Match fishing help

Felix.

Reaction score
On saturday im fishing a match on a canal that holds most fish with carp and bream as the main target. I fished it today and got 3 tench of around 3lb eachand 50-60 roach and rudd in the margins on a rod.

What should i do?

Go for the margins and get a steady supply of smallish fish or try the bream and carp?

Please help guys.

C

Colin North, the one and only

Bait swims for big fish and the margin. Fish the big fish swim for ten minutes and if there is no sign, I would revert to the margin but continue to feed thetwo swims (at least). Keep an eye on what's happening on either side of you and every 15 minutes or so, go out and fish the big fish swim. If you start getting the bigger fish regularly, stay with them, but if that swim dries up, revert back to the margin. If you see those on either side catching big fish, it might be just as well to fish the big fish swim for longer, but keep the margin swim going.

I won a 100 plus pegger on the Basingstoke once where I could see almost every inch of the bottom right the way across, but I could not see the fish I was catching. On that occassion, those around me filled it in with groundbait and everything, but I doubt if I used a half pint of casters all day. Sometimes it pays to be a little frugal with free feed, when everyone else is chucking in tons.

Felix.

Reaction score
Thanks

that makes complete sence and i hope it pays off.

slime monster

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Felix. wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

On saturday im fishing a match on a canal that holds most fish with carp and bream as the main target. I fished it today and got 3 tench of around 3lb eachand 50-60 roach and rudd in the margins on a rod.

What should i do?

Go for the margins and get a steady supply of smallish fish or try the bream and carp?

Please help guys.</blockquote>
that result would win most canal matches...which canal?

Felix.

Reaction score
It's a really quite place. If you didnt know it was there you wou never find out.

C

One thing I would add is that you shouldn't expect it to fish the same as it does when you went recently, if there are dozens of anglers tramping along the bank to there pegs. End pegs are often best in these situations. Fish are often walked along the stretch.

Felix.

Reaction score
yeah.

The far bank is patrolled by bream and carp and it is just luck if stop off at your peg. I was still catching the small ones with an annoying dog owner kicking a plastic bottle for the dog and a man asking endless questions while leaning over the swim.

But yes i hope i get a lucky draw!

fred hall

Reaction score
Colin is absolutely correct - no water fishes the same way in a match as it does when pleasure fished. In addition you would be a very lucky boy if you drew the same spot in the match that you pleasure (pratice would be a better word) fished. I would advise that you go with a couple of alternate plans, any more and you will only confuse yourself, see where you draw and take it from there. Final word - you cannot win a match if you don't catch anything so get some fish into that keepnet!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
The Gloucester canal is an out and out bream canal as regards winning matches at this time of the year though thereare some great roach catches to be had in the autumn even as far up ascinema stretch in Gloucester itself. Thats the good news, the bad news is that the bream shoals are very localised and though the winner could weigh in 20lb plus the average weight is very low. Carp are not a target fish so I wouldn't even target those, your main target are roach, skimmers and bream and you would be advised to set your stall out for those. Hempstead bend is the hotspot and if you are lucky enough to draw on there you are in with a serious chance of winning. Maggot and caster are the usual baits, but worm can do the business, feeding chopped wormand groundbaiting is almost essential.

slime monster

Reaction score
graham,i have match fished the gloucester ship canal,but did not offer felix advice on fishing it as he is in his own words fishing the thrupp canal .......near the gloucester canal wherever that is .

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Ah! yes you are right Slimy I just saw Glos and canal and reacted with a post, teach me to read the thread thoroughly won't it! The Thrupp canal is in Oxfordshire anyway isn't it?

Felix.

Reaction score
The thrupp canal is in oxfordshire, but there is also one in gloucestershire, also called the strand canal. The match was a disaster with my wiegh in a 5 ounces, although i did come 5th as the winning wieght was won with a single and only carp of the day. Many blanked even though it was very hot.

Reaction score
Sounds like it was a hard match then, congrats for coming fith i'm sure many blanked. out of interest what was the winning weight

Ryan

C

Coming 5th in your first match should be considered an achievement. I did warn you that when match anglers tramp the bank, weights plummet./forum/smilies/hot_smiley.gif