Bream on a jelly lure

foxyaz81

Reaction score
Today i witnessed a nice bream of about 5lb caught on a jelly lure it was hooked in da gill so i cant 100% say it wasnt fluke but to me i think da bream attacked it. Whats your thoughts guys

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
They catch them on spinners in holland and fish for them that way. so why not soft baits

foxyaz81

Reaction score
It was a first capture for me i thought he mite av jus foul hooked it. I didn no bream were predatory fish. Maybe it was annoyed or summat

R

Royffey

just goes to show how stupid bream are..... i once caught one fair and square in the bottom lip on a popped up half herring whilst nite fishing for pike........

some say bream are inquisitive...... i think they are just very dumb.......

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Yes it does happen, I have had experience of it myself. In fact my son had several consecutive bream on one occasion on lures, all fairly hooked in the lips. The lure he was using was a wooden ''Bagley Monster Shad''. Incidents like this have occured several times over the years. But the one capture that stands out was a fish that was no more than five or so pounds that nailed a ''nine inch'' wooden ''Creek Chub Pikie'', also hooked in the mouth.

It's well documented that many species can become predatory at certain periods, so who knows.

flightliner

Reaction score
I was spinning for perch a few years back on a canal and had a bream of a pound or so.What I found a little contrary was that I had taken around five biggish perch around two pounds or so and that bream struck in the very same area that those perch were taking.
I couldnt help thinking that it was somewhat chancing its arm (fin) to be so close to being perhaps "dinner "itself (maybe a bit to large?) or that it had "gone native" seeing so many other fish around it chasing what appeared to be a good meal.
Any thoughts on that ??????

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Don't know about going native Flight, but I recall **** Walker mentioning roach regurgitating fry. Was it Franz Domhoff who caught roach using roach fry? I know carp have been observed eating fry, as have tench.

Echard Wiederholz created a bit of a stir after catching a ''number'' of barbel on the fly rod using fry imitation lures, but that was back in the 60s. But these examples seem to occur in the early part of the season when small fry are in abundance.

Food for thought eh.

flightliner

Reaction score
Certainly is Derek, I,ve heard just now from a friend that two well known predater men were on that same water last week and what was a good perch water a year or so back its very hard now to find any.
I hope the bream havnt eaten them all!

foxyaz81

Reaction score
Haha dats mad binka aint it! All them fish taken on lures. I had another two today on lives bout 6lb each

David Dalton

Reaction score
I have had bream following a lure, but have never yet hooked one while spinning. I think a number of coarse species apart from the better known ones can be caught on small lures.

In his "Observers Book Of Coarse Fishing", Peter Wheat mentioned using a fly spoon to fish for rudd. I tried it once, and managed to catch a few small ones, so it does work. In another book, he also wrote about using lures to fish for barbel, as that was a succesful method on the continent.

Interesting that someone has already mentioned Frans Domhoff. I have an Angling Times yearbook from the sixties with article by him on spinning for roach.

I think if microlight lure fishing becomes more popular in this country, we may hear of all sorts of species being caught that are not normally targetted by lure anglers.

nicepix

Reaction score
I think that many if not all fish are predatory at some time. It's a seasonal thing and driven by protein intake in my reckoning. In summer the amount of fry about means high protein yield for less effort. Same in spring with fish spawn.

I saw an angler at Wintersett Res' use a micromesh landing net to scoop roach fry out of weed near to the bank and then use them to catch perch and roach just a little further out. There is a place I used to fish in the UK where roach fry congregate in a land drain leading to an estuary. As they get brave and venture out into the main channel mullet steam in and mop them up. I've caught dace using a Butcher fly which resembles fry and plenty of chub on Epoxy Minnow and various streamer flies.

Last summer I caught a 20lb+ carp on maize that had a plug and wire trace stuck in its mouth. So, when I fished the same place again I tried small dead roach baits and caught some decent carp on them. I think the main thing to consider is bait size. Fish like pike, zander and perch have teeth and can grab bigger prey. Bream, chub and roach don't have teeth as such and therefore would only be able to deal with smaller prey.

Chris Hammond ( RSPB ACA PAC}

Reaction score
There's a little mill race off the main river where I target chub during the summer. I've watched bream of around 3/4lbs nobbling roach there from the cover of overhanging trees in crystal clear water of no more than two feet deep when stalking chub. I've had a couple on dead-baits intended for zeds too. It's no surprise.

The fish that isn't predatory hasn't been invented yet. I've even watched tench hawking fry in one fenland river and big rudd caught in another drain frequently cough up small fry in the landing net.

I often think that describing certain fish as 'piscavores' is a bit misleading. They all eat one another!

as he said in Star Wars:

"There's always a bigger fish!"

Edit: D'oh sorry I missed Nicepix's point above.