The Rivers? Close Season

jasper or big man

Reaction score
as an older member of the fishing world i think leave things as they are and keep the close season as is

Beecy

Reaction score
I realy couldnt care less wether the riverclosed season is kept or not, i would still have a break from fishing for a month or so any way.

Towards the end of last season i was realy getting fed up with fishing to the point wher i was going more justout of habit than an actual desire to go. I was totaly peed off with braving freezing cold, gale force winds and getting wet through and catching next tonowt.

So when i got home after another miserable,windy,cold,wet,fishless day on the closing day of the season i chucked my gear in the shed and vowed not to get it out again until the weather picks up.

And it stayed in the shed for a bit longer than i expected, i went about9 weeks without even thinking about fishing and didnt miss it one bit. I'd totaly lost interest, never baught a fishing mag and only looked in on FM every now and then when i was bored at work.

Then it happened !!!, got up last saturday and the urge to chuck out a waggler took over me, within the hour i was sat at my local lake in a tee shirt, sun on my back,catching lovely chunky little roach, one a chuck, on the waggler, brilliant.

The rest did me the world of good and now i cant wait until im threading a stick float on the line on the 16th

Maggie

Reaction score
I would think the same goes for a lot of anglers at that time of year anyway so why do you need the closed season except on waters that have a specific reason? and as Graham Marsdenindicated why is it not thecontrolling body of the water that makes the decision of when (if at all) to have one?.

Anyway Great thought provoking article Barry.

F

Fred Bonney

For an 8year old article...very thought provoking, especially as we've discussed and voted on this very matter over the last 3 months!!!/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

W

Wolfman Woody

But as they used to say at the end of all the old movies -

A GOOD CAST IS ALWAYS WORTH REPEATING!

Good cast, Jasper.

I'm like Beecy this year. Chucked the rods away on closing day and that was it. Took them to Clattercote for the training day and left them in the car to play around with Granville's camera (noticed at least one of the pics I took in CF this month!)

Fished the Clattercote match (in pain from torn tendon) and didn't really enjoy it at all. Couldn't play with Granville's camera because he'd forgotten it. He will regret that decision!

Only thing I'm planning for opening day is what is now becoming the annual barbeque, but it's just the food I'm planning that excites me right now.

Still I think the close season should be scrapped. But then you knew that.

Reaction score
To be honest, i am fed up with all the disussions,

all you hear in the shop i work in during close season, is moans and groans about how they can't fish the river and then when it opens, you hear moans and groans about how they caught anything and how they should of went to a commercial water

I wish they could stick to the commercials which they praise to death on and leave the rivers for people that appreciate them

Ryan

W

Wolfman Woody

Colin McHardy, Fred? Lives in West Ewell?

Not been in touch with him for ......... seems like years now. It is years.

Y'know, I might just call him sometime.

F

Fred Bonney

It's very interesting, and goodto see Graham, that people are using the archives of this site.

It's not something I've never done,perhaps I should make more use of it.

But, I'm too busy posting in Bait Box./forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Anyway, what is also interesting to see, is that the same arguements were used in the year 2000 as are being used today. It was also said at that timethat the close season was close to becoming a thing of the past.

We still have the close season.

My I suggest Graham that next March 15th, and every March 15th hereafter that Barry's article is reserected, along with the thread attached to it.

With an Editorial comment:

The Close Season will not be abolished in the foreseeable future. So don't start this up again, please

/forum/smilies/angel_smiley.gif

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

Iused to bejust like jasper towards the end of the season, just couldn't wait till I'd had enough.

A couple of days of hacking through 10'-12' high giant hog weed on the banks of the Wear and I was longing forthe autumn and cooler weather.

These days I'm just grateful for the few days I can fish.

Fred, did we stay at the same B&B at Ringwood March 2007? If it wasn't you you have a twin.

captain carrott

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Fred Bonney(ACA/BS/BTO) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

The Close Season will not be abolished in the foreseeable future. So don't start this up again, please

/forum/smilies/angel_smiley.gif</blockquote>

why fred this is just pandering to your religious beliefs and prjudices, as barry states there is no justifiable reason to keep the thing. other than superstition and ignorance.

F

Fred Bonney

Ah but Jason, it'll see us out!/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

John ,by co-incidenceI was in the area in March 2007, but staying at a B&B in Christchurch.

So, unless you got yourself lost after a night in the pub, orfell over me on the Royalty or Throop, it must have been thetwin I've never met!/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

captain carrott

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Fred Bonney(ACA/BS/BTO) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Ah but Jason, it'll see us out!/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif</blockquote>
it might do fred but like marrying girls off at 10 and sending kids up chimneys, it's only there by tradition and ignorance.

F

Fred Bonney

What's wrong with that then?/forum/smilies/surprised_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif