Pastures new...

P

Paul Thompson

As some of you may have read on other threads, I will be relocating from Luton to hereford during the close season. I am currently spoilt for choice for carp waters at the mo, ranging from good to not so good.
However, when I move, I believe I will be in a bit of a carp desert.

Can anyone tell me of some good waters, club or day ticket, where I will be able to continue the quest, in the surrounding areas?

I did intend to go back and fish Larford again, but don't think I can bring myself to do it after all the changes, and seeing the Larford thread.

I have been brought up on large pits, and prefer them to small ones, but am not after monsters. My target is a 20, and I prefer the more scenic waters.Travel is not a major problem, but any further than two hours driving, and I may well go back to the east mids.

I fancy the shimano linear complex, as that will be reachable, and am considering joing the carp society, to fish Horseshoe.

Any comments or help would be greatly appreciated(and you're all such great blokes too.) :eek:)
Cheers,
The donkey walloper...

A

Alistair Campbell

Paul,

I live in worcester which is about 20 miles from hereford.

There is alot of day ticket waters around worcester and hereford. I will find out the names and post them on here for you.

However some of the best carp fishing round here and the moset senic is on the rivers. The severn and avon both produced 40 pound carp last year, with the avon producing a cracking 40 pound common.

P.S. Dont go back to larford..

A

Alistair Campbell

By the way paul the fish im holding in the picture came from a lake at the back of the shimano complex.

It is a club lake and is 50 pound a year. The lake holds a lot of 20's and some thirties and there is a good possibility of a 40 being in the lake now. If u want directions I will be happy to provide them. The lake is also very quite and senic.

P

Paul Thompson

Thanks Alistair, all details are welcome. I like the sound of the club lake.

I have heard that the shimano complex can get very busy during the warmer months, not something I prefer, I have to admit.

I do know the evesbatch and brockamin fisheries already, as the wife lived in worcester a few years ago, so found those ones, but other than those and Larford, thats all I know....

Cheers

The donkey walloper...

L

Lee Buchan

Hi paul,i've fished shimano with my dad last year,we fished it for 3 night's and we didn't have a run till the last day when my dad had a 16lb at about 6:00am then he had a 24lb about 9:30am then i had my first run at about 11:00am it was my pb at 22lb.

If you go to shimano then make sure you keep at it and stay for a couple of days.

Lee.

M

Mark Lathwell

Welcome to Hereford Paul.
I live in Hereford myself and fish at a place called Docklow pools wich is only 30 mins drive from Hereford town.

It is a great place with day ticket , match and syndicate pools.
The day ticket pools have carp up to and over 20lb.

I am there most sat with my sons may see you one day.

And pay a visit to Woodys angling center in hereford great shop and good advise.

A

Alistair Campbell

Paul,

I will be having a look at the club lake again in a few weeks if you want to have a look with us or I can e-mail u some pictures of the place and of the fish?

There is two big lakes at the back both about 70 acres joined by a small canal. The carp stocking is low however there is definatley fish to mid thirties and always rumours of bigger.

Shimano does get very busy and it is quite expensive if u plan on spending any amount of time down there.

R

Ron Clay

If I lived in Luton and got the chance to move to Hereford, there is no doubt what I would do - move to Hereford!!!

You have the lovely river Wye on your doorstep.

What more does any real angler want?

A

Alistair Campbell

Are you saying people who fish for carp arent real anglers ron?

A

Alistair Campbell

Not at all ron, I was just wonderin how u classed a 'real angler'?

G

Gary Knowles

Alistair,

I think Ron was just alluding to the fact that you will be on the doorstep of one of the countries best rivers. 30lb pike, 7lb chub, 2lb roach, double figure barbel, etc, etc..all inhabit the Wye.

I know your original thread asked about carp fishing but I'm suprised that no-one else mentioned the fact that the Wye would offer you some fantastic options.

A

Alistair Campbell

Gary,

Does the wye hold any carp? Im out that way this afternoon so maybee will have a walk along the river.

I fish the teme at powick and have seen barbel to 15lb landed. Is there any day ticket streches on the wye or is it club water?

A

Alistair Campbell

Ron,

I belive it does im afraid, I have heard reports of a few being caught and was just wonderin if someone could confirm them?

R

Ron Clay

Perhaps I should explain myself.

I didn't realise that this thread had been posted in the Carp Fishing Section. I very rarely visit this section because carp, quite frankly hold no interest to me as other members of this website will confirm.

However I always look at the hot threads and in doing so I was immediatly attracted to the fact that no mention was made of the River Wye, one of Britains most magnificent rivers. I would give much to live by this water. It is my dream to retire by a truly wild river such as this one.

I don't want to give the impression that I think carp anglers are not "real anglers". Other anglers have every right to fish for what they want.

However I did think it strange that anyone should want to live in a place like Luton which is comparatively riverless rather than move to a county of beautiful countryside, wonderful rivers and very friendly people.

Maybe my values are outdated in this modern world, where it seems the bigger and the uglier a thing is, the better.

If I am to be judged a dinosaur, then so be it.

R

Ron Clay

Oh and by the way, there is quite a good carp water in Herefordshire.

Take the A40 out of Ross and look for the right turn to Glewstone. From this village follow the road to Llangorran. You will cross over the A4137.

On the right hand side about a mile up this road you will see a farm track on the right. Follow this and eventually you will see a small lake of about 21/2 acres formed by damming a stream in the dip. It used to have some lovely willows next to it but they have been cut down. I forget the name of the lake but I do believe it has produced some big carp in the past up to 50lbs.

I'm 60 tommorow and my mind is going, I can't even think of the name of that water. ;o[

G

Gary Knowles

Nah, i know where he means - it's Bernithan Court - isn't it. A decent eel and gudgeon water. I did hear it's done one or two nice carp though !

Speak to Brummie Williams or Dave Cooper for advice on the Wye Alistair - I've only fished it a couple of times.

R

Robert Draper

Ooh, nasty, fancy having a birthday at the start of the closed season - you will have to wait three months to try your prezzies out!

Happy birthday Ron you old b*gg*r!