Old Mitchell reel, what where they thinking

paul80

Reaction score
Old Mitchell Reel

What the hell where they thinking

Hi Guys

Just seen this little oddity on another site.

Is that the oddest looking reel and concept ever

juzryd.jpg

Paul

jack sprat

Reaction score
It's a tournament casting reel. When the line is spooled it is manually transferred to the spool in front from each bale arm respectively.

Reaction score
It was designed for carp anglers to allow multiple lines / rigs on one rod. All this changed when the rod pod was invented and the EA introduced multi rod licences.

sam vimes

Reaction score
They were probably thinking "how can we milk the same basic design with absolute minimal costs incurred?" Same as most businesses try to do.

jack sprat

Reaction score
It was never used for fishing as my answer states. I think they were very expensive as so very few were ever made.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
One sold resently for $9000 dollers in its box never been used only about 60 were made in 62 a chap used one at the world casting championships in europe a couple of years ago and took five classes agaist the best modern reels they are very sort after and sell for silly money about 30 have known owners thoughout the world.

---------- Post added at 09:04 ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 ----------

Check out mitchell wedding cake reel on google all the info you need.

nicepix

Reaction score
These reels were made in the days before anglers laid awake at night fretting about whether their spools are oscillating properly.

flightliner

Reaction score
a chap used one at the world casting championships in europe a couple of years ago and took five classes agaist the best modern reels

They are/were a great product.
When Shimano brought out their reels with "dyna balence" and "smoother" linelay they were claiming that casting distances would be much improved for the users.I have some myself and prior to buying them was carp fishing a notts pit, it had a scaffold pole stuck out of the water near its center so it was easy to judge casting distances between the two.
The new Shimanos were no better than the old Mitchell 300s.:eek:mg:
The claim was B locks!:D:D

Redfin---- most good trentmen had them back then--- you sure you aint got one hiding in your house?:wh

redfin123

Reaction score
Old Mitchell Reel

What the hell where they thinking

Hi Guys

Just seen this little oddity on another site.

Is that the oddest looking reel and concept ever

juzryd.jpg

Paul

flight, yes i was one one of those trentmen using mitchells, and i,ve still got it in the bottom of a drawer somewhere, can,t give it away. Would you be seen with this monstrosity on your rod???:eek:mg::eek:mg:::eek::eek:

flightliner

Reaction score
can,t give it away. Would you be seen with this monstrosity on your rod???:

I.d have it in a shot but I suspect it will be for a cack handed winder.

Maybe not a good looking thing to put on my rod but anything that makes an item three times its normal length cant be all bad;);):D

nicepix

Reaction score
I don't understand people who claim that Mitchell reels of this era were trash. All the top anglers, match and specimen used the Mitchell 300 series reels for around two decades. Coarse, game and sea anglers used these reels at home and abroad.

I've heard it said on here that the ABU Cardinals were more popular, but certainly in my area and from memory of reading fishing magazines of the time, the Mitchell reigned supreme. Even today ebay has four times more Mitchell 300 models on sale than the whole of the ABU Cardinal range. And they are going for good money for a thirty year old reel.

I've got a battered Mitchell 300 from around 1973 that I still occasionally use and a very nice Match that i use for long range float fishing and for waggler fishing on rivers. As flightliner has said, modern reels might have features the Match hasn't got, but they don't cast any further.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I don't understand people who claim that Mitchell reels of this era were trash.

I'm not sure tht anyone is claiming that. I've said it before, I lusted after Mitchells in my youth. The Abus had been around for years by then but I never drooled over them. Unfortunately, by the time I could afford to buy either Abu or Mitchell, there were better alternatives.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't understand people who claim that Mitchell reels of this era were trash. All the top anglers, match and specimen used the Mitchell 300 series reels for around two decades. Coarse, game and sea anglers used these reels at home and abroad.

I've heard it said on here that the ABU Cardinals were more popular, but certainly in my area and from memory of reading fishing magazines of the time, the Mitchell reigned supreme. Even today ebay has four times more Mitchell 300 models on sale than the whole of the ABU Cardinal range. And they are going for good money for a thirty year old reel.

I've got a battered Mitchell 300 from around 1973 that I still occasionally use and a very nice Match that i use for long range float fishing and for waggler fishing on rivers. As flightliner has said, modern reels might have features the Match hasn't got, but they don't cast any further.

The ABU Cardinal did not come on the market till 75/76 and by that time the 300 had been cheapened and was no longer the reel it once was more carp anglers used the 55 and 57 than ever used a 300 the reason you do not see as many for sale is that a lot of the anglers who had them in that pre bait runner era have still got them you can even buy a replacement aluminium spool because that was the only part of that reel that was **** I have four and they still get used.