ban bait boats

neilcod

Reaction score
should bait boats be baned i think yes all they do is sneak in to other anglers swims look like something of a scifi movie at night they light up the hole b..........srd water i wos night fishing the other when all ov a suden i thought the aliens had landed in the middle ov the water i think they should be baned whats gonner happen next bait boats with nets on them hunter bait boats f..k me fishing by remote control its not fishing its takein all the fun out ov fishing the hole part ov fishing is casting so let ban bait boats or sink um hahahahahahaha/forum/smilies/angry_smiley.gif

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Well Neil I certainly agree that the lights on some of these things need toning down to say the least,fishing at close range is also a no no .On big waters or in other circumstances maybe ,I think they cause problems and resentment between anglers were a simple chuck into a swim would not be seen as taking the piff but sailing a yacht into it is.

Reaction score
I don`t own one Neil ( can`t afford one ) , but they are a fishing tool to be used at distance or in tricky situations i e: to get bait into / under over hanging tree branches .

But most waters that I fish have banned them ,so admit to not seeing the downside of thier misuse , but a few years ago I was shown by a complete **** , how to find a slight dropoff ten feet away with one , when a float would have found it no problem .

Chris Elwis999

Reaction score
Iown a bait boat neil, and the waters where they are allowed to be used I use it, its a tool that helps get my bait to the desired spot with the minimum of disturbance, with the echo sounder I can find features easily without leading around and disturbing the swim. I personally do not encrouch on other anglers swims or use big lights with it as I do not want to draw attention to myself or where my baits are. Generally people who moan about baitboats the most are anglers who have never used one and will probably never will, if it helps me to put a fish on the bank then so be it, each to their own, I can still cast to the desired spots and spod over them on the venues where baitboats are banned.

Bushy

Reaction score
AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH Not the bait boat thing again. LEARN TO CAST !!!!!!!

Reaction score
Firstly i haven't used or own a bait boat so please don shoot me down in flames ,

but the only reason i would use a bait boat near me on the waters i fish if allowed is under trees in the far side margins but the noise of the boat and the disturbance it would cause have ruled it out for me

Ryan
looks like i keep on casting,

TIPP - put your rig n bait into a pva bag and catapult it out for margin fishing further than you can swing it out without wanting to do a noisy overhead cast

F

Frothey

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Bushy wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH Not the bait boat thing again. LEARN TO CAST !!!!!!!</blockquote>

can you cast a method ball 250yds and put it under a bush on an island margin - good man!

used them, dont need them at the mo, would buy again if i thought it would benefit the fishing. there's more people encroaching other peoplesswims by casting into them than by using abaitboat -ban anglers, they are the problem.

Bushy

Reaction score
So everyone should get a bait boat then. And how often would you need to put a bait out to 250 yrds, that is a totaly unrealistic distance to be fishing at, or is it just a line to justify having baitboats whizzing around all over the lake dumping far too much feed than is usually needed into the swim over and over and over again.

F

Frothey

no - read again, i dont own one. its just the "learn to cast" arguement isn't going to work in every situation.

250yds isn't unrealistic on many waters......

"whizzing around all over the lake dumping far too much feed than is usually needed into the swim over and over and over again."

whats the difference between spodding it out and using a boat? or the KIR brigade that reckon its ok to use a dinghy, but not a remote....

Callum Mac

Reaction score
Frothey is 100% right

Bait boats are needed in some situations

If your fishing a big water and carp start rising 250yards out on a patch of gravel what are you going to do?

Use a bait boat! Thats what!

Not everyone needs a bait boat but they have there uses to give people the distance there need and a way to get bait out onto there spot as quick as poss... luckily I heaven't needed one because I don't fish big waters at present and I can reach every point of my current venues with a lead

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Well personally I rather like the feel of a water at night in darkness ,not lit up like a crimbo tree ,to say it spoils the atmosphere is to put it mildly Frothey ,they are nowt but trouble on most waters and cause bad feelings amongst anglers ,especially on popular lakes.
Maybe it is just a few old traditionalists whinging but maybe it is the reason we all go fishing being eroded by a few Mupps.

R

Roto Fryer

the only problem with bait boats is that people use them to fish where they should not.

F

Frothey

As said Gav, its the angler, not the boat - i personally have more of a problem with people's bivvies being lit up by tilley lamps, headtorches permanently on, radio's turned up, buzzers being fiddled with, etc, etc.

i put tape over the led's on mine, and just used a bit of different coloured reflective tape on the bow and stern.....

so once we ban boats, whats next?

Matthew Beddows

Reaction score
The standard dictionary definition of the word ‘angler’ is ‘someone who fishes with rod and line’, so bait boat users would have to be defined as ‘catchers’ or ‘trappers‘ rather than anglers, more akin to techniques like seining, driftnetting, electro fishing, trawling, handlining, or even using trained animals to fish, as they do in parts of Asia with cormorants. Spear fishing and bow fishing is actually closer in terms of defining the skill element in angling due to the direct link between the hunter and quarry than bait boating will ever be. No amount of justification on the part of the bait boat user will ever change the fact that it justisn’t angling, it’s a devastatingly effective but relatively skill-free (compared to casting) mechanical third party technique of bait placement. No doubt there are people who will say there’s a real knack for getting the most out of a bait boat, and that to send it out to the two hundred yard mark accurately every time requires skill. Maybe; but it’s a ‘skill’ even a six year old could master given the time.

F

Frothey

so what about placing the bait by hand from a boat?

The standard dictionary definition of the word ‘angler’ is ‘someone who fishes with rod and line’, so bait boat users would have to be defined as ‘catchers’ or ‘trappers‘ rather than anglers

they are actually still fishing with rod and line though... just not casting - doesn't say anyting about casting in your definition, so they are still angling.

where does your definition leave pole anglers, all they are doing is shipping the bait out with a bit of carbon - no casting involved.

and are people who troll for pike/trout anglers?

Maybe; but it’s a ‘skill’ even a six year old could master given the time.

My 7 year old can cast a fly.... obviously no skill to that either /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Matthew Beddows

Reaction score
Frothey

I did say it’s a standard definition, but it’s certainly not a finite all-encompassing one;Another standard definition- Casting (is) "the act of one who casts or throws." In my view this could easily include the lowering of a trolled lure, or placing a bait tight to reeds with a pole, but doesn't necessarily refer solely to running line methods utilising standard casting techniques most of us employ. Bait boats, as a mechanical/electronic aid shouldn't even be in the equation.

"where does your definition leave pole anglers, all they are doing is shipping the bait out with a bit of carbon - no casting involved."

Apart from your dismissive tone of voice in disregarding many pole angler’s great skill in the method, you also refer to trolling and pole fishing and infer that there isn’t any difference between these methods and the use of an mechanical aid like a bait boat to place a baited line. Well I think there’s a huge difference.

Here’s another standard definition I’m afraid;

Remote / remote-controlled; Distant in connection, relation, bearing … remote from the subject; Control of aircraft, missiles, etc. from a distance, as by radio waves a hand-held device used to control the operation of a television set, videocassette recorder, etc. from a distance.

Even a six year old could distinguish the difference, which brings me to my next point.

“My 7 year old can cast a fly.... obviously no skill to that either”

That last comment is puzzling. What has a seven year old’s ability to cast a fly, skilfully or not got to do with putting a bait out accurately at 200 yards, which is the example I used? If your seven year old can do this, or can cast a bait tight under overhanging trees at even a quarter that distance then I stand corrected.

Bait boats are used as a substitute for skill, to cast into places, in many instances a carp’s sanctuary normally out of reach of most with a standard cast. They are also used to place quantities of bait around the hook bait with accuracy. If that’s what you like to do then fine - whatever floats your remote …but it’s not angling!

F

Frothey

That last comment is puzzling. What has a seven year old’s ability to cast a fly, skilfully or not got to do with putting a bait out accurately at 200 yards, which is the example I used?

I was replying to your dismissive tone about using a bait boat notbeing "skillfull"asa 6 year old could learn to do it quickly, ergo neither is casting a fly.

you really should do your research before making assumptions about me - iI pole fish,I fly fish, I carp fish along with many other facets of the sport - i dont necessarily talk about them on here. I also dont actually use or owna boat! But at least I can talk from the experience of one that has.

Bait boats are used as a substitute for skill, to cast into places, in many instances a carp’s sanctuary normally out of reach of most with a standard cast.

But it would be ok to cast to the far bank, walk around and place it by hand? Or to have people repeatedly cast at a bush (for example) leaving dozens of sets of tackle in the bush when they get the cast wrong?

They are also used to place quantities of bait around the hook bait with accuracy. If that’s what you like to do then fine - whatever floats your remote …but it’s not angling!

any different to cupping bait out on a pole? oh, i forgot, thats ok so long as you're holding the pole - I'm sure the fish appreciate the difference!

i still fail to see how putting a bait by pole next to some reeds is any more skillfull than placing it by boat - in my opinion neither is. also you are splitting hairs withregards to how attaching a lure to a downrigger and lowering it (by your own "standard definition,a mechanical aid - even a 6 year old could tell that)to a depth oftenjudged by echo sounder (again, a "remote" aid - is that 6 year old stillabout?)is "casting" and any different to dropping a baitboat is beyond me -you even (by your own admition) conviniently add lowering to the standard definition of to "cast or throw". well ifloweringcan beincluded on a whim, then in my viewI'm going to include lowering into a vessel.....

each to their own. we can carryon playing with words, but it wont stop anyone who wants to use one using one, and it wont convince anyone who doesn't like them to like them. people seem to get so wound up by stuff like this - i just dont fish the sort of waters that they get abused on very often, and i really cant get that wound up by it!

if anglers that use baitboats are essentially clueless and cheating when it comes to catching fish, it'll exclude many of our "hero's"..... including at least one highly regarded on-line magazine editor... /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Reaction score
The bait boat is a tool to get your bait/feed out to a chosen spot , the same as the float , feeder , spod etc , it will not put you on the fish or the fish on to your bait , that is down to your skill as a angler to work that one out but it will get your bait into places that you can`t cast to,where the hell is the harm in that ?

Don`t knock it untill you have tried it or in my case untill I can afford it ./forum/smilies/i_dont_know_smiley.gif