Obsessed with the weather...

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Last few days I've been glued to the weather forecast - with particular emphasis on how much the wye (which is running very low at the moment) will rise with the forcast rain between now and the weekend.

Are there any Herefordshire types on here who might want to hazard a guess at where the guages will be at the weekend?

(Put me out of my misery!!:))

B

binka

Wye (!) worry?

The conditions around here were perfect but the fish didn't respond, i'm sure I read of one post in the "How did everyone get on then" thread of somebody really struggling on the Wye last weekend.

Have normal river conditions become abnormal and have the fish become accustomed to what once would have been spate conditions that they just want to wallow around and enjoy the sunshine on the odd occasion that our rivers are at a nice level at this time of year?

cg74

Reaction score
I guess what im worried about most is finding a raging bank high torrent!

I very much doubt you'll faced with a raging torren, it's currently at summer level, cold and bloody hard going!

Yesterday I managed a whole 4 grayling and a chub. Today I faired better taking 2 barbel, both about 5lb and half a dozen chub, all between 2 and 3lb.
If the weather that's forecast arrives, it should aid fishing no end, as TBH it's s**t at present.

Rich P

Reaction score
Yes, indeed. I expect the water table level has receded a bit with the relatively dry weather we've experienced recently. Thus any sharp rises in level should fall off again fairly quickly. As cg74 suggests the rain may well bring them on the feed (at least, I think that's the suggestion?)...

Good luck to all for the last few days of the season. Up here in the North West it looks as if tomorrow and Saturday provide the best chance of a March barbel. The temps are sliding away from Sunday. Please don't quote me on that, however. :)

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Hurgen, my efforts on the 8th March (total blank!!) would suggest you made the right decision! Never mind, there's always next season....

aebitim

Reaction score
Fished sat for two trout a grayling and a good chub which pulled the hook at the net, lovely day and a 350 mile round trip.

Ronnie

Reaction score
just got back from 4 days booked on the Wye, Freezing temperatures, strong winds, we didn't bother to fish day four!
Had 1 barbel, 4 chub between 2 of us, lost a couple. Just bad weather won't go again in March unless we get temps like last year (18 degrees)

R

Judas Priest

Reaction score
I was on the Lower Severn for four days, came home on day 4 as 2 bites over that time wasn't good. Had a barbel on day two, freezing wind, gale force snow showers, deep deep silt everywhere, no sign of fish moving and the lure of central heating became to much.

Compared to last Closing week when we were in T shirts and shorts it came as a bit of a shock.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Had 6 days staying on the Wye.

Saturday, managed 5 barbel to about 9lb in an afternoon session. Felt the wind starting to chill.

Sunday Bitter, managed 2 hours piking with a 14lber (estm)

Monday evil. 2 hours piking, ditto Tuesday. Blanked. 6 anglers biteless for barbel.

Wednesday. Not quite so cold. 5 anglers blanked...maggots/pellet/meat. Fished 3 hours. blanked.

Thursday. Walked the bank. 2 anglers had spent 3 hours biteless...went home.

Enjoyed it despite the weather.

Ray Wood 1

Reaction score
Compared to last Closing week when we were in T shirts and shorts it came as a bit of a shock.[/QUOTE]

Was that a shock for those around you Phil:)