Carp Rigs for shallow silt please?

paulhereford

Reaction score
Hello all,

I would be grateful please for any suggestions as to how to go aboutfishing shallow waterwith a depth of 1ft with deep silt for carp at close range - 20 and 60 yards. The silt in the lake seems to be consistantly deep with our leads plugging due to the shallow waterand proving very difficult to dislodge and retrieve. A large number of good sized carp were in this area today and we tried to tempt them with surface baits but to no avail. I think the fish were in the shallow water prior to spawning but didn't seem interested in our baits although we saw them silting up the water on a regular basis which we presumed was the fish feeding.

Any help regarding rigs and baits would be gratefully appreciated.

Paul Hereford

Reaction score
use a standard bolt rig rig with soft braid, and put a plastic lid in between the lead and bolt
clip,

the plastic lids from vending machine cups are ideal as are ones from soft drinks at mc donalds etc

also use wafters as hookbaits (critically balanced pop ups so they sink slowly )
Ryan

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Attatch a small piece of quill or small float top and bottom with float rubbers then put a hook on but make sure to fish at maybe three or feet deep as to make sure the line acts naturally if brushed against by the carp ,if you want a hooklenght attatch a swivel and link but make sure to fish it well over depth,find an area in which they are feeding (clouding) chuck rig out and scatter a few free offerings around chosen spot.
The float should now be lay flat on the surface and the float should start to twitch as carp move around in the area ,sit on your hands ignore the twitches and wait for it to start skipping along the surface in a definate direction (this is the way the carp is travelling so strike in the opposie direction to sink the hook home).
The bites are usually unbelievably positive and ever so slow it skips one way then slowly disappears a bit like the Jaws movie but in minature.
I am not to clever at explaining things but I hope you get the jist of it ,keep the rigs in reserve .

Callum Mac

Reaction score
Get a good but of bait out there and fish in the silt... fish that are troffing will hoover it up even in 6 inches of silt

Trust me I've done it

If not use Nash Drag Back PVA and fill a pva bag with your desired feed (pellet, hemp, corn e.c.t) and don't put any wholes in it the bag... cast out to your chosen spot and the pva will float because of the air in the bag... it should disolve and float to the top and the pellets will trickle nicely ontop of the silt and you hookbait will be above the silt because it been prevented from being draged to the bottom by the pva bag

15mm boilie - 10mm pop-up and a enterprise fake corn hairstop.... prefectly critically balanced hookbait without all the whittling /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

F

Frothey

at 60 yards Gav?

also use wafters as hookbaits (critically balanced pop ups so they sink slowly )

depends on the silt though - if the fish have got their bodies half buried in the silt, the bait could be bouncing around 12" above them! fish where the food is.....

paulhereford

Reaction score
Many thanks gents for the great advice I really appreciate it...itall makes sense. I will have a think about the best way to put it into practice and let you know how I get on!

YesSlime monster- the depth appears to be a maximum of 1ft deep and complete silt underneath.

Many thanks

Paul Hereford

stephen edge

Reaction score
try putting your hooklink about 1 foot or more up the leadcore away from the lead (trilead) which is attached to the end of the leadcore and put a solid pva bag of dry vitalin on the hook to slow its decent.If your useing tubeing and a leadclip put 1 foot or more of amnesia between the lead and the leadclip and again use a solid bag of dry mix to slow the decent,and drop it through the water on a tight line.

slime monster

Reaction score
i assume you are day fishing paul it is screaming for a dumpy waggler about 2 inches long fished a foot over depth all shot under the float and loose feed the carp will respond to the noise of the feed and they will find it in silt IF it reaches the bottom

the float can be a balsa body waggler.....sawn off

i suggest dead maggot and hemp for feed via catapult

paulhereford

Reaction score
Thanks very much. I am going to try the float approach and a form of the chod rig. Great advice and much appreciated. Now to see if I can put it to good use!

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Go for it Paul and good luck ,Frothey is right about the distances though regarding the float but they will come close in if you are quiet.

steveo

Reaction score
Paul...

I've jus been fishing a area of a lake that has deep silt and shallow water.

I used a leader and lead clip,the lightest lead possible(very lightly pushed on tail rubber) to get the bait to where the carp are.A 4" hooklink with a small hook and bait.Attached to the hook was a pva bag with a couple of very small bait samples and about 8 foam nuggets.

The light lead,clip and leader will prevent the rig dissappearing to far into the silt,the light lead will plug into the silt and give you a very good bolt effect.The foam bag will slow down and keep your hookbait from sinking and will allow it to rest nicely in the top the layer of silt when it melts with a couple of freebies in the silt with it.Ive caught plenty on,so give it a go.

Failing that just try to get the carp to feed closer or where its easier to fish for them.

Cheers

paulhereford

Reaction score
Good evening all. Thanks to advice given I managed to catch 2 carp from the shallow deep silt area of a local lake this evening. A lovely 12lb 8oz common first cast and a beautifully conditioned mirror of 15lb 8oz second cast -a my new personal best! Both fish fell to a critically balanced artificial corn bait fished on a homemade chod rig.

Pictures below

I am absolutely chuffed and will trying to tempt one of the bigger carp that we have spotted in the shallows.
Paul_12lb_8oz_Common_3rd_June_2008_2.jpg

Paul_15lb_8oz_Mirror_3rd_June_08_2.jpg

Paul_15lb_8oz_Mirror_3rd_June_08.jpg

Many, many thanks for all the help you have given me.

Paul Hereford

B

Bully

Nice - well done. Chod rig errr? Now that is getting technical!!

AngleDangler

Reaction score
Nice camerawork there I reckon young Paul /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif
15 minutes of magic!

AngleDangler

Reaction score
And he didn't even mention the candle method (which didn't work this time btw).