Christchurch Dorset fishing

Reaction score
Just thought i'd let the guys who fish near christchurch know that there a few fish out at hengitsbury head and the water) temp is quite cold (13 deg Celsius) look for warmer water and you will find the fish, we went along the coast (other way out of mudeford quay and found a warmer area (17 deg Celsius) and it was full of small mackerel we caught about 10 in a few minutes and lost the same or more but put them back as they were too small

(i think it has a little to do with the fact that the skipper (member of family) was going out tonight and didn't want to gut them )) but anyway they went back in pristine condition

Ryan

M

MarkTheSpark

No such thing as mackerel that are too small. The small ones are called 'pikebaits'

Reaction score
I would of had them for that but,
a) mother is a vegetarian so i would have no chance of putting them in the freezer
b) if i wait a littlw while i will have good size mackeral for eating
c) i work in a tackle shop so get bait cheap and i have some macks i put in the work freezer last year

Ryan

alan

Reaction score
No such thing as mackerel that are too small

all mackerel shore or boat caught have to be a minimum of 30cm, DEFRA are starting checks, and there have been a few skippers done for keeping undersized fish.

Ive also seen DEFRA people walking along the beech and checking shore anglers catch sizes. again you can face prosecution if you keep any under size.

M

MarkTheSpark

Makes you wonder where the tackle shops get their joey mackerel, doesn't it? Or whether there will be a shortage in the future.

Reaction score
i didn't think there was a minimum size for mackeral, i knew there was for bass but for mac's

are you sure i am pretty sure it is sea bass that have that or similar size limit - i am waiting for a month or two when hopefully they will be there for me to catch them for the table

Ryan

Reaction score
According to your chart, bass have a minimum size of 41cm - isn't the chart a suggested size by the nfsa????

Thanks anyway

Ryan

alan

Reaction score
no, DEFRA set the limits. the NFSA post them for RSA's

the Bass being listed as 41cm was due to an increase agreed by DEFRA last year, it was set to start from april.

at the very last moment the gov and DEFRA caved in to the trawler boys and left the size at 36cm.

the NFSA have left it as a recomended 41cm to give the fish chance to breed.

all other sizes are as set by DEFRA, i would link direct to them, but the pages are "missing" at the moment.

Reaction score
Cheers alan, to be honest never realised there were proper procedures for bass and pollock but to be honest most of the fish (95% +) i take home are easily above the size limits

Ryan

alan

Reaction score
Ryan, i must confess to finding that statement very worrying, you work in a tackle shop, but were unaware of the MLS's.

any decent tide book will give that info, and every tackle shop ive been im sell/give away a plastic ruler with fish MLS's marked on it.

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
there is a minimum size but tell that to the foreign trawlers that scrape away at our coastline. So much easier for defra to walk along the beach and check shore anglers thereby fulfilling all their reporting criteria to the government

Sea fishing used to be fantastic but its a different game altogether now, scratching round for small flatfish just to get a bite.

Reaction score
Yeah i have noticed the downfall of our uk spots, also its amazing how many lobster pots and nets ?( i think )we see on the way out to our chosen spots

Ryan

I don't think myself with a lone spinner could have done much damage with the 5% or lower fish i took home wrongfully. (i get out sea fishing once a month if i'm lucky)

alan

Reaction score
I don't think myself with a lone spinner could have done much damage with the 5% or lower fish i took home wrongfully. (i get out sea fishing once a month if i'm lucky)

you personally? not much, you and all the others around the uk? estimated 2-3million sea anglers, if everyone took under sized fish that is a hell of a lot.

as i said if you work in a tackle shop and were unaware, how many of your customers have been given the wrong info as well?

Reaction score
None, we rarely sell sea fishing tackle, i am more of a coarse and carp fisher personaly.

Ryan

Then look at the trawlers, they could easily take what we take wrongly in a year on an daily basis.