Circle Hooks

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
Though strictly not a carp thread,i was wondering if any of you bigcarp fisherman can help ???

I am buying hooks for the annual fishing magic catfish get together and have noticed circle hooks amongst the patterns availiable.I don`t knowanyone who specifically fishes for cats and would offer any advice on circle hooks but i know some carp anglers use them and was wondering what benefits or pros and cons they have and in what situation(s) and baits would you use them.

Cheers folks.

NIGE K

Reaction score
i have not used them but for catfish i cant see them being any good as they will not penetrate as they do on softer mouthed species.

F

Frothey

they are designed for long-line trolling - you need the fish to take in a certain way for them to work properly (close mouth, turn away) which car dont normally do....

steveo

Reaction score
Hi Nick...

I presume you have fished for cats before.They have very hard boney mouths and although I have never used the circle hook patterns I would think that unless they took hold in the scissors then you will bump fish.

The only experience I can say is that size 02/04 eagle wave hooks have always done well especially if you give them a good honing with a diamond file.These hooks in conjunction with a bolt rig with a lead of 16oz's plus works well when fishing at range using strings of 22mm pellet.

hope this helps

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
yes steveo....i have fished for cats before and have plenty of the normal big heavy gauge hooks etc....

I have never had any experience of the circle ones and just wondered....i am sure i`ve seen some in the past,marketed by terry eustace???

Perhaps cats and carp was a pretty poor comparison but i know carp anglers use them.

Thanks for the replies gents....i think i will stick with what i know /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif