Floaters!

Mike Pulham

Reaction score
Hi all,

Was out fishing today and thought as it was warm i'd give floating dog biscuits a go. I had some enterprise fake ones which are fine but i'd throw in a handful of real ones as well as the fake on the hook, the real ones would all get eaten then a carp would come up go to take the fake but then move away. Any ideas what i was doing wrong?

Mike

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Could be many things they so the hook or the colour was a bit wrong. I have used them for a long time but find it always best to get the carp fighting for the freebies first.

Jay Folly

Reaction score
Why use fake ones?/forum/smilies/i_dont_know_smiley.gif

they are sssooooooooo different in the water the fish are just not going to fall for it!

with real floaters, after a little while, they go a little bit fluffy and expand, plastic stays the same.

try using some "smartbait" floating chum, they come in the same flavours as boilies and pellets, and you can either hook them, or, as i do, put a small ridge with your fingernail on the edge, and put a blob of super glue to the hook.

The fish on my lake love em, and you can also use them for zigs! at around £4.50 in the shops for a 800g bag, you cant go wrong!

www.talltreesfishery.com

slime monster

Reaction score
why use fake bait which the fish obviously showed no liking for, if you put mixers in a plastic bag with some water/colour /flavouring whatever ...just enough liquid to turn them rubbery about 1 inch in bottom of the bag,blow into the bag seal it and roll the mixers around every so often until water has been absorbed you can nick them with a large hook and they cast ok.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
I use the fake ones as the carp do one of two things. They either just hold the mixer in there lips and drop back or they hit the mixer with there flanks then come back. Both these usually knock the real ones of the hook.

I do use real ones when fly fishing for the carp. With a real one superglued to the hook.

The Sogster

Reaction score
For over 15 years I have used fake floaters made from cork with a AAA shot superglued into the bottom as a counterbalance to the hook. This means that the hook is always out of the water and there is no chance of the fish feeling the hook and spooking.I have used this method with great success and in my experience it catches more fish than a regular hair rigged or banded mixer, of course being made of cork I can also soak my 'fake' mixer in the same attractant/ glug as my freebie mixers.