A day in Roach heaven!

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Know I haven't been posting lately - been too busy - but I have certainly found time to fish and have to tell you all of a day in roach heaven catching the most wonderful bag of perfectly conditioned red fins I have ever had the pleasure of reporting. The catch of a life time- and not a carp in sight...

Given the water is primarily the preserve of one dimensional carp anglers no one ever fishes for the roach but my mate and I did using simple waggler tactics with corn, banded pellets and sono baits crab and mussel hookers.

In all I had 58lbs of pristine roach, averaging 8-12 ozs, with several just under a pound and 13 over including four of 1lbs 1 oz, two of 1lbs 2 oz, two at 1lbs 3 ozs, two of 1lbs 5 ozs, and one apiece of 1lbs 7oz, 1lbs 8ozs and a new PB of 1lbs 11 ozs, however I have still to crack my 2lbs Holly Grail! This water certainly holds them and I'll be back.

My pal did even better today with 164 fish for 83lbs. The carp heads thought we were Mad!

Carp-you can keep em...a day with the much ignored roach is my idea of heaven!

F

Fred Bonney

Lovely fishing Peter.

I'm trying a similar thing this weekend, for tench though, and someones special bait..

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Its surprising what other species and the size and condition of them that big Carp waters can throw up. But like you said they are never fished for. Certainly where I used to fish the main lake was filled with carpers all weekend andin the main they would complain about catching nice Tench to 8lbs and double figure Bream.I'm not having a go at carp fishermen just stating facts.

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
Well done Peter, that is indeed an impressive bag of roach....I never managed to catch one over 12 oz yet/forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif

Reaction score
Sounds like a nice day mate , the 2 lbers will soon come with a little perseverance, once they start, you can have a good day catching loads of big roach,

Ryan

NIGE K

Reaction score
hey fred where are you going for the tench let me know how you do.

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Thanks guys and girls,as I said truly awsome fishing.

If truth be told we didn't avoid the carp entirely. We couldn't over 12 hours. I had a lovely crucian of 1.5lbs plus one little mirror (vermin Fawlty!) of about 2lbs that I thought was a roach, while my mate picked up a stray 11lbs mirror which snapped up his single corn in the margin as his sipped his coffee before casting again. With great skill he eventually got it on a 15ft match rod, 2lbs bottom and a 16 hook!

F

Fred Bonney

A pond in N. Somercotes, Nige.Carp up to 20's and apparentlyoccasionally a tench shows of some size.

So, I'm going looking/forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

I'll let you know if i find any!

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Just to pick up on Fred's Point (how are you Ed?) it is becoming increasingly difficult to target the species of your choice because carp dominate so many waters these days.

In many waters the roach get fat on pellets and boilies piled in for the carp but the poor old tench is at the bottom (literally ) of the food chain and gets bullied out of his fair share.

Carp are such aggressive feeders you end up having to try smaller baits they may not home in on, buttargeting tench to the exclusion of carp nowthat's a challenge Fred.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Well done Peter, proper fishing!

I used to have some success with good roach from Gold Valley in the winter. Nice bags of good quality roach with the very occassional one over 2lbs but invariably the carp would turn up and ruin the day.

I tried several times last winter but failed miserably, I think the carp now totally dominate the place, although excellent silver fish nets are recorded in matches.

Currently, I'm trying to avoid the tench (!) in favour of crucians at Marsh Farm. The big bonus there is the lack of commons/mirrors, a very big plus factor in my book.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

On a similar theme, I am definately going to have a bash for the Clattercote roach this summer given Mark's 20lb plus bag at the match.I'll post when i have a date in mind in case anyone wants to join me for the day.Hopefully fishing hemp and tare will keep the mudpigs at bay.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I've just found out that a water four miles from home has roach over two pounds that are catchable if you can get through the small stuff which is easier said than done but a 1-06 fish is a promising start and I hope to figure it out. Three miles the otherdirection is where the record came from but those fish are long gone yet the stillwater roach potential is looking up locally for me.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

I take it is not a commercial Mark as of course big fish from such venues need to be divided by half when it comes to weight/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif