Hi from Russia.

artem21

Reaction score
Hi everyone. My name is Artem and sorry for my bad english, i never used it after school and never mind, that it can be useful for me.

I really don't know why i have registered here... But probably, because situation with fishing in Russia (not so much with fishing, but with attitude to fish, and ways to catch it) is too bad, and when i started read about England and about mentality of British anglers, i was pleasantly surprised, that there are still places in the world where people are not so greedy. I hope you understand me, but just in case i will give an example: in my country the rule "Catch and release" started to practice at the end of ninetieth by small number of anglers. And now the situation has not improved. People go fishing not as fisherman's, but hunters. This is how we are fishing in russia :D

I love fishing too much, but after reading and watching videos about fishery in England, i have firmly decided for my self, that i do not want to be a part of russian fishing mentality. Fishing in russia turned to a very big dirty business: "If you want to go fishing, you must bought a groundbait, attractants and other kind of sh*t, because with out that stuff you have no right to be called an angler" - that is a concept. Oh, I almost forgot another rule - "your fishing session is done well, if you caught more fish, than amount of groundbait you used to catch it" - that is really fun, i guess...

Now i am looking for neutral, enjoyable method for catching a fish. By the way
- no one (!!!) in russia fishing with light wagglers. Only heavy models is in preference (10-20-25 grams). Whip, bolognese, feeder and pole are the most popular ways to catch a fish. So, maybe i will buy a rod for light wagglers and stick float fishing. Just for good time spending.

I hope that this wall of text is understandable :D With best regards.

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Artem do not worry about your English, it is better than most on here :)

Welcome to the Forum.

The bad one

Reaction score
Hi Artem welcome to FM.
You don't say in which part of Russia you come from? Having travelled thought Russia West to East and done some fishing whilst I was there, I understand what you are saying.
Whilst staying with Friends in Irkutsk and because my host fished I took him some English tackle over. He at first scratched his head in bemusement at the lightness of the rod and floats I gave him as a gift. Until I explained how we use them over here. He could then see the benefit they brought because of the design.
Since, he has put the match rod and wagglers to good use catching plenty of roach, ide and crucian carp on the small lakes around the city.

Sadly most going on the table as food.

Got to say it took a lot of time to explain to him about why we in the UK practice catch and release on all freshwater fish, other than, in the main, trout and salmon.
Initially he just kept shaking his head at our practice and saying in Russian you are mad, they are food!
But I think he got why we no longer eat them in the UK, when I explained we are an island surrounded by sea and once plentiful sea fish stocks that are much tastier than freshwater fish.

I’ll be honest here, one fish I did get a liking for whilst I was there was smoked Omal out of Lake Baikal. Oh man they were good and I had them most days for my lunch.

artem21

Reaction score
You don't say in which part of Russia you come from?
I am from Moscow. And I understand, why you asked me that question :). Against the background of the central Russia (Moscow, St-Petersburg...), where the density of people is too big and no one cares about ecology, situation with fishery in east regions is not so bad.
Whilst staying with Friends in Irkutsk and because my host fished I took him some English tackle over. He at first scratched his head in bemusement at the lightness of the rod and floats I gave him as a gift. Until I explained how we use them over here. He could then see the benefit they brought because of the design. Since, he has put the match rod and wagglers to good use catching plenty of roach, ide and crucian carp on the small lakes around the city.
In this case I can understand him. Most of people, who living far from central russia, are in the poverty line. And fish really helps them to survive. Of course he reacted with skepticism to the rod and floats, that you gave him. They do not look like "tools for mining the fish" :D But more depressing situation is in Central Russia, where people are living in the relative plenty and they can go fishing not especially for getting the food. But the aim is always to catch a lot of fish and if they do - "Run, Fish, run!" And it would be good, if they are fishing with traditional, coarse methods. But always sport-methods (poles, feeders and whips) are using with the tons of groundbait. I can understand this only if you are fishing on competitions, not on every amateur fishing!
Just look at the Red Book of Moscow, or at the Red Book of Moscow Region - and you will understand me. I can post links, if you want. (on russian, of course, but all is understandable through pictures).

With best regards.

Last edited:

The bad one

Reaction score
I am from Moscow. And I understand, why you asked me that question :). Against the background of the central Russia (Moscow, St-Petersburg...), where the density of people is too big and no one cares about ecology, situation with fishery in east regions is not so bad.

In this case I can understand him. Most of people, who living far from central russia, are in the poverty line. And fish really helps them to survive. Of course he reacted with skepticism to the rod and floats, that you gave him. They do not look like "tools for mining the fish" :D But more depressing situation is in Central Russia, where people are living in the relative plenty and they can go fishing not especially for getting the food. But the aim is always to catch a lot of fish and if they do - "Run, Fish, run!" And it would be good, if they are fishing with traditional, coarse methods. But always sport-methods (poles, feeders and whips) are using with the tons of groundbait. I can understand this only if you are fishing on competitions, not on every amateur fishing!
Just look at the Red Book of Moscow, or at the Red Book of Moscow Region - and you will understand me. I can post links, if you want. (on russian, of course, but all is understandable through pictures).

With best regards.
Yes Artem I think you are right about the east and my observation of the people I met were, they were quite environmentally and ecologically aware and valued their wildlife and surroundings, even though they exploited them. The exploitation of those resources in many cases seemed to be as near as sustainable as could be. Whether that was down to laws or self-regulation, I couldn’t decide.
But having stayed with the Head Ranger of Pribaikalsky National Park for a few days and hearing the incidents she had dealt with over the years and the way in which they were dealt with, I think it was probably a bit of both.
The woman had been in two firefights with poachers and shot twice!:eek:
Her husband, Nicholas, was also the Head Lake Warden for his region of about 1000 squire kilometres of lake. He was a giant of a man and would be the last man on earth any sane person would pick an argument with over not obeying fishing laws. that’s for sure!:eek:

As to your home city, I have watched them fish on the Lake, which is next to Ismaloski (spelling?) market when I’ve stayed over in the city for a few days.
Whilst I did see them using groundbait, the quantities were about the same as any UK angler would use in a day fishing session on a same sized lake, about 1 Kg.
Also, I’ve watched them fishing on the canal at the bottom of Red Squire facing the statue of Peter the Great on the other bank.

When you say “traditional methods” as apposed to “sports methods,” I’m not sure I understand what you mean. As what you call sports methods are in the UK traditional methods.
So perhaps to help my and others understanding, could you describe what you mean by your traditional methods please?

Thanks Phil

artem21

Reaction score
As to your home city, I have watched them fish on the Lake, which is next to Ismaloski (spelling?) market when I’ve stayed over in the city for a few days.
I know this lake. It is located in Izmailovsky market, or Izmailovsky Park (original name is Измайловский парк).
When you say “traditional methods” as apposed to “sports methods,” I’m not sure I understand what you mean. As what you call sports methods are in the UK traditional methods.
So perhaps to help my and others understanding, could you describe what you mean by your traditional methods please?
Phil, of course i can. All what i called a sports methods, are coming to our country from overseas. Traditional "russian" methods are not so effective and realy coarse.
I think, when you were in Irkutsk, you saw some of them. Short, heavy rods with a kind of centrepin reels on it (looks like centrepin, but it is not), that reels in the common are called "Nevskaya reel". Rig is simple: at the end of mainline is attached big weight (or feeder cage) and above - two or three hooks on hooklenth. Bite indication registered with a help of little bell, that attaches to mainline near rod tip. This tackle is called "Donka". Next one called "Kivok" or "Bokovoy kivok"(in english it will be "nod" or "lateral nod" and another name is "summer jig") - it is a long whip with very fast action, at the tip of which attached a "nod" - very sensitive long strip of plastic. Mainline (there is no hooklength) attached to the tip of that strip, length of mainline based on depth, on which you want fishing. On the end of main line attached a hook, and above one shot. Sorry, it is hard for me to describe how it looks. Maybe video would help me.

Боковой кивок. Глухая оснастка. - YouTube - that is the "nod". At 09:16 you can see the rig.

And one of the "Donka" varieties. You can see reels on 01:30, cage on 03:20 and bell on 04:00 [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6HpnZjwy8w&feature=player_detailpage]РЫБАЧЬТЕ С НАМИ. Ока.Ловля на донку - YouTube[/ame]

This is couple of the traditional russian methods.

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
Welcome Artem, your English as noted above is gooder than most:confused:

B

binka

welcome-signboard-smiley-emoticon_zps1bd97fdd.gif

3D_emoticon_71_zps0cbf43ca.gif