swimming bread ?

C

Clive Evans

Reading the thread on 'Des'&'the edge'I was amused by the way the topic wandered off into other things (like Zilo and H.Potter Magicbaits etc).But ''Japanese swimming bread'' prompted me into wondering just how many of you out there have come across/used ''The Wrap'' which over the last 10 years has turned out to be my most prolific fish catcher. Mostly carp I admit ,but I am now completely unsurprised when a roach,rudd,tench, bream or even chub or barbel have taken the bait.
I have never seen it referred to in the angling mags or papers that I read apart from an item in AT when Matt Hayes was incorrectly shown it By Billy Makin. What is it? Just a line direct to the hook and a Slice of bread that is rolled and wrapped in the line and chucked out to swim around under the influence of wind or current.
I had assumed that it was well-known, but who knows!

R

Rodney Wrestt

Hi Clive,
if you are talking about the rig I think you are then the rig you described is more commonly known as the "cigar rig" with the slice of bread rolled around the line to resemble the afore mentioned cigar.

C

Clive Evans

Hi Rodney,
Thanks for the reply. I guess then it is more common than it seemed to be. I'm just surprised that such a prolific fish catcher doesn't get more attention, considering the way we anglers are allways chasing the ''magic bait' .Perhaps it's just that bread isn't sexy!

R

Rodney Wrestt

I think that's it exactly, If it doesn't cost a lot it can't be that good. Although I was going to say that sweetcorn was making a bit of a revival amongst younger anglers, then I remembered that ordinary corn from a tin isn't that good anymore they want artificial stuff that costs about the same as 3 or 4 tins for 3 of 4 grains of rubber. Now if they bring out artificial bread.....