whip/pole

Reaction score
I have made the decision that when I am fit enough to go fishing, that I am going to give the whip a try and then the pole. Might make my return to the waters edge a bit sooner has anyone got any tips please, i.e.size of whip ,floats and such never used one before so any help gratefully recieved

Keith M

Reaction score
I used to use whips when I used to fish hard winter matches on a 'gudgeon alley' canal, or I used to pack one incase I found a piece of water on holiday as it doesn't take much room in the boot.

I would buy a good 7 metre semi telescopic whip with the first two sections having put over joints which you can also use at shorter lengths and add the extra lengths if you hook a larger fish. I used to use quite small canal greys and similar smallwagglers with 1.5lb to 2lb lines/hooklengths and use pinkies on the hook. Although whips are usually used for silvers it is surprising what you can land in an emergency if you can add a couple of sections.Youcast either overhand, sideways or underarm with the whip and have the line length so that the fish can be swung in to hand.

These days you can get short carp poles which in my view are wronglynamed 'Carp whips' because true whipshave never had elasticated tip sections.

Im no expert but thats the way I used to tackle up with one. tight lines.

Iain Riley

Reaction score
just at the end of last season i brought a 6m thing ,i say thing cause as a dyed in the wool carp fisherman i dom't know if it's classed as a whip or a pole.

Ether way i haven't had the balls to bring it out yet watched a cupple of vids read a few books and just got a copy of pole fishing the complete guide so it's coming with me first day of the new season so instead of two or three carp rods i,m down to one rod and the thing so i can consentrait on what i'm doing with the thing my carp buddies are all takeing the p but i'm not one for sleeping the day away so some margin sport was what i was thinking so question A is it a pole or a whip and B any advise would be welcome as to me it's like a stick with a hook on the end.

Give me a river chub a rod or a pool and some carp and i'm at home but this thing or at least the winding up i've taken for bying it has got me quite spooked/forum/smilies/embarassed_smiley.gifany help would be welcomed.

Iain

Reaction score
Iain read the article by Peter Jacobs on Short whip fishing in the beginners articles, very informative and has given me the final push to try this method of fishing.

Lark

Reaction score
Brian - Check out Trev's Tackle. I get regular offers e mailed to me. I seem to remember getting one the other daythat had whips at really bluddi silly prices.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Iain,

This 6m thing you've bought; we might be able to help if you tell us more about it. The make and model for a start. If it's got a hollow tip and is fairly stiff then it may be a either a margin pole and needs elastic, a cheap standard pole - also needs elasticating or a whip which usually (not always) has a solid tip and is much more 'whippy'. Don't be afraid to use it, keep it simple and you'll soon be having fun with it.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Iain,

Simple really, if it has a hollow tip it is more than likely to be a 'pole' and needs elasticting.

If it has a solid carbon tip then its a whip and I wouldn't recommend using it for margin fishing for stockie Carp.