Where to go now

andrew_metcalf

Reaction score
Hi My name is Andy from South / North Yorkshire, i have a lake in my garden that I think is about an acre, ( it used to be a commercial fishing lake with about 40 pegs). It has not been fished for at least 14 years but from a friend I know it is well stocked with silver fish.

Now I have semi retired I was thinking about maybe running a competition here once a month and would welcome any advice on rules, prizes, number etc.

Regards

Andy

sam vimes

Reaction score
Hi My name is Andy from South / North Yorkshire, i have a lake in my garden that I think is about an acre, ( it used to be a commercial fishing lake with about 40 pegs). It has not been fished for at least 14 years but from a friend I know it is well stocked with silver fish.

Sounds like a place I used to know of in Leeming village.

Now I have semi retired I was thinking about maybe running a competition here once a month and would welcome any advice on rules, prizes, number etc.

Good rules are generally implemented for the welfare of the fish. Things such as barbless hooks only, bans on certain baits, bait limits and restrictions on the use of certain methods. I suspect that bait limits may be a fairly sensible precaution on such a small lake.

Match prizes usually come down to pools money, which will depend on how many are fishing. Something along the lines of 50-35-15% (60-40% for first and second if the match is small) splits of the available prize funds.

Numbers will depend on what you can be bothered with and what you can attract. If your 40 pegs are fairly tightly packed, you might want to look at leaving out every other peg. Ultimately, the numbers you can attract will depend on how good the fishing is and what's on offer in prize money. Chicken and egg stuff, unfortunately.

andrew_metcalf

Reaction score
Thanks
The wooden pegs themselves are no longer around the out edge of the lake, in fact I don't know if there was ever any actual wooden pegs installed. We are located on the A19 exactly half way between Doncaster and Sheffield.

I was think about offering a couple of people a frees days fishing in exchange for me grilling them for information, what do you think.

Regards

Andy

sam vimes

Reaction score
I was think about offering a couple of people a frees days fishing in exchange for me grilling them for information, what do you think.

I suspect that it might be a good idea. It'll help you guage the stock and how it'll respond if there are a few anglers fishing at the same time. Besides, you are in Yorkshire, I'm sure a freebie will go down well enough!;) You should also be able to find plenty of willing volunteers due to your location.

andrew_metcalf

Reaction score
Hi all and thank you for the welcome.

Let me know if you are local and fancy being grilled about match fishing.

Cheers

Andy

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
Might be an idea to have a couple of free matches to encourage people to have a go there and you will then get a better idea of what is in there.

Would also suggest contacting the Environment Agency to ask for some advice, especially with regards to stocking; anglers will give their opinion but may not be best for you and your lake.

Good luck, a well established and un-fished lake sounds like every anglers dream.

Reaction score
Andrew

1. Will you be serving FREE biscuits? If so, what type - no cheap stuff please.
2. What pies will you be serving? Make sure they are a quality, home made pie with a substantial amount of quality meat in them.
3. You will need to set up a good tackle shop next to your fishery - perhaps selling small items such as hooks, line, floats, feeders, weights, shot, disgorgers, bank sticks, catapults, bait, groundbait, bread punch, pole elastic, baseball caps, polaroids, bobble hats, flip flops, blow up dingies, arm bands, speedos, remote control speed boats, life jackets, wet suits, etc.
4. You will need a good business plan so things don't get out of hand.
5. Consider getting an otter hound.
6. Stock it with barbel.
7. Enforce the 'no beards' rule. Otherwise it will look like a bunch of garden gnomes in your garden.