Would you fish a river more if it was a bit like a commercial?

stillwater blue

Reaction score
The beauty of a river is the wild surrounds and wild fish coupled with the unknown, the lack of anglers also helps. So no a river like a commerical seems a horribly twisted idea

frothy

Reaction score
This has to be a joke right? That's like asking would my misses get more lovin if she looked more like Susan Boyle

redfin123

Reaction score
A commercial river?? or commercial puddle, your welcome to em. I dont hate them I just dont like that style of fishing:eek:mg::eek::eek:

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Commercial river fisheries have been here for years.
Rivers have been exploited for their salmon fishing for hundreds of years, with their platforms and pools formed by dumping many thousands of tons of rock to alter courses and form pools they are definitely manufactured fisheries. There are also miles of lowland chalk streams which have had every stick along their length which might snag a fly pruned to within an inch of it's life and every blade of grass is manicured to make comfortable paths for their well heeled patrons.
When it comes to coarse fishing miles and miles of river used to be pegged out for matches every weekend and often midweek, they could hardly be called wild with the steps and platforms cut into the bank.
Nowadays plenty of people fish queue up to fish the Royalty, primarily for it's barbel, which is as close to a commercial as any stretch of river I've ever fished. And they pay good money to do so.
I'm sure this question was initially posed tongue in cheek but some questions are far deeper than they seem.

Terry D

Reaction score
It'd be really great to have somewhere safe at last to park the car!!!

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What a horrendous thought turn a wild and wonderful enviroment into something to suit the angler instead of the creatures that live there:eek:

chav professor

Reaction score
Plenty of river stretches are run on a commercial basis....... Some managed river stretches are seeded with stocks of non-indigenous species... e.g. Barbel, Chub, carp and grayling... presumably this is offering 'what anglers want' - which is the commercial mantra.

The EA has tightened up on licensing, a local club looked into stocking barbel - thankfully this was declined. I like barbel, but am more than happy to catch the very occasional Barbel from other rivers.

Rivers normally offer a bit of every thing.... a few carpark swims, a platform or two... and expanses of less managed sections.

I like the unknown quantity side of fishing rivers.... even well established commercial lakes are throwing up the odd surprise.

But a river stuffed full of F1's and pasties? No thank-you......