Would you fish a canal more if it was a bit like a canal from the 19th Century?

jasonbean1

Reaction score
take away the horses and there's little difference other than more boats and more sh*tting

B

binka

barge dwellers sh1tting in the water

Not that much has changed, I often fish a stretch of river where my sister moors her narrowboat and it's not uncommon to see something bobbing down from the "bucket and chuckit" brigade... saves the tight fisted gits from paying for a pump out or having to find an Elsan to empty their cassettes.

I think it would be very interesting to fish the canals back then, great for a bit of historic boat spotting although I think many would have been too polluted to support much fish life maybe?

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The canals I fished as a boy in the east end of london would have been unfisherble in there hayday it would have been like the M25 It was bad enough in the fifties. there was still a lot of furniture manufacturing going on then and a lot of the timber came from the london docks on the barges. I once fished out a horses bit as a kid.

terry m

Reaction score
Only if I fancied a dose of the plague or scooping up human faeces in my landing net!

I wonder if you could gaff a floater and remove without it breaking up?

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
More polluted then i suspect. All that coal being transported and occasionally getting spilled in, never mind other chemicals or products.

The lack of road noise or airplanes etc would be interesting.