And now for something completely different!

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Right, enough about commies, centrepins and Angling being given the death knoll!
What are your plans for the new season?
More river fishing?
Giving a new method a try?
A new bait perhaps?
What are your targets? are you going to try an beat your PBs or are you content just to carry on catching what ever comes along?

Answers on a post card please,
Oh and please don't mention centrepins with star drags, dragon carp, Matt Hayes, Dobson Green or anything else that might send this thread off the rails. Thankyou ;)

Last edited:

guest61

Reaction score
Here and now my targets are..

To get the most out of my sessions: - I quite often find myself not planning trips as well as I might which has manifest itself as not having the right tackle or baits with me to fish as I want in prevailing conditions. In the past I have taken the eveything and not used a lot of it, with a little thought I can improve this.

Travel further: - Seek out some new stretches of river and I've never fished the Trent and after reading the 'I hate the Trent' thread I quite fancy giving this a go.

Improve my knowledge of the countryside: - whilst I enjoy wildlife, my knowledge of for instance bird species is pathetic and I'd like to improve this.

Other than this there's always something new in angling and I don't know what it is yet - part of the enjoyment.

barbelboi

Reaction score
With Spring around the corner I’ll be thinking about tench, crucians, ferals and roach/rudd from the farm ponds and estate lake, tench/carp from some of the pits and daytime barbel from weir pools if some hot weather sets in. A bit of stream stalking but not back on the rivers in earnest until late September/early October then pretty much staying there ‘til March.
Jerry

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
For the next 3 months for me will be nothing but Trout fishing on the fly; both on Lakes and the Rivers when available like the Itchen, the Test and the Wylye.

I hope to also have a crack at some of those huge Browns and Rainbows over at Avington too as I can't let Neil have all the fun . . . . . . .

So, no coarse fishing for me until June 16th, although I might attend just one charity match in April this year, but as yet still undecided on that.

PS: almost forgot that I also have to try out my new Abel reel as I managed to lay my hands on one of the unused ones with the Brown Trout Graphics at the weekend, which some unkind house guests referred to as; "the Christmas tree lights" reel . . . . . . . . . . blooming bounders!

Last edited:

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Improve my knowledge of the countryside: - whilst I enjoy wildlife, my knowledge of for instance bird species is pathetic and I'd like to improve this.

Get yourself a few books mate!
I have a vast collection of natural history books but there is always another to buy...Bit like fishing tackle really :D
If you want a really good bird guide then there is only one you need ever buy, The Collins Guide to Birds of Britain and Europe! I have loads of bird books but trust me this really is up there with the best. The RRP is around £30 but Amazon do it for about £20 (last time I looked) it really is well worth the cost and you will never have to buy another bird book! :)

guest61

Reaction score
Get yourself a few books mate!
I have a vast collection of natural history books but there is always another to buy...Bit like fishing tackle really :D
If you want a really good bird guide then there is only one you need ever buy, The Collins Guide to Birds of Britain and Europe! I have loads of bird books but trust me this really is up there with the best. The RRP is around £30 but Amazon do it for about £20 (last time I looked) it really is well worth the cost and you will never have to buy another bird book! :)

I got a book for Christmas, I also got some Binoculars. Although I fear that these may be used more to examine the rear ends of some of the lady joggers who frequent the canal banks in the spring. ;)

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I got a book for Christmas, I also got some Binoculars. Although I fear that these may be used more to examine the rear ends of some of the lady joggers who frequent the canal banks in the spring. ;)

thought that it was only me that did that sort of thing :)

cg74

Reaction score
I've never fished the Trent and after reading the 'I hate the Trent' thread I quite fancy giving this a go.

Snap... Though I've never really fancied fishing the Tidal Trent before, I can't help but feel that I'm missing something, so even if I only go once, at least my curiosity might be fulfilled.

As for my knowledge of our countryside, like you, my knowledge of (feathered) birds is at best pretty rudimentary. As these days I seem to be spending an increasing amount of time looking at my surroundings and am far less focused on 'I must catch, catch, CATCH!'
It needs improving.

Last edited:

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I hope to also have a crack at some of those huge Browns and Rainbows over at Avington too as I can't let Neil have all the fun . . . . . . .

PS: almost forgot that I also have to try out my new Abel reel as I managed to lay my hands on one of the unused ones with the Brown Trout Graphics at the weekend, which some unkind house guests referred to as; "the Christmas tree lights" reel . . . . . . . . . . blooming bounders!

Let the clocks gain us the extra hour of light, pick the right day for conditions and let's be having them Peter!

IMG_6653.jpg

As for the Abel, it was just pure jealousy :)

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I joined a new club this season and one of their lakes has had cats of over 85lb caught from it, they will most probably break the ton this year after munching the carp in there.

Another club has some good perch, I only managed one session after them this season and there has been a perch explosion, thousands in the three four inch size. I may have a go livebaiting with small perch as bait as mummy and daddy perch would have been gorging themselves on their offspring for a good while now. Ooooo I can't wait.

XIII13

Reaction score
I'm thinking of taking a bit more of a structured approach this year as I'd like to improve on two specific PBs.

I've never caught a 20lb+ Carp (although have had a few 18s & 19s) and I've never had a double figure Barbel.

It will of course be essential to invest in one or two items of new tackle to achieve these objectives ;-)

STEVE