The biggest!

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well, who has got the biggest online tackle shop?
If you look around the Internet, apparently they all have :eek:mg:
Why are these dealers allowed to get away with such bullsh!t? Surly there can only be one?

Rant over :)

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Its a bit like the soap adverts where they say 'washes whiter' whiter than what?

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Depends how the measure 'biggest'

Stock
Range of tackle
Turnover
Square ft
No employees
Profit
Value
Data on website
Etc

They might all be big

I get what you mean Matt but surly they can't all be the biggest in UK, can they?

Titus,

It's like when that nutter from Bolton says you get 50% off his safe style windows, 50% off what?

guest61

Reaction score
Clearly a lot of these on-line shops are little more than a unit on a retail park with a phone line and internet connection, they take your order and then phone their supplier for delivery, they can keep costs low through not holding little actual stock in store. Recently I've been ringing around for a specific rod and the amount of out of date listings on websites or poorly maintained stock lists is laughable.

In my own situation I'm better off with a local shop (I have a decent one) and offer them the business - this or the S/H market where the tackle tarts have divested last years little used model.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I was talking to one off my frieds who is a tackle shop owner and he does more business online than he does in his shop a lot of the time he is just turning over money at the end of the day but he is employing six people and making a living. as long as you can get what you want at the right price it is not a problem for the angler it is the tackle dealer who is getting squeezed.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It is funny how they all claim the same thing Mark....

....but my choice would be...............Climax....without a doubt.

Maverick

I would not give climax my time of day anymore, not after they left me stood waiting for some one to help me while they stood drinking tea at the counter and yacking!!!

Rubbish service of the very best quality.

They lost a sale of about £250 quid that day...serves them right!

---------- Post added at 09:56 ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 ----------

Clearly a lot of these on-line shops are little more than a unit on a retail park with a phone line and internet connection, they take your order and then phone their supplier for delivery, they can keep costs low through not holding little actual stock in store. Recently I've been ringing around for a specific rod and the amount of out of date listings on websites or poorly maintained stock lists is laughable.

In my own situation I'm better off with a local shop (I have a decent one) and offer them the business - this or the S/H market where the tackle tarts have divested last years little used model.

I like fosters of Birmingham but their website needs updating badly!
I order stuff and get a phone call 60% of the time advising me they have no stock. Surly a big ( the biggest, allegedly :)) business like theirs should be able to get a decent website built?

guest61

Reaction score
I like fosters of Birmingham but their website needs updating badly!
I order stuff and get a phone call 60% of the time advising me they have no stock. Surly a big ( the biggest, allegedly :)) business like theirs should be able to get a decent website built?

The problem being is that it costs money to do this. Someone who is computer capable, knows the business and has time to do the updates. Few businesses have this resource available. One would imagine that a company who had based their business on internet sales would be tight on this.

A few years ago I was a Director of a food manufacturing company, we spent £20k on a professional website, it looked great for a few months and then with personnel changes, new products and the general dynamics of running a business it started to look jaded - not reflecting the current buisness. It became a regular discussion point of whether to spend money updating it regularly versus the amount of 'traffic' it received. In the end the business sold and I ceased to care..:w

sam vimes

Reaction score
Which websites are you talking about? One way or another, I can only find Fosters claiming to be "The largest fishing store in the country".
I understand that their shop is pretty big but they could be the aforementioned "unit on a retail park with a phone line and internet connection" for all I would know as I've never been inclined to visit, even when passing (very rare). I have had the pleasure of visiting ReelDealtackle that traded on ebay a year or two ago before they went bust. They were a few miles from home and were just a little unit on a small local industrial estate.

Of those I have visited, Climax, Stapeley (before their recent move), Chapmans, Hinders (not particularly big now in comparison to others, but seemed huge way back) and Bobco are amongst the biggest I've seen. I've been in another that could compete on floor space but not stock.

As for opinions on inividual shops, I have my own ideas and experiences that I try to keep to myself (in public, at least). I've had bad experiences with places that are universally praised. I've had great experiences with places that are often pilloried. I've even had both good and bad experiences with a couple of places. Everything depends on a dollop of luck in who you happen to talk to when things go wrong.

maverick 7

Reaction score
Mark Brailsford said:
I would not give climax my time of day anymore, not after they left me stood waiting for some one to help me while they stood drinking tea at the counter and yacking!!!

They lost a sale of about £250 quid that day...serves them right

End Quote

Hi Mark....I didn't say they were good.....I said they were the biggest;)

BTW...still not quite got the hang of the quotes yet.

Maverick

Last edited:

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Mark Brailsford said:

They lost a sale of about £250 quid that day...serves them right

End Quote

Hi Mark....I didn't say they were good.....I said they were the biggest;)

BTW...still not quite got the hang of the quotes yet.

Maverick

Just click quote and the post you want to quote will come on the box underneath just write what you want under that quote and click send. Simples! :)