Hi from Berlin, Germany

plaadug

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I go by the name plaadug which is the Thai name for most species of Walking Catfish (Clarias batrachus). I am from Berlin, Germany and used to be a passionate angler in my youth. During my years of studying in Germany I hadn't that much time for fishing. Moreover Germany has a quite different angling tradition than Britain and angling over here is closely associated with the lower strata of society or commoly regarded a working class pastime surrounded by an aura of "torturing animals". I spent most of the last two years in a small village in Thailand bordering Cambodia conducting anthropological fieldwork for my PhD thesis. Here I had the chance to rediscover my passion for angling, since I went out fishing nearly everyday with my elder "brothers" contributing to my family's daily diet. After my return to Germany I finally mastered the bureaucratic hurdles of acquiring a fishing license for Berlin. I am especially interested in coarse fishing, vintage tackle and angling methods, angling books, float making, split cane rods and centerpin reels. Also I hope to have discussions about fishing experiences in Southeast Asia.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have a family that live in Germany just what do you have to do to obtain a fishing licence in Germany and what does it cost. Welcome to the forum.

plaadug

Reaction score
I have a family that live in Germany just what do you have to do to obtain a fishing licence in Germany and what does it cost. Welcome to the forum.

Since Germany is federally organized every state has its own regulations. In Berlin you need to take a course and pass a written exam. Then you need to apply for a fishing license and pay an annual fee. With this license you are allowed to buy angling cards for the chosen fishery. Prices vary to a considerably degree. Berlin is a great town for angling - keep in mind that we have more bridges than Venice - but we also have some 40.000 license owners.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Since Germany is federally organized every state has its own regulations. In Berlin you need to take a course and pass a written exam. Then you need to apply for a fishing license and pay an annual fee. With this license you are allowed to buy angling cards for the chosen fishery. Prices vary to a considerably degree. Berlin is a great town for angling - keep in mind that we have more bridges than Venice - but we also have some 40.000 license owners.

I have a nephew studying medicine who lives in Berlin and my btother lives in Hiedleberg they both fish but say it is to much mucking about when you are busy how long does it actually take to sort out and what is the cost in Berlin.

plaadug

Reaction score
I have a nephew studying medicine who lives in Berlin and my btother lives in Hiedleberg they both fish but say it is to much mucking about when you are busy how long does it actually take to sort out and what is the cost in Berlin.

It is exactly this "mucking about" of the German bureaucracy that took me nearly 20 years before I was finally able to fish again in my hometown. Actually it took me nearly two years. Since you need to take these stupid fishing classes and only two institutions are allowed to offer these classes it takes ages to get a free space. They offer these classes 4 times a year and they take 6 weeks - every weekend. The main aspect of these classes are environmental issues and avoiding cruelty to animals. Minor aspects are biology, water ecology and ichthyology as well as angling gear and methods. The seminar and written exam are around 200 €. Then you need to pay 55 € once for the licence and 12 € every year plus the respective fishery. I fish the inner city Spree which is a coarse fisherman's paradise holding huge populations of quality sized bream and roach.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It is exactly this "mucking about" of the German bureaucracy that took me nearly 20 years before I was finally able to fish again in my hometown. Actually it took me nearly two years. Since you need to take these stupid fishing classes and only two institutions are allowed to offer these classes it takes ages to get a free space. They offer these classes 4 times a year and they take 6 weeks - every weekend. The main aspect of these classes are environmental issues and avoiding cruelty to animals. Minor aspects are biology, water ecology and ichthyology as well as angling gear and methods. The seminar and written exam are around 200 €. Then you need to pay 55 € once for the licence and 12 € every year plus the respective fishery. I fish the inner city Spree which is a coarse fisherman's paradise holding huge populations of quality sized bream and roach.

If they bought that kind of legislation in over here the tackle trade would crash . No wonder my brother and his son only fish when they are not in germany they said it was a lot of hassel but then again you only get anglers who's hearts are realy in it.

plaadug

Reaction score
If they bought that kind of legislation in over here the tackle trade would crash . No wonder my brother and his son only fish when they are not in germany they said it was a lot of hassel but then again you only get anglers who's hearts are realy in it.

There are some other good things about it. Our waters, even here in Berlin, are rarely crowded with anglers, our rivers and lakes are packed with quality sized fish, so that there is no need for commercial fisheries. The only ones we have are trout breading lakes.

On the other side angling is still regarded something of a social stigma - especially in the younger urban generations. I always have to justify myself for the "cruelty I inflict on animals" to gain pleasure. As I said, we have a different angling tradition/culture over here.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There are some other good things about it. Our waters, even here in Berlin, are rarely crowded with anglers, our rivers and lakes are packed with quality sized fish, so that there is no need for commercial fisheries. The only ones we have are trout breading lakes.

On the other side angling is still regarded something of a social stigma - especially in the younger urban generations. I always have to justify myself for the "cruelty I inflict on animals" to gain pleasure. As I said, we have a different angling tradition/culture over here.

I have spoken with other anglers who served as soldiers in Germany before the Greens bought this legislation in and they said angling was very very popular in those days and match fishing was a big thing in germany they had there own intrnational team in those days I am told these days the match anglers go to Holland for there match fishing.

plaadug

Reaction score
I have spoken with other anglers who served as soldiers in Germany before the Greens bought this legislation in and they said angling was very very popular in those days and match fishing was a big thing in germany they had there own intrnational team in those days I am told these days the match anglers go to Holland for there match fishing.

Yes, angling used to be quite popular and I can remember well how my uncle took me angling as a kid. There are without a doubt still many anglers in Germany, but as far as I can judge from the internet, books, publications, fishing gear companies etc. this is only marginal when compared to England, where angling seems to be a national sport. Same is true for hunting. You rarely find a hunter in Germany, who isn't a professional.
I don't think it has to do with the Greens and the laws they pass. The popularity of the Greens more than that reflects the general importance German popular culture attaches to ecological issues. As I said ecological issues represent the core of the fishing classes.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes, angling used to be quite popular and I can remember well how my uncle took me angling as a kid. There are without a doubt still many anglers in Germany, but as far as I can judge from the internet, books, publications, fishing gear companies etc. this is only marginal when compared to England, where angling seems to be a national sport. Same is true for hunting. You rarely find a hunter in Germany, who isn't a professional.
I don't think it has to do with the Greens and the laws they pass. The popularity of the Greens more than that reflects the general importance German popular culture attaches to ecological issues. As I said ecological issues represent the core of the fishing classes.

If that is the case it is a good thing and would be handy if more anglers took a interest in that side of thing in the uk some want to take all and not give the enviroment a chance to recover let alone give it a helping hand but we manage with the mix we have more youngster s seem to be getting into the enviromental side of it and that is a very good thing it is called fishery managment over hear and we have a recognised institute of fishery maagment which is very active along with the growing Angling Trust .

laguna

Reaction score
I was stationed in Berlin 1978-1980 (when the wall still stood) and had some fantastic days fishing at the weekends and off duty evenings!

We fished the Harvel in Spandau and the big Grunewald lake.
It was very much different back then, in fact I don't even remember buying a licence? :eek:

Good times...

Welcome to FM

tesco value

Reaction score
Hi plaadug. Berlin is an amazing city, I'd love to get back soon. I look forward to reading about your experiences fishing there.

grey heron

Reaction score
Are foreign visitors allowed to coarse fish in Germany without going through the lengthy licensing procedure?