Century Big Bertha C Spod Rod

John Wood 2

Reaction score
I've just picked up a second hand Century Big Bertha C spod rod for £40.

Can anyone tell me if this is a good rod and If I got a good deal. The eyes look quite old fashioned - grey ceramic inserts. Having said that everything including the whippings are in great condition.

F

Frothey

they aregreat rods - the grey ceramic inserts are the standard fuji's (as opposed to SiC's - my Bruce Ashby is the same)

the only downside is unless you are using a big spod, they can be difficult to compress, though thinking back it was the "DD" that was the heavy duty one.

for £40 though, its a good buy

Reaction score
Although the DD size was the 'mutha' of all spod rods, you will still find it difficult to compress the C with anything less than six ounces. Mind you, it will put one that size a long, long way!

Good rod, tough as old boots and will last a lifetime (mine's about seven years old and still going strong!)./forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

trevfish61

Reaction score
Hi, I realise this is an old thread but I was led to beleive that the new NG spod was designed around the Big Bertha C model which can cast 6- 8oz a long long way,which is not all that much really,the Big Bertha DD model cant cast a 12oz/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif spod a long way also. I think the DD was used as a shark rod and holds some sort of world record but not sure on that one. Like has been said £40 absolute bargain, and by now I bet you wouldnt want to use anything else. I recently picked up a DD model and what a beast,like has been said it really does take some compressing, but a great big cat rod