Beginners fly fishing questions.

Robin Smith 2

Reaction score
Hi there. My name is Robin and I live in Staffordshire/ Shropsire area, and up until recently my prime fishing methodshave been coarse.

I've just bought a holiday home in Somerset and after looking at the rivers over Exmoor, it is clear that they hold Trout. Big, small, Rainbow and Brown. What would be the best method of catching these? Some locals have been using bread successfully for the Rainbows, but the Brownies are supposedly rather elusive.

I also live fairly near the rivers Severn and Teme back home. What is the Trout fishing like in these? I could access the Severn between Ironbridge and Worcester.

What tackle setup would you suggest that could handle both of these waters, and what fly patterns would work?

Many thanks, Rob

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
Robin

I'd suggest you get yourself a cheap set up initially. Many will tell you otherwise, but why lash out hundreds of pounds?, you might not get the fly fishing bug. I myself bought a cheap kit for 30 quid which was fine for 2 years, then upgraded when it became my passion.

I suggest a 5 weight rod, cheap as chips reel, and a 6 weight floating line. As for fly patterns, you won't go far wrong with somegoldhead nymphs, and some spiders for when the fish are feeding near/ on the surface.

Don't worry too much about casting, you rarely need to go far on a river.

I think the Severn where you mention is mainly coarse water. If you head intoWales, you will have more fly fishing opportunities

Robin Smith 2

Reaction score
Thanks for the link and the information. A lot of the sets I've seen look ok for the money. I've give one a go. Thanks, Robin