P

pons

Fair dinkum ,Martin,great result !!
Well done indeed my honourable friend .
I give way.
Pons

The Monk

Reaction score
a big well done Martin, an excellnt result and well deserved mate/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Lee Swords

Reaction score
Martin did you claim for your baits as an expence?

Or were they provided free as a perk...Will you have to declare them?

Was your bivvy noted down as a second home?

Did you claim for your meals?

or did you claim for a new "alfreso kitchen" from CCC's?

Did you employ any members of your family to tie rigs and land fish during the trip?

Did the fish meet all current EU guildlines on rights to work and such likes?

apart from that I hope you had a good time....I wanted to go fishing last week " darn sarf"...Couldn't afford the petrol!

But then again...I have to pay my own way in life...Unlike our Right honourable leaders.

Grumpy Git @

Reaction score
Oooh Lee !!

Bitter? I think we all are at the moment, what with increasing fuel and food costs, higher council taxes, hidden stealth taxes that are added to on a daily basis. I personally hold Gordon to be responsible and the devil personified.

I agree that a minority of MP's are so far removed from the 'real world' purely because of the perks that they are claiming. Unfortunately this minority are generally members of the mealy mouthed, chinless, Oxbridge fraternity who manage to 'fall' out of university into prominent jobs within our government.

I dont know enough about Martin Salter to make comment on his attrubutes as part of this minority group but would guess that he is as far removed from them as Gordon is from Mother Theresa. The fact that he is actually spending some of his time trying to help the angling scene, along with his other duties as an MP, should be applauded.

A few days away from the House, fishing with friends during a recess should give him back the energy to renew his fight within the House. Catching these wonderful fish is just a glorious bonus.

As I trudge off to another boring day, trying to earn a living, am I jealous?

Of course.

Reaction score
FOOD COSTS!

£1.86 FOR A SLICED HOVIS in our local supermarket!

What happened there? The cost ofa loaf has gradually crept up over the last year then, BAM! It's just rocketed. A disgrace.

I didn't go on holiday over the school hols , we had to save up for food.

Lee Swords

Reaction score
I am a chef....I am not getting the custom that I require...People are skint....Lots of my freinds are chefs...their restaurants are quiet as well.

Last week it was £12 for a 5kg sack of Easy cook rice

this week £30 +

That aside

My bait cost for a typical trip areabout £25.00

Fuel will equal that!

Add to the eqation all the other little taxes that take a few pennies out of my pound and lo and beholdbecause of that the average working man is slipping slowly into the vice like grip of a depression....Because this government have seen fit to bugger the country without even having the decency or good manners to apply a handfull of warm lard to its back-end just so that they can follow their misguided dreams.

So forgive my nastiness and venom but I too would love to have a little fishing break with my buddies but I am too busy at the moment trying to earn enough moneyto ensure that you and all your ilk ( Lab,Con, Lib,) can cream enough of my tax bill to ensure you never have to worry about the little things in life like the television bill, the phone bill, the Mortgage, A good standard of pension or simply enjoying a good meal out with freinds.

To a poltitian all these things are expenses that can be written off....But not to me.

I HAVE TO PAY MY OWN WAY!

All the way

All the time

So stick your carp trip up your backend Martin and tell that fat dour Scottish pig of a man his job aint safe...JUST LIKE MINE!

S

Sean Meeghan

And all this from a man who openlyadmits to being an immigrant!

/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

G

Geoff Cowen

Lee has taken the word out of my mouth; it's a shame we will have to wait two more years to get rid of the incompetent Ba***rds. Well said!!!!

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Lee this is on the General thread. The story is about an angler catching a lovely brace of fish. In this context his occupation is irrelevant.

I am no lover of this government andwe as a family areprobably as badly off as when we were first married and had just started a family.

However please keep the politics off this thread and respect what the guy has done as an angler.

Hope to make it to the Trent this time round and I'll stand you a drink, it's not personal but I reckon your comments here are out of order. Have a go about the bloke and his occupation or the government in bait box or on the bank with other anglers but not on the general thread.

Grumpy Git @

Reaction score
Richard, please excuse my rant ............

Having suffered terribly under the Thatcherite Fascist government with dear old Nigel Lawson giving us 15% interest rates and very nearly losing my house, I honestly think that a Labour goverment is the right way to go. They won't be getting my vote though.

Unfortunately, we have had to put up with the Stalinist New Labour party for too long. Tony (I understand the common man) Blair, another scot leading the English parliament, moved to dominate and dictate every part of our social system. With him and Gordon spinning their way through one election falsehood after another we are where we are today, civil liberties and freedom of choice a thing of the past. Taxation levels that Nigel would be proud of.

A major change is needed and perhaps like the French we should protest more vocally because we all need to have our voices heard to effect any change.

Rant over. Anyone else thinking of fish?

Lee Swords

Reaction score
Nope sorry...

MP's are fair game 100% of the time.

That is the path they choose.

In fact I would go so far as to say I don't know how he has got the brass neck to sit there smiling on his nicelittle break whilst the country goes down the pan...But its ok for Martin because when he is out of a job in 2 years he gets a gold plated pension and the full works...

Me?

Well I am just plain screwed.

He can go to hell as far as I am concerned

Grumpy Git @

Reaction score
Lee

I now understand your problem. Having to travel from the plannet Zoth in the Caradian Nebula must be costing you a fortune to go fishing /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

I just don't understand why you use so much rice for bait /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Lee Swords

Reaction score
/forum/smilies/surprised_smiley.gif)

I had to change my profile a bit

But anyways

The rice is for the 200-300 curries I do every Tuesday

on top of that

Fillet steak has gone up 75%

Bread is up

profits are down

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Lee, absolutely, 100% correct even if slightly cynical comments,I know of no industry in this world that can claim expenses just for living and doing their job. Some are paid great amounts of money but they don't get paid expenses for everything that doing the job involves including buying a house and decorating it, paying a secretary, employing a nanny, travel both to their constituency and to parliament, advertising their wares at election time, sending their kids to private schools, extra toilet paper etc. etc. I wouldn't mind betting some part of his trip is going to be put down as expenses but of course we will never know will we.

Slimy, wheedling, parasitic empty bags of wind the lot of them and one of them, Salter, just happens to catch two large carp, oh! yeah, are we supposed to bow down in homage?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Come on guys, don't you think we are being a little unfair here?

Martin has caught a terrifc brace of 50's, and I wonder how many of us can say we have been there and done that?

I think he deserves a little more consideration than he is being shown, especially when you recall that he is a fellow angler and has become a virtual 'lone voice' in the HoC on our behalf.

Heaven knows I dislike this current government as much, if not more than most, but let's give credit where credit is due eh?

Martin, well done on a fabulous brace of Carp, even from a French venue that is a damn fine piece of angling.