Exit Strategy

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I didn?t really want to get dragged into this debate as I dismissed Bob?s remarks in CF as no more than a petulant ?if you call me names I?ll call you even badder names? retaliation.

My first question to Kevin is: Don?t you think you may be attaching a little too much importance to the opinion of one man?

He?s an angler who is entitled to an opinion like the rest of us, but you seem to be attaching far more weight to what he has to say than to what anyone else has to say. Especially since I would guess the majority of us would disagree with much of his criticism of us. In fact, in many respects what he wrote isn?t true, or isn?t a complete truth. Anyway, for what it?s worth, here?s my view, and my view is backed by more experience than most of both print and internet angling writing. My view is not a one-sided, insular view.

Bob said it was the majority of forum posters who jump at every opportunity to knock angling print media. That is simply not true and needs no further comment.

The remark that websites are ?insular?, read only by those who are already converted, doesn?t make a lot of sense. Converted to what? The internet? Don?t the vast majority of young to late middle-aged people use the internet these days? Aren?t they the ones who have opened their world beyond the printed page to take in what the online world has to offer as well? How can that be ?insular?: inward looking, blinkered, narrow-minded? I would say just the opposite, that those who haven?t yet been ?converted? are the insular group.

?Leave an angling magazine on your desk at work and the chances are a non-angler will flick through it sooner or later. Colleagues tend to show an interest in what you get up to. Some are intrigued enough to give angling a go. That is something that internet sites can never replicate.? Bob wrote.

Again, the latter remark just isn?t true. Doesn?t the same thing apply to an angler?s computer screen in an office? Isn?t it more likely that a fishing website page will be seen on an office computer monitor and is at least equally as likely to attract the attention of a colleague? In an office environment, which is most likely to be on view, a magazine or a computer monitor?

??isn?t it strange that these posters, who are so keen to decry the print medium, are just gagging to be part of it??

?These posters?? Apart from Kevin, who else on this website is ?gagging to be part of? the angling print media. ?These? posters reads like it?s dozens who are gagging to write for the angling press. So who are they?

?Publishing on the internet is easy. It?s playing at it. Your peers will all slap you on the back and say, ?Well done!??

Tell that to all those who have had a polite email from me when their work was rejected. An email that also had a few words of advice and encouragement.

But let?s be fair, it is definitely easier to get published on the internet. But not because, as is the inference, that websites will publish crap. Not at all, it?s easier because websites don?t have any page restrictions and are quite happy to publish articles that will cater for a minority interest. The page cost of a website is negligible compared to the page cost of a magazine.

To say in one breath that anyone wishing to break into writing should contribute to the web, and then in the next breath say that angling website writing is ?playing at it? is both contradictory and offensive.

The website writer?s peers say ?well done!? because they want to offer encouragement and say thank you for the effort they?ve made. Time and effort that was given for no payment whatsoever. To find fault with that is beyond my comprehension.

captain carrott

Reaction score
on the other hand kevin, we don't have to pay out for a rag full of unwanted regurgitation on fising for blurble and crarp to be able to be entertained by your writings, when we log on here.

surely you should also get greater respect for repeatedly being congratulated on an open site, which has no points of view style censorship between you and the person who may write in to complain.

the reason that some ones peers slap them on the back on a website and congratulate them is that they like what they've read, if we didn't we would say so in a direct and constructive way.

maybe the people in the printed media don't like the fact that they get criticism of their articles when they are exposed to open review, without the editor to hide them from it.

john attfield

Reaction score
Hello Kevin, Going off the point here but if you need any help on the barbel front then by all means p.m. me as i`m a bailiff on a few ouse waters so might be able to steer you in the right direction, providing you dont mind returning the favour in the winter for the pike!

If you do try to start on the ouse all i can say is hope you are patient!!!

ATB, jon.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>captain carrott wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

maybe the people in the printed media don't like the fact that they get criticism of their articles when they are exposed to open review, without the editor to hide them from it.</blockquote>

Let's not make the mistake that some do and write as though we mean everyone in a group.

A fewprint media writers also write on websites, giving their time and effort freely on the web as well as getting paid for articles in print.

I think the whole point of this debate should be to demonstrate that both print and web media have their place and the divided viewsare only held by a minority.

Lee Swords

Reaction score
I too don't generally "fit in" the round hole Kevin...

Long may the square pegs live!

I can see what Bob was saying and agree with parts of his article.

BUT any prospective writer has to have the strength of character to build their own style of writing and stick to what they enjoy....Don't try to change what you are to fit in!

An icosagonalpeg will fit in a round hole...But it will look wrong, feel wrong and leak like a bitch when it rains.

stay true to what you are...because at the end of the day angling writing is an enjoyable hobby and not a profession for the vast majority of us...It don't put dinner on the table!

Dave Smith

Reaction score
I have absolutely no idea if there's any truth in this as I don't have any figures to back it up but.

I would guess that the ever growing popularity of the interweb and the availability of "free" information has had quite a negative effect on the circulation of paper publications.

If this is the case then I would expect those "Proper" paper authors would now have a reduced income? if so you can't blame them for being a little negative about the web.

I used to buy as many monthlies as possible and both weeklies, it was getting a little expensive so I cut back. actually that's not the whole truth yes my buying was becoming ridiculous but my angling also went through a transition, in that I decided to focus on predatory fish. so buying carp mags etc. was verging on pointless.

I think we need to be clear on publishing on the web, anyone can do it, it's cheap, and even the most talentless authors can type tat and get it on somewhere. but these websites aren't usually around for long or have very few hits.Websites with good content stick around,they can be the birthplace for budding authors that wouldn't ordinarily send in their work to the paper publishers, which has got to be a good thing?The Carp mags are more guilty of regurgitating old news, one of the reasons I stopped buying them, but you wont get away with that on the web, you've got to come up with something new or we type in www. into the task bar and we're off somewhere else.

Forums are a different matter,there's some top peoplecruising around but they also come with an amount of bullshitters and not-got-a-clues. there can be a vast amount of filtering needed.

There's a place for both paper and electronic information, I've got to say I attach sentimental value to themagazines I have in folders on top of the wardrobe (much to the good lady's disgust I have to say!),whereas I don't to electronic publications. If I pay for a mag I read it cover to cover, but I only read the bits that have relevance to my situation or I find interesting when browsing the web. long term I can see paper publications becoming fewer and fewer. It'll be a shame, but as we become more electronic they'll be fewer and fewer customers of throwaway mags. Maybe Bob needs to wake up and smell the coffee, times change people move on and unless writers look to use alternative media they just might go the way of the dinosaurs.

Dave Smith

www.nationalanguillaclub.co.uk

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Kevin

Personally I would welcome some humour based articles in fishing mags.

The how to, where to fish are the main bulk of angling printed topics, but surely the papers could spare a page or 2 to those who can right funny slants on a fishing theme.

Graham - well done for giving Kevin the freedom to write as he chooses and let us FM bods a laugh

Reaction score
Yep, I'd second that. Kevin offers an alternative look at anglers and our sometimes ridiculous antics, with a sense of humour that's totally missing from the printed press as far as I can see.

Keep em coming Kevin - I also am considering joining the dark side that is the BS /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

W

Wolfman Woody

Graham wrote: "In an office environment, which is most likely to be on view, a magazine or a computer monitor?"

If I put on my office manager/consultants hat on (not worn it for many years now) I'd say neither should be on view. If either is then there's something wrong with the office environment or the person's work that has caused them to divert his/her attention to such a distraction.

On the printed media - I will not be renewing my subscription to Coarse Fisherman, the only fishing magazine I take, this year. Frankly, I'm bored with them all. The only pages I read from CF in the last few months are Graham's and in one of those I knew what he was going to say because a lot of it was stuff I'd already written and sent to him (he wasn't entirely plaguerizing my stuff, we just happened to agree that most angling writers talk bollox about baits.)

So when I look at forking out another £40 (or whatever it is now) I think maybe there is something else that I can learn from for the same money. It isn't about fishing, that I can tell you.

If I want to read about fishing I DO WANT TO BE ENTERTAINED especially by writers like Kevin. I even wish DEANOS (that great doyen of the Yorkshire drainage cleaners and river anglers) would write some angling stories with all the wit and competence that he touches on in his little postings at times. They remind me very much of Colin Willock's mad yarns from the 60s and 70s, good stuff that is missing now.

Instead all we are offered is someone else telling how they caught this, and how they caught that. Just a minute, isn't that what I've been doing? Well, perhaps I don't like taking my own medicine, but it's my money and I'll decide how I spend it.

If the Internet sites, this one included, ever did pay "the experts" (or "consultants" as the tackle companies that sponsor them call them) then I fear we would just get pages of the same old, same old, over and over and over again. It's not a bad game for them though, free tackle at the one end and getting paid for recommending it at the other.

PS: I was once in the BS and I decided that the only course for me was out.

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Graham Marsden wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>My first question to Kevin is: Don’t you think you may be attaching a little too much importance to the opinion of one man? </blockquote>

I may well have had my paranoid head on when I wrote the piece, but when someone of Bob's standing puts something in print, people will take notice, and because it's in print, people will attach a great deal of importance to the comments. Whether those commentsare right or wrong, it becomes a one sided arguement, a statement even, because of the lack of a right to reply.

But I think it as more the tone of the article that got up my nose in that it seemed to sneer at theangling websites and to almost question the intelligence oftheirusers. The fact is that a vast number of anglers use both the internet and read magazines, does that make them half-stupid?

captain carrott

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Graham Marsden wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote><blockquote class=quoteheader>captain carrott wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

maybe the people in the printed media don't like the fact that they get criticism of their articles when they are exposed to open review, without the editor to hide them from it.</blockquote>

Let's not make the mistake that some do and write as though we mean everyone in a group.

A fewprint media writers also write on websites, giving their time and effort freely on the web as well as getting paid for articles in print.

I think the whole point of this debate should be to demonstrate that both print and web media have their place and the divided viewsare only held by a minority.</blockquote>
there should have been a "some" in my comment there sorry.

Dave Smith

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Kevin Perkins wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote><blockquote class=quoteheader>when someone of Bob's standing puts something in print, people will take notice, and because it's in print, people will attach a great deal of importance to the comments. Whether those commentsare right or wrong, it becomes a one sided argument, a statement even, because of the lack of a right to reply.</blockquote></blockquote>

Of what standing is Bob? isn't he just a bloke who goes fishing like the rest of us?

We all have an opinion just because it's in print doesn't make it any more or less valid.

Kevin I enjoy most of what you write/type, if it were in print I probably wouldn't have the opportunity to read it. please keep at it.

Dave Smith

Reaction score
I think the key difference is inclusion, the reader (IMHO) feels much more included reading a piece on the web where he can make comments.while some printed articles makes the reader feel as though he should feel privileged to read it.

Deanos

Reaction score
Oh hell....I have to be serious for a minute or two!

This is not meant to be a "butter up the boys" posting, but I would like toexpress a few things.

Firstly, Boss...Granville!You are a wise old dude! <u>I respect the hell out of you</u> because when you do decide to put up a comment on the site that you steer so well, it reeks of fairness and a lot of wisdom that only comes through hard won experience in life.

Kevin,I think that your emergence into the "serious" side of angling articles, AND the comments that you have put up are most excellent!....many of the "names" grow away from the people that they are trying to reach with the things they convey, you are a roots writer, still one of the guys that struggles and try’s hard to get better,crack on with all sides of your writing....I respect you, and a lot of the guys on this site do!

Woody,I wish I lived closer to you mate, you have a lot to teach inside and outside of angling, I even forgive you for belting Nancy over the head with a cudgel when you were Bill Sikes the other week, couldn’t you have belted Graham Norton instead!..he is a right bastard.

And Lee,Until you meet Lee, the impression that you may get from someone who speaks the truth as he see's it...and is often right...may be misguided, he is a generous and helpful guy, and if you make it into the lofty world of angling journalism Lee (and I sincerely hope you do), I know that you will always have the time for a chatand some well placed advice.

I have only met Bob Roberts very briefly, you know, he is a <u>strong</u> character, but not an ignorant or boorish human being...he is a good bloke andnot the anti Christ of fishing.

Sorry for going on a bit Stay happy you giants of fishing on FM.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Woody is spot on from my point of view

I'd like to see FM produce a small book of fishing stories along the line of what Kevin writes

Deanos could give the Yorkshire angle,

It would be interesting to see how many people would but such a book

C

Colin North, the one and only

I don't buy any of the weekly or monthly printed publications regularly. I occassionally buy TCF and that's it. I stopped buying the weekly papers, particularly the large format one, because, quite frankly, I think they are overpriced regurgitators. I feel insulted when I open them to find a two page spread about something that comprised 85% photograph, 10% advertising and 5% article. I don't need to see a two page photograph of a fixed spool reel, or a bunch of swim feeders, and I regard such as flaggrant ripping off of the reader. As for "BUMPER" issues, well, they are 80% advertising with the remaining 20% made up as described above.

Lee Swords

Reaction score
Cheers Deanos...It means a lot to me that...seriously.

An FM book!

We could self publish through Lulu books...it would be a piece of ....

What a book that would be!!A chapter from each of us....and the proceeds going to several charities such a cancer research and the ACA

Lord Paul

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Lee Swords wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Cheers Deanos...It means a lot to me that...seriously.

An FM book!

We could self publish through Lulu books...it would be a piece of ....

What a book that would be!!A chapter from each of us....and the proceeds going to several charities such a cancer research and the ACA</blockquote>

Lee I fear my chapter may be a bit small and consist of some strange angling tale that borders on disbelieve but is all true I tell you all true

Ron's chapter would no doubt be on fishing in SA

Lee I've read a few of the things you've wrtiten both om here and in the Angling Star (I think) and I like your style, so get writting

Kevin - you're incharge of pulling this altogether and GM is editor - that's my bit of organisation done.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Matt

You could write about making your own chemical toilet seat box