I Couldn't Believe My Eyes.....

maverick 7

Reaction score
What is the strangest, oddest, weirdest thing you have ever seen on your fishing travels....I have had one or two and here is a couple of examples..

I was fishing on the River Trent many years ago with my mate....we decided the fishing would be better elsewhere so we packed up and started to head for the car to go to our new and hopefully more fruitful venue.

As we was walking along the bank I could see a bloke with his back to us squatted down in shi**ing position....bang in the middle of the path we was walking on. As we neared him I could see that that was exactly what he was doing...In fact with his back to us and his ar*e in the air, we could actually see him doing it...if you know what I mean and if you add his scruffy scrotum to the image you can get some idea of where I'm coming from.

As we came within a couple of yards of him.....he turned around and said to us in a broad Yorkshire accent......"Mornin".......as we passed him we sheepishly replied........."Mornin"..............A very surreal moment.

....now you don't see that so close up every day do you?

Another odd thing I saw whilst fishing on the Trent again....was when we was driving down the old farm yard lane to the Ukranian Centre on the Trent...We drove all the way down alongside a cowfield......and just before we got to the end we saw a dead cow right at the side of the road....it was absolutely massive....all blown up with gas I expect. I'd never seen one of those before in all the years I've been fishing...and I've not seen one since either.

On our way back from our days fishing we decided to call in at the farm and inform him one of his cows had died.....he said..."I'll see to it in the morning.....it's not going anywhere is it"

So what strange and odd things have you guys come across on your journeys to your fishing venues....

Maverick

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Unfortunately or fortunately depending on you view, many courting couples. Never knew I was that quiet when stalking fish :)

Whilst moving stretches on the Teme I stopped the car and witnessed an adult Stoat with her young joined mouth to tail like elephants ( but smaller ) crossing the road in front of me. Absolutely magical.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Hi Peter....I just posted TWO threads by mistake....

I have asked a Mod to delete it for me...

Maverick

I saw a massive pike eating another pike on the surface, the smaller one was still about a foot long, I watched them for ages till my dog disturbed them

maverick 7

Reaction score
I saw a massive pike eating another pike on the surface, the smaller one was still about a foot long, I watched them for ages till my dog disturbed them

That must have been fantastic watching that....pity you didn't have a camera mate.........or did you?

They would have been some great pictures...and I would have loved to have seen them

Maverick

bennygesserit

Reaction score
That must have been fantastic watching that....pity you didn't have a camera mate.........or did you?

They would have been some great pictures...and I would have loved to have seen them

Maverick

I watched them for about a minute never thought to get my phone out shows really why big pike should be returned intact

maverick 7

Reaction score
I watched them for about a minute never thought to get my phone out shows really why big pike should be returned intact

I once saw a pike just cruising on the top of the water with almost all of it's head and back out of the water....it was massive and like the dead cow...I had never seen that before or since.

Maverick

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I once saw a pike just cruising on the top of the water with almost all of it's head and back out of the water....it was massive and like the dead cow...I had never seen that before or since.

Maverick

you reminded me . when I was a kid in the seventies me and my mom would go to fishing contests with my Dad and go and get him a bottle of beer with his lunch , we found a dead sheep and went and knocked the door of what we thought was the farmhouse to "report" it - we were such townies.

Also when fishing with my Dad in Bridgnorth saw a cow fall in the river and pull itself out using a branch it was holding onto with its mouth.

When you are about 8 that is just awesome cos sows are massive.

dangermouse

Reaction score
He's a dog he wears contacts

Surely "doggles" would be better?

doggles-dog-goggles.jpg

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Mouse - your barred !

I was fishing the local pool , which we call the chav pool though I know that p****s people off but it paints the picture , people used to leave garden furniture in the bushes for anyone to use, This woman came down to watch her boyfriend fish , sat down on this white plastic chair - missed and rolled backwards down the bank , this one lad shouts "should have gone to Specsavers Love" and we were all p*****g ourselves.