california norfolk

dave bailey

Reaction score
hello lads i am a course angler/budding beach angler,i am going on holiday for a week to california nr scratby norfolk,i have got a bunglow on a quiet stretch of beach (wakefield court) does anybody know if its any good for a fish or two.grateful for any info thanks dave bailey

Dan Tungate

Reaction score
Hello Dave Bailey..

You would be better off putting your question up on the World Sea Fishing site's East Coast forum. I post up there often myself and there are quite a few guys who fish the area regularly.

I'm from just down the road but havn't fished there for a year or two..

You can get bait and a few bits and bobs from Scratby Garden Centre which is only 20 mins walk - 5 mins drive down the road.
This time of year you can expect to get a few small Bass up to around a couple of pounds with the outside chance of a bigger one, Flouder, Dabs along with the Pout and pin Whiting.
I was down there for a look a week or so back and theres a pronounced sandbar 20 yards out max at low water with what we call round these parts a 'low' beach side of it. A low is a generally a narrow, shallow section of water in-between a bank and the beach..

If you pop a bait over the bank at High water you stand a good chance of a few fish.

Peeler Crab would be the bait to use if you could get hold of any. The tackle shops in Yarmouth would be your best bet for that.

If you havn't got sea rods you'll be fine as long as the weathers fair, and you don't try and over-do the casting, using Carp rods with 3 or 4 oz leads with eithe rone or two hook rigs..

Good luck.

Let me know if I can help anymore..

Dan T

dave bailey

Reaction score
cheers dan

looking forward to it now,i know you can`t expect to catch everytime buts its nice to know there may be a fish or two,ive seen the sandbar you was talking about on the webcam attached to the bungalow which overlooks the beach.i`ve got a decent daiwa beach rod and reel so looking forward to giving it a go,thanks for info much appreciated,will let you know if i manage to catch going on saturday once again thanks for info

dave b

Dan Tungate

Reaction score
No worries Dave.

From what I can gather it's fishing better at the top or bottom of the tides. I reckon you've got a fair chance of a few schollies at the least.
Keep your eyes 'peeled' for a few peeler crab from some of the tackle shops if you pass by, thats what they've been coming out on along the coast.
I wouldn't blast it to the horizon either, you can probs catch 20 yards from the shore and at high water I'd fancy dropping a bait your side of the bar..

Good luck mate I might even have a go myself round that way next week..