Something to do during the closed season

paul80

Reaction score
Hi all

How about this for an idea, anyone up for it.

One of the biggest problems for anyone who wants to try river fishing is not knowing who if anyone controls the fishing on any particular river or any particular section of that river.

So how about starting a directory of Rivers with know sections listed and identified as free, club, Day ticket etc so that forum members visiting new areas know where they can fish and who they have to contact to pay.

Anyone up for it.

Thanks

Paul

maverick 7

Reaction score
Hi all

How about this for an idea, anyone up for it.

One of the biggest problems for anyone who wants to try river fishing is not knowing who if anyone controls the fishing on any particular river or any particular section of that river.

So how about starting a directory of Rivers with know sections listed and identified as free, club, Day ticket etc so that forum members visiting new areas know where they can fish and who they have to contact to pay.

Anyone up for it.

Thanks

Paul

Sounds like a great idea Paul.....but the logistics of such an exercise would be fairly immense ...don't you think?

I am in a club at the moment until ....No I'm not, I have just realised it has now expired...silly me.

What I was going to say was.....seeing that I possibly wouldn't be in a club next year, it would be nice to know of a few good stretches of river dotted around the country.

......I do believe though Paul, that the Greedy Clubs have already sifted all those out for themselves....

....but count me in Paul and here's one for starters...

It is accessible by the A1 Pits.....drive all the way up the Trent bankside under the A1 bridge and right to the end of where you are allowed to fish....it is a great stretch and it is bang opposite Winthorpe Lake and the stretch belonging to the club I am in. It does get busy though.

Hope that is OK for a start Paul...

Maverick

paul80

Reaction score
He is a couple I know of

The River medway is free to fish on the bit that runs through Maidstone and upstream from Alington Lock, by the Malta Inn.

Paul

beerweasel

Reaction score
It would be awesome if it used google earth and you just put the cursor on the
river bank or stillwater and it told you what the status is (ie;private,day ticket,club or free).

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Maverick I wouldn't agree that greedy clubs have sifted out all the best bits.
Get yourself a Landranger map of the rivers you are interested in and walk or drive down every access point logging who owns/rents what. You'll be surprised how many sections are not controlled by anyone and often, if you're polite and ask in the right manner, you can drop on a gem.

As for the original post/idea. Very commendable but as has been said a massive undertaking. Good luck though.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Maverick I wouldn't agree that greedy clubs have sifted out all the best bits.
Get yourself a Landranger map of the rivers you are interested in and walk or drive down every access point logging who owns/rents what. You'll be surprised how many sections are not controlled by anyone and often, if you're polite and ask in the right manner, you can drop on a gem.

As for the original post/idea. Very commendable but as has been said a massive undertaking. Good luck though.

You cannot blame clubs or individuals for taking the best beats no point in taking the rubbish ones put yourself in their position . It is very true what you say JP a little bit of effort can pay big dividends and approaching the owners in the right manner is a must they can only say yes or no.

paul80

Reaction score
Thanks for all the posts guys.

Yes it could quite well be a massive undertaking, especially if no one contributes.

I am quite happy to collect and correlate all the data so all that is needed is for everyone to be forthcoming with the data for their local river.

Just a few posts for each river is all it would take to get a very useful and workable listing, that might even do some good to halt the decline in coarse fishing. Instead of it all going over to commercial carp ponds.

Paul