Oz 2013 Report 2

super snatcher

Reaction score
After losing that big flathead on my first session I decided to go back to the same venue for my second session. This time I had my good lady for company. Again the initial plan was to get some yellowtail so that we could use them for livebait for the bigger fish.

This was our fishing spot and it was like fishing South Shields pier when the mackerel were in. I will not be fishing here again at as weekend.

IMG_0302p_zps8a83412c.jpg

I rigged Dorothy and myself up with light rigs and size 14 hooks tipped with squid. I crumbed some bread in directly below us to get the small fish on the feed and this worked a treat. The tiddlers were at the bait every drop but we simply could not hook up. After an hour at this and no fish I decided to get them by other means - where do you think my fishing nickname Snatcher came from lol !!!!!!!!

Anyway I got a couple of fish into my bucket and rigged up for livebaiting on my heavier gear. After a few seconds the bait got hammered but I could not hook up. This happened time after time. I suspected Chinamen Leather jackets or bream. The bay seemed alive with small fish.

Just at this point a guy fishing with live squid just down from me got stuck into decent kingfish. What a great scrap - and here is a picture of the fish.

IMG_0301p_zps1444cff8.jpg

We stuck it out for a while longer but as more fishermen arrived I decided to move around the corner a bit looking for a quieter spot

It was just as busy in the next bay but I did find a spot for us to fish from.
IMG_0306p_zps6af3b0b0.jpg

Here is Dorothy chilling out

IMG_0308_zps489b8bdf.jpg

I tried every method at this spot - livebaiting/squid/pilchards/worm but the small fish were trashing every bait within seconds. There was a bit of drama though as a boy hooked into a VERY large stingray on a squid bait just a few yards away from us. He had it on for about a minute before it bust him off on 20lb mono.

It was an idyllic place to fish though and got even better when a booze cruise dropped anchor about 60 yards away and the young bikini clad ladies started diving in lol

IMG_0307p_zps2882d555.jpg

You do not see many paddle boaders going past North Shields fish quay either !!!

IMG_0310p_zps9bd7b3b7.jpg

As the day went on more and more anglers arrived,it was rammed !!! Well it was a bite a cast but could not get past the small fish and also could not hook up despite trying all hook sizes.

As far as the fishing went it had been very poor but had enjoyed it. I will be trying another venue on my next outing - and I have just the spot in mind.

Took a picture of this line bin which was beside us - a good idea for the UK I reckon

IMG_0309p_zps26eddd93.jpg

Hope to post up a fish picture on my next report !!!!!!!

John