What main line?

S

Steven Aisthorpe

Can anyone give me any advice on what main line to use? I was thinking of buting Daiwa Sensor because it is strong, reliable and CHEAP!!!
Anyone got any other ideas?

R

Roto fryer

for cheapness u cant beat sensor. for me its suffix synergy @ 15lb. very tough: bit of strech blah blah

G

Gary Knowles

Agree - Suffix Synery, top stiff. About ?15 for 1000 yards. I've yet to use better and why risk cheap line ? ?

R

Robert Draper

I've been using the Fox Barbuster stuff as my local tackle shop seemed to stock nothing else for a while. I'm not too happy with it, doesn't seem to have any abrasion resistance and it kinks faster than a back-bench MP. Would I be better to ditch it and go for the Synergy?

C

Carp Angler

I use Synergy for most of my mono carping, with the occasional exception.

C

Carp Angler

Robert,
why are you wearing a toga?
Are you the re-incarnation of John Belushi?

R

Robert Draper

I am often compared to John Belushi and did spend my uni years wearing a toga as did most of the Old Deanarians. However in the photo I am being beaten up by a couple of young blonde ladies at the Karate club. Two hours of punishment for three quid, bargain!.

PS Old Karate suits dyed green and waxed with barbour dressing make really good cheap waterproof jackets that you can throw away when they get too smelly.

R

Robert Draper

Stuart, neither - Wado Ryu and occasional Ryukyu Kobudo (nunchaku, bo, sai, tonfa).

I'll change the photo to a fishing one when I:
A Catch a fish worth photographing
B on a day where there is enough light
C when someone else is around to press the button...

R

Roto fryer

ah but which wado ryu?
there is the real one and the copy one

R

Robert Draper

Roto, as far as I know there are only three main groups (ignoring recent splits which don't affect the style as yet) The Japanese Wado group, the Wado-Kai and Traditional Wado-Ryu which is the one I (and a lot of other people in britain) practice. Find me on the Derby Karate Club bulletin board (www.derbykarateclub.freeserve.co.uk)if you want to discuss Karate as I'm sure there are very few carp anglers who can follow a word of this :).

Back on topic cause I really want to know before the season starts (ie it gets warm enough) is there anything better than Barbuster for about the same price (?8/1000m)?

C

Carp Angler

Write a decent article for Graham to publish and you'll get a free spool.

You can't get cheaper than that.

C

Cakey

Rik
how much writing would I have to do to get Stuart some new rods??

R

Roto fryer

i used to train with tatsu suzuki in the 1970's.
but i still like suffix synergy. i tried pro gold but could not get on with that one. for my spod i use 8 lb sensor with a shock leader but would never use it for my fishing.
help the poor darling boys

C

Carp Angler

Steven,
it would appear that way, but many threads have been written about line and good/bad/choice etc etc

The only conclusion is that everyone likes different lines and what one would say was total rubbish, another would say is brilliant, although the majority come out of the same factory.

Have a search through the archives, there have been one or two 100+ threads on the subject, the latest was only about a month or 2 ago.

If I had to buy line, I would buy Shimano Technium as it is abrasion resistant, has a dulled finish and casts a long, long way, the downside is that it is expensive, but it is a braid/mono hybrid.